Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    TC still has the Barves taking Wright. http://www.talkingchop.com/2017/6/12...day-mock-draft

But they also mention Hiura. This is exactly like last year when whispers of Anderson (consensus 15-20 guy drafted to save money) crept in at the last minute. They said this about the Rays going under slot at 4 for Bubba:

"It's a reach, but I don't hate it as much as I would if the Braves took Thompson. That's because Atlanta’s next pick is 41. Tampa picks again at 31 and 40, so they pick ahead of the Braves two more times and have more money to play with."

So everyone but the Barves FO gets it, oh well.

They also have Lewis going to the DBacks at 7, which isn't too bad since that means he will be a Barve by this time next year anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    If Lewis or Wright are available, I don't know how you justify anything else. I will still be optimistic about our pick until he fails, but I will have a hard time being excited.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    TC still has the Barves taking Wright. http://www.talkingchop.com/2017/6/12...day-mock-draft

But they also mention Hiura. This is exactly like last year when whispers of Anderson (consensus 15-20 guy drafted to save money) crept in at the last minute. They said this about the Rays going under slot at 4 for Bubba:

"It's a reach, but I don't hate it as much as I would if the Braves took Thompson. That's because Atlanta’s next pick is 41. Tampa picks again at 31 and 40, so they pick ahead of the Braves two more times and have more money to play with."

They also have Lewis going to the DBacks at 7, which isn't too bad since that means he will be a Barve by this time next year anyways.
    I don't really see TC as a unique news source, so I don't really value their opinion much. It's pretty much content aggregating by fans without sources.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-12-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    LOL, the posi-Barves are already assembling to defend taking someone other than BPA at 5.
    No, people are suggesting that you or I may not know who BPA actually is. That the Braves may have a BPA that differs from what Pipeline or BA think isn't a crazy thought.
    Last edited by Preacher; 06-12-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    But they also mention Hiura. This is exactly like last year when whispers of Anderson (consensus 15-20 guy drafted to save money) crept in at the last minute.
    Pipeline and BA both had Anderson at #13 last year and Minorleagueball had him at #9. Where's this consensus 15-20 guy you are talking about?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts

...and the nega-Barves are lining up to create the FO sucks narrative before the Draft even starts. I guess it will save time later when they pick a guy sure to bust.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    No, people are suggesting that you or I may not know who BPA actually is. That the Braves may have a BPA that differs from what Pipeline or BA think isn't a crazy thought.
    LOL, still trying to call Anderson BPA. Same exact line every time. I expect you will use the same line again when the Barves draft Hiura.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    ...and the nega-Barves are lining up to create the FO sucks narrative before the Draft even starts. I guess it will save time later when they pick a guy sure to bust.
    I think I, and almost every other poster with half a clue, have clearly spelled out who they want the Barves to draft. Almost everyone has also given very reasonable explanations for wanting those players.

I foresee very little flipflopping, but nice try at a straw man.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    This Hiura narrative is really starting to bum me out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    LOL, still trying to call Anderson BPA. Same exact line every time. I expect you will use the same line again when the Barves draft Hiura.
    You said he was a 'consensus 15-20' guy, you are wrong. That's all I was responding to. That's just an incorrect narrative.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    why can't you call Anderson BPA? The braves said he was. He has performed like a top guy. You can make that argument. If you drafted them today what would the rank be?

And just like Trades and FAs it's BPA + money. If you think one guy is 90% of the other guy but you can get the 90% guy for half the money.....now I've got a new BPA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    You said he was a 'consensus 15-20' guy, you are wrong. That's all I was responding to. That's just an incorrect narrative.
    Enscheff typically doesn't respond to posts that show he's indisputably wrong. Plausible deniability I guess.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-12-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    why can't you call Anderson BPA? The braves said he was. He has performed like a top guy. You can make that argument. If you drafted them today what would the rank be?

And just like Trades and FAs it's BPA + money. If you think one guy is 90% of the other guy but you can get the 90% guy for half the money.....now I've got a new BPA.
    If the Barves draft Hiura today, he was not BPA. If Hiura suddenly turns into the top prospect in the game, he was not BPA today.

No matter what Anderson has done since draft day, or does in the future, he was not BPA. That's all folks are saying when they state the fact the Barves didn't take BPA.

Anderson is a good prospect. He is doing pretty well so far as a pro. He might very well be a good MLB pitcher. But he was not BPA on draft day.

That isn't a slam on Anderson. That doesn't make me negative. That doesn't mean I hate him, or hate the Braves. All it means is that he wasn't BPA, and was selected to save money...it is a statement of fact. A fact acknowledged by every single baseball site unaffiliated with the Barves.

I want the Barves to draft BPA today, unlike what they did last year. Drafting BPA is the best way to get the best players in the future.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-12-2017 at 12:17 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Enscheff typically doesn't respond to posts that show he's indisputably wrong. Plausible deniability I guess.
    Kinda like how you don't pay up on lost bets by ignoring the 3 times I told you what your sig was supposed to be?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    You listed the rankings from 2 sites that happened to fit your narrative.

Look, I understand you are desperate to prove me "wrong" about something...anything, so you latch onto any small fact you can use to prove yourself "right" and call it a win while you pat yourself on the back for being clever. That's why "that was all you were responding to". Like the little twerp in class pointing out spelling mistakes on the blackboard. Good job Little Sally!

So good job...doesn't change the fact that Anderson wasn't BPA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Kinda like how you don't pay up on lost bets by ignoring the 3 times I told you what your sig was supposed to be?
    So you admit that you don't acknowledge when you're proven wrong. Thanks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    So you admit that you don't acknowledge when you're proven wrong. Thanks.
    I just responded to his "proof". Sorry it takes a while to get through responses to the group of derps arguing with me.

Nice job side stepping the fact you didn't pay up on our bet...yet again.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

Look, I understand you are desperate to prove me "wrong" about something...anything, so you latch onto any small fact you can use to prove yourself "right" and call it a win while you pat yourself on the back for being clever. That's why "that was all you were responding to". Like the little twerp in class pointing out spelling mistakes on the blackboard. Good job Little Sally!

should we use Fangraphs where he was at 10.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    should we use Fangraphs where he was at 10.
    LOL, you guys are so clever! You found a nit to pick to prove yourselves "right".

Good job Little Sally and Little Billy haha!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

Look, I understand you are desperate to prove me "wrong" about something...anything, so you latch onto any small fact you can use to prove yourself "right" and call it a win while you pat yourself on the back for being clever.

I listed 3 sites.

And I don't know why you dig your heels so desperately into the sand on stuff like this; you can't even have discussions. It gets to the point that you stretch facts, or just make things up to try and prove your points. He wasn't a consensus 15-20 player.

I've said in the past that I think Anderson was legitimately in a tier of players the Braves might have considered BPA, I really don't think its always so cut and dry that ONE guy stands above the rest at a particular spot. There can be a few players picked in an area that are close enough that either is BPA, and I think IA fit into that mold. The fact that he also saved a considerable amount of money cemented the deal.

Now you can disagree with all of that, while still having a reasonable discussion.