Page 28 of 64 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    ? Like, immediately? If so, you likely haven't paid attention to the MLB Draft since Horner.
    No. Not imminently. Future is the key word. Funny assumption though.
    Last edited by Coach_Chris; 06-02-2017 at 06:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Vientos also was having a private workout yesterday. Would love to get him with our second pick.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Vientos also was having a private workout yesterday. Would love to get him with our second pick.
    He checks a lot of boxes that our front office generally likes, but I'm not expecting him to make it to 41. I'd guess he's an overslot guy to teams with a Comp A pick.

I think I read that he's one of the youngest guys in the draft. Should be 17 years, 6 months old on draft day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    He checks a lot of boxes that our front office generally likes, but I'm not expecting him to make it to 41. I'd guess he's an overslot guy to teams with a Comp A pick.

I think I read that he's one of the youngest guys in the draft. Should be 17 years, 6 months old on draft day.
    That's why I'm hoping we can trade for a comp pick and maybe get him... but not likely I know

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    That's why I'm hoping we can trade for a comp pick and maybe get him... but not likely I know
    I think the Twins are the place to look for a possible trade. Their bullpen is horrible. I wonder if they'd be interested in Johnson or Vizcaino for their competitive balance pick at #35.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think the Twins are the place to look for a possible trade. Their bullpen is horrible. I wonder if they'd be interested in Johnson or Vizcaino for their competitive balance pick at #35.
    Man, that would be sweet... I'd jump all over that if it could get done.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_Chris View Post
    No. Not imminently. Future is the key word. Funny assumption though.
    I asked because Beck is as likely to be that guy as anybody in this draft. So I'm unsure why that would cause you to cool on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I asked because Beck is as likely to be that guy as anybody in this draft. So I'm unsure why that would cause you to cool on him.
    He was talking about Gore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    It'd be great to see Beck/Lewis, Vientos, Tristan Beck.... That'd be a hell of a top 3 if we could acquire a comp pick. I can dream, right?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    He was talking about Gore
    Goodness, I'm dumb.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I like the Haseley guy a lot, people would flip their lids because he doesn't have the 'upside' of Beck but he sounds like a really good hitter who is plenty good defensively. Only knock is he's not going to be a masher. I'm Ok with that.

I think it's almost a coin flip if you take a guy like Beck.
    Haseley also seems like the type to add a bit of power once he gets into a professional training program and adds a bit of weight. I like Haseley as the safest pick among the college hitters (outside of McKay who's a 1b).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Perfect Game's updated mock: https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles...?article=13755

McKay- Greene-Lewis-Wright-Gore.

5. Atlanta Braves | MacKenzie Gore, lhp, Whiteville HS (N.C.)
    The Braves are known to covet Kyle Wright, and had been linked to prep outfielder Austin Beck earlier this spring--though that has died down substantially. Gore is getting play as early as potentially No. 1 overall at the moment; and it's well-known at this point that the Braves like him a lot. They'd be pleased with this pick at this spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Also thought this note in the Tampa section at 4 was interesting: There's also been a relatively consistent rumor this spring of SoCal prep bat Nicholas Pratto in play here.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    So it seems like nobody seems to know what is true and what is not. Some are saying we've recently been in on Beck pretty hard, now PG is saying we were earlier and now we're not. Who the heck knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    So it seems like nobody seems to know what is true and what is not. Some are saying we've recently been in on Beck pretty hard, now PG is saying we were earlier and now we're not. Who the heck knows.
    I have a hard time believing we wouldn't still be on him if he had yet another work out with us yesterday.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Perfect Game's updated mock: https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles...?article=13755

McKay- Greene-Lewis-Wright-Gore.

5. Atlanta Braves | MacKenzie Gore, lhp, Whiteville HS (N.C.)
    The Braves are known to covet Kyle Wright, and had been linked to prep outfielder Austin Beck earlier this spring--though that has died down substantially. Gore is getting play as early as potentially No. 1 overall at the moment; and it's well-known at this point that the Braves like him a lot. They'd be pleased with this pick at this spot.
    I think Gore and Haseley are the two I most want at this point.

I really like just about everything I've read about Gore in terms of stuff and athleticism.

Haseley already has a strong hit tool and defensively projects to be above average in the outfield. I'm actually really drawn to the fact that he's a much safer bet than a guy like Beck.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_Chris View Post
    The competition he has faced has not been above-average to put it nicely. The time that I saw him pitch he went against a larger School that wasn't very good and he struggled. The smaller teams that have a hard time fielding a team he rolls through. On his summer showcase team he participated on he was a very good arm coming out of the bullpen. Questions like that are what make me doubt we should take him with the fifth pick.

When I saw him it was earlier in the High School season; so there is a chance something could have clicked. It feels like he's just full of helium right now rising up the draft boards.

And this could be a me problem. My perception of a first-round draft pick especially a top-five pick is one that's going to come in and make a Major Impact. One that will sell a lot of jerseys and one that could be a huge difference maker in the future. So maybe my expectations are a little too high.
    You should probably alert the rest of the baseball world. Everyone else seems to think he is a top shelf arm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    I just read that Gore is a Boras client. Wonder if that has any impact on our view of him?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I just read that Gore is a Boras client. Wonder if that has any impact on our view of him?
    Probably only if we somehow pick up a Competitive Balance pick and are trying to spread the money out. We'd still have control over him for six years if he made it without having to deal with Borass other that an arby hearing.

Borass hardballed the Fish last year in the Braxton Garrett negotiatiotions and ultimately got him $400,000 over slot, but you've got to figure the Braves wouldn't let that stand in the way if he is the top guy on their board at that point.

I'm sure they'd prefer not to deal with him just as everyone else does though.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    My draft favorites are probably Gore, Beck, and Bukauskas. I think they all project to make big impacts. But if anything else is true about the draft, it's that we're all taking shots in the dark and hoping we're right. The FO has only a slightly better chance of being right than we are. So it's probably just best to enjoy the debate in this process, keep our predictions in mind so we can say "I told you so" later, and then just root for the guys we pick either way.