Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1271

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    You know it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to tab Baz, and if he does prove to be a difficult sign, let him go to TCU and get two top-10 picks next year.

And if the signability concerns prove to be mostly unfounded, you get a pretty good prep-arm, Baz's profile is really strong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Heyman says Royce Lewis has a high price tag.
    He should. And that shouldn't dissuade anybody from drafting him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Come off your ego; its not about proving you 'wrong'.

We disagree, its really fine.

Do you think there's any chance that a guy ranked ~10 might be seen as BPA by a team drafting #3? We can both agree that this is hardly an exact science and opinions can vary quite a bit between scouts.
    If it wasn't some desperate attempt to prove me "wrong" about something, why was it literally the only thing you commented on? I don't mind folks around the board taking pleasure in proving me "wrong", but let's call things what they are.

You can't see that you are just blurting out the same company line over and over? A line that nobody unaffiliated with the Barves agrees with? What will you say when the Barves take Hiura? Let me guess: "Do you think there's any chance that a guy ranked ~15 might be seen as BPA by a team drafting #5? We can both agree that this is hardly an exact science and opinions can vary quite a bit between scouts."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    You know it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to tab Baz, and if he does prove to be a difficult sign, let him go to TCU and get two top-10 picks next year.

And if the signability concerns prove to be mostly unfounded, you get a pretty good prep-arm, Baz's profile is really strong.
    I suggested this a few days ago. Assuming the Barves have another Top 10 pick next draft (very probable assumption), they could essentially force the top player to them at 6 by offering him more money than the team picking #1 could afford.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Last year I was o.k. With drafting an under slot player at 3 because it was a weak draft at the top. This year that's not the case.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    DOB says everything he heard from Braves people points to Wright or Austin Beck.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If it wasn't some desperate attempt to prove me "wrong" about something, why was it literally the only thing you commented on? I don't mind folks around the board taking pleasure in proving me "wrong", but let's call things what they are.

You can't see that you are just blurting out the same company line over and over? A line that nobody unaffiliated with the Barves agrees with? What will you say when the Barves take Hiura? Let me guess: "Do you think there's any chance that a guy ranked ~15 might be seen as BPA by a team drafting #5? We can both agree that this is hardly an exact science and opinions can vary quite a bit between scouts."
    I don't care what the Braves said, every team in the draft gets their "BPA". Its true in every sport.

I look at his stuff, project ability, his ranking and the fact that he had some helium before the draft and I don't see a jump in thinking that maybe IA was in that group for BPA? Just look at some of the guys around him, Pint had major control questions, Puk had 3rd pitch questions, Ray had hit tool questions, Garrett's stuff wasn't quite as good, there were some attitude questions with Groome... who was the obvious BPA that should have gone at #3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugfan View Post
    Last year I was o.k. With drafting an under slot player at 3 because it was a weak draft at the top. This year that's not the case.
    This feels like a really weak-draft at the top too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I definitely won't be excited about Hiura. I wasn't excited about Anderson until I read more about him. I've read lots about the underslot guys this go around. Beck would be the only underslot guy I'm happy about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Honest question that I don't have the answer too.... is there a minimum you have to offer a draft slot..?

Seems like there has to be.

What if you're picking 5th, and really don't love any of the options there, why couldn't you pick guy that you like/don't love and offer him way under slot.... lets say you pick Baz and offer him $2 million (just throwing numbers out there), he probably turns it down and you get two picks in the top-10 next year. Basically just a strategy to either get a highly-touted guy way under slot, but mostly for going all out in the following draft.

I've always wondered with this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    DOB says everything he heard from Braves people points to Wright or Austin Beck.
    I've gotten more excited about Beck the closer we've gotten to the draft. I'd be onboard there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Honest question that I don't have the answer too.... is there a minimum you have to offer a draft slot..?

What if you're picking 5th, and really don't love any of the options there, why couldn't you pick guy that you like/don't love and offer him way under slot.... lets say you pick Baz and offer him $2 million (just throwing numbers out there), he probably turns it down and you get two picks in the top-10 next year. Basically just a strategy to either get a highly-touted guy way under slot, but mostly for going all out in the following draft.

I know most seniors drafted late usually get about $10,000. Maybe it's that? I'm not sure.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

interesting.. so what prevents a team drafting a guy at #5 say Baz to keep example same. offer him 1 million.. then cut a deal with a guy like Beck for #41 saying they will give him 4.5 million, plus another deal with a guy like Tristen Beck at ~70 for ~3 million.. you still get top talent, you get pick #6 and slot value for the draft next year..

there has to be something in place to prevent this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Heck yes! Those two or Lewis and I'm stoked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    You lose the slot value if you dont sign the player. This applies for the first 10 rounds then after that there is a base slot value of 100k and anything over that comes from the bonus pool.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    You lose the slot value if you dont sign the player. This applies for the first 10 rounds then after that there is a base slot value of 100k and anything over that comes from the bonus pool.
    yes, that is right.. I knew that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts

I believe there is a minimum, like 30% of slot value. If I remember correctly the Astros dropped their offer to the lowest allowable amount for Aiken when they didnt like his medicals. There was some fiasco many years ago where a few first round draft picks were declared free agents because teams had to offer a contract within 2 weeks or something like that. I know its a different system but crazy **** like that has happened.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    interesting.. so what prevents a team drafting a guy at #5 say Baz to keep example same. offer him 1 million.. then cut a deal with a guy like Beck for #41 saying they will give him 4.5 million, plus another deal with a guy like Tristen Beck at ~70 for ~3 million.. you still get top talent, you get pick #6 and slot value for the draft next year..

there has to be something in place to prevent this.
    you don't get the slot value of the pick unless he signs, so Baz would say no to that and wouldn't have the money to sign Beck for 4.5 million.

The better question is, what if you wanted to play hard-ball with a kid who really doesn't want to go to college? Draft Beck and offer a 'take it or leave it' deal for $2 million? How many kids are going to turn that down to go to college and have to re-enter the draft the following year?

Two things; I'm not suggesting to do this because its obviously not the best way to enter into a partnership with a player, secondly I'm not sure if there's something in place that would protect players from teams trying to do this to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugfan View Post
    Honestly feels like a weak draft in the first round to me.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

I would think it would be a sticking point for GMs because any year you don't add an impact talent in the draft when you're picking that high. A year of lost development is big for guys that have a short time frame to turn a team around.