Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Several of the mocks I've seen have us taking Royce Lewis or Beck

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I like Bukauskas a lot, he's probably my favorite of the college arms. There are just HS bats in this draft I'd rather take.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Several of the mocks I've seen have us taking Royce Lewis or Beck
    Sign me up for that. Also getting more interested in Gore.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (04-19-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I like Bukauskas a lot, he's probably my favorite of the college arms. There are just HS bats in this draft I'd rather take.
    Pass on the 5'11 pitcher at pick #5. No thanks to the "speed" guy that K's all the time.

Based on my limited knowledge, give me Beck or Lewis. I'd even prefer to take a chance on Adell.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I like Beck if he's there, but think it's going to be awfully tough to expect us to pass on J. B. if he's there for the taking given what we've seen from the brass thus far. You can't be the Mutts of a couple years ago (which appears to be the goal) - with 3 guys who could become legitimate "Aces" developed from within if you don't have an overwhelming number of arms with that type of upside in the system given flame-outs. For all the arms we've already stockpiled, I personally think it's quite easy to make the argument that we're not there just yet. JMO, but I think it's somewhat safe to remove Newcomb and Sims from the list of guys who can become TOR starters before long. That leaves you with Fried, Allard, Gohara, and Anderson. While I love Soroka and Weigel, I see their ceilings as Julio-like, and that's a best-case scenario. Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all - and if they could get there I think we'd all be thrilled - but I will agree with those who don't see Teheran as an "Ace". However, I also don't think that keeps you from winning a Championship with him at the top of your rotation either - IF you have the right pieces around him.

Much like last year, there just hasn't been that hitter that's established himself as a "must-have" over a starter with TOR upside - YET - for me. I'm a believer in Acuna and think that Maitan's going to move fast, meaning we've got two impact bats coming from within relatively quickly. You'll have the opportunity to get Moustakas (who's 28) either at the break or over the winter if you like. The list of available free-agent OFs and 3Bs when Markakis' deal is up includes McCutchen (30), Adam Jones (31), Michael Brantley (29), Charlie Blackmon (30), A. J. Pollock (29), and Josh Donaldson (31), assuming you pass on Machado and Harper - which we all expect the Braves to do.

If you can replace Nick with Acuna, you then have Marcel Ozuna (26), Yasiel Puig (26), Khris Davis (29), Nolan Arenado (26), and Anthony Rendon (26) to bid on when Kemp's contract runs out.

I guess my point is that there are going to be plenty of bats available as we've got money coming off the books, but we don't expect to be picking in the first five picks again after this summer, so grabbing another really high upside arm while we have the chance might not be a bad idea unless one of these bats doesn't do something to really separate himself from the pack pretty soon.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I just really like legit HS bats, and Beck, Lewis, and Adell can all be that. I would be ok with Bukauskas if they truly believe he's the best player left on the board, but I want us to take best available, and personally I like those 3 bats more than Bukauskas.

You don't pass up on a HS bat in the draft because you have some pretty good FA options. You're right, this may be our last time picking this high for a while, so we need to make it worth our while. Just like it may be the last time to get a really high-upside arm, it also may be the last time to get a really high-upside bat. And I like the upside of those bats more than the upside of Bukauskas' arm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Really interesting read from Baseball America, talking about strikeout rates and comparing Jeren Kendall and Virginia CF Adam Haseley.

Haseley is an interesting guy I need to read some more about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    I probably should link the article: http://bba.am/MptZbv#kyhxDDr7qc3hUeci.97

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Enscheff (04-20-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Yeah, Haseley is an interesting guy. My prediction is that come draft time, Kendall doesn't go in the top 15 picks. I think Haseley will go above him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Unless Green is there I want us to take a bat. And with Lewis, Beck, and Adell there will be one there waiting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I like Beck if he's there, but think it's going to be awfully tough to expect us to pass on J. B. if he's there for the taking given what we've seen from the brass thus far. You can't be the Mutts of a couple years ago (which appears to be the goal) - with 3 guys who could become legitimate "Aces" developed from within if you don't have an overwhelming number of arms with that type of upside in the system given flame-outs. For all the arms we've already stockpiled, I personally think it's quite easy to make the argument that we're not there just yet. JMO, but I think it's somewhat safe to remove Newcomb and Sims from the list of guys who can become TOR starters before long. That leaves you with Fried, Allard, Gohara, and Anderson. While I love Soroka and Weigel, I see their ceilings as Julio-like, and that's a best-case scenario. Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all - and if they could get there I think we'd all be thrilled - but I will agree with those who don't see Teheran as an "Ace". However, I also don't think that keeps you from winning a Championship with him at the top of your rotation either - IF you have the right pieces around him.

Much like last year, there just hasn't been that hitter that's established himself as a "must-have" over a starter with TOR upside - YET - for me. I'm a believer in Acuna and think that Maitan's going to move fast, meaning we've got two impact bats coming from within relatively quickly. You'll have the opportunity to get Moustakas (who's 28) either at the break or over the winter if you like. The list of available free-agent OFs and 3Bs when Markakis' deal is up includes McCutchen (30), Adam Jones (31), Michael Brantley (29), Charlie Blackmon (30), A. J. Pollock (29), and Josh Donaldson (31), assuming you pass on Machado and Harper - which we all expect the Braves to do.

If you can replace Nick with Acuna, you then have Marcel Ozuna (26), Yasiel Puig (26), Khris Davis (29), Nolan Arenado (26), and Anthony Rendon (26) to bid on when Kemp's contract runs out.

I guess my point is that there are going to be plenty of bats available as we've got money coming off the books, but we don't expect to be picking in the first five picks again after this summer, so grabbing another really high upside arm while we have the chance might not be a bad idea unless one of these bats doesn't do something to really separate himself from the pack pretty soon.
    I just don't have a whole lot of interest in the Braves picking someone whose upside is a decent hitting, strong fielding CF or SS with an early pick. I'd only want to take a high contact, power hitter that can competently field a position. If a sure thing at 3B or catcher was there, then I'd consider drafting for need, but would be very careful.

If that guy isn't there, I would go with the best pitcher available.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I just don't have a whole lot of interest in the Braves picking someone whose upside is a decent hitting, strong fielding CF or SS with an early pick. I'd only want to take a high contact, power hitter that can competently field a position. If a sure thing at 3B or catcher was there, then I'd consider drafting for need, but would be very careful.

If that guy isn't there, I would go with the best pitcher available.
    Lewis and Beck both project to be potentially plus with the hit tool and power. Adell projects to be plus in power, but his hit tool is more in question.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Lewis and Beck both project to be potentially plus with the hit tool and power. Adell projects to be plus in power, but his hit tool is more in question.
    Beck seems like an interesting possibility.

Not crazy about Royce, not sure about Adell.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Beck seems like an interesting possibility.

Not crazy about Royce, not sure about Adell.
    What is it you're not fond of about Lewis? Just curious.

I think Beck is probably my #1 right now, but if the swing-and-miss concerns for Adell have subsided at least to some degree, then he'd probably be there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Beck's videos are so impressive because of the bat speed, but it seems like there are very real questions about him against elite pitching because the ACL tear kept him off the showcase circuit most guys see a lot of. That scares me about him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    What is it you're not fond of about Lewis? Just curious.

I think Beck is probably my #1 right now, but if the swing-and-miss concerns for Adell have subsided at least to some degree, then he'd probably be there.

Actually, I was too strong. I do like him. He seems like he could be an all star 2b.

But I guess I have a higher power profile in my head.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Beck's videos are so impressive because of the bat speed, but it seems like there are very real questions about him against elite pitching because the ACL tear kept him off the showcase circuit most guys see a lot of. That scares me about him.

Beck is sort of all projection/upside sky is the limit dream right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Beck is sort of all projection/upside sky is the limit dream right now.
    Agreed. I was watching the MLB Network profile on Trout the other night, and it sounds like that was his story in the draft -- not seen a ton, rarely against elite arms. I'd imagine there are a ton of other cases where guys popped up without much scouting history of facing elite arms who got drafted fairly high and were never heard of again. It's a risky route to take, but I'm not totally opposed to it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I probably should link the article: http://bba.am/MptZbv#kyhxDDr7qc3hUeci.97
    Pretty good article, but I find it funny that they are terming K rate as "analytics". BA is still in the stone ages, so that's not surprising I guess.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-20-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I like toolsy high upside players HS hitters but I like for them to have some natural contact ability. A player like Cody Johnson was considered high upside because he had huge power, all he needed to do was learn how to make contact. That's not high upside to me. If you cant make contact consistent contact vs fastballs then God help you when it comes to breaking pitches.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.