Page 42 of 64 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I have a hard time thinking Wright fall to us; but watch it happen and we draft Haseley or something lol.
    If Wright is there at 5, I am about 98% confident we will take him.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    I have a hard time thinking Wright fall to us; but watch it happen and we draft Haseley or something lol.
    You just take that back! I will throw my head through the nearest wall. In reality, the A's are probably licking their chops because they know there's a very strong chance the Braves will do something stupid like that.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Sometimes when people fall, there are good reasons for it. If Kyle Wright starts 'falling' down the board and is available at #5, maybe the Braves should pause and think why he fell?

Pipeline has his best pitch as a 60 grade fastball, everything else is either 55 or 50 and his control is a 50.

Here's some info on Wright from Sickles written a couple days ago, I gotta admit, after reading that I'm not quite as high on him.

'total ceiling number 2 in my view, if everything maxes out. More likely a 3 or strong 4. But that's just my opinion, other people like him more ' Sickles

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/...rhp-vanderbilt

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Sometimes when people fall, there are good reasons for it. If Kyle Wright starts 'falling' down the board and is available at #5, maybe the Braves should pause and think why he fell?

Pipeline has his best pitch as a 60 grade fastball, everything else is either 55 or 50 and his control is a 50.

Here's some info on Wright from Sickles written a couple days ago, I gotta admit, after reading that I'm not quite as high on him.

'total ceiling number 2 in my view, if everything maxes out. More likely a 3 or strong 4. But that's just my opinion, other people like him more ' Sickles

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/...rhp-vanderbilt
    #5 doesn't really constitute a fall or slide. Everyone has the same top 5, but they're all in a different order. Some like Wright at 1, Sickels obviously disagrees somewhat. I am very confident the Braves will take him if he's there, and I would be ok with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    #5 doesn't really constitute a fall or slide. Everyone has the same top 5, but they're all in a different order. Some like Wright at 1, Sickels obviously disagrees somewhat. I am very confident the Braves will take him if he's there, and I would be ok with that.
    Its a slide when nobody seemed to think he was going to be around at #5 a week ago, heck most thought he was a lock top-3.

I'm really not saying he would be a bad pick, but he also doesn't scream 'slam-dunk' to me either.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Its a slide when nobody seemed to think he was going to be around at #5 a week ago, heck most thought he was a lock top-3.

I'm really not saying he would be a bad pick, but he also doesn't scream 'slam-dunk' to me either.
    All these mock drafts are based on what these guys think certain teams want to do. Callis' sudden switch of McKay back to 1 doesn't mean he's suddenly rising up boards. It just means he got a clearer picture of what he believes the Twins are going to do.

Kyle Wright has established himself as a clear top 5 selection according to everybody who does this. Literally all of them. So 'falling' to 5 doesn't mean that is suddenly wrong, it just means the other 4 that are with him in that group went first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    All these mock drafts are based on what these guys think certain teams want to do. Callis' sudden switch of McKay back to 1 doesn't mean he's suddenly rising up boards. It just means he got a clearer picture of what he believes the Twins are going to do.

Kyle Wright has established himself as a clear top 5 selection according to everybody who does this. Literally all of them. So 'falling' to 5 doesn't mean that is suddenly wrong, it just means the other 4 that are with him in that group went first.
    You can't just write it off if people start shifting a guy lower on their boards, that's coming from something, could be the result of a recent workout, interview -- something. Callis switching McKay to the top of his board MIGHT mean he's rising, you can't say it doesn't.

Wright being listed as a top-2 pick for most of this process and now possibly being available at #5, may or may not mean he's 'slipping' in your eyes, but you shouldn't just write it off if teams suddenly start giving off vibes about a guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I don't know, I read Wright's scouting reports, and I like him less than Gore/Lewis/Beck; I understand that probably puts me on a bit of an island here.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Wright grew up liking the braves and chipper. No doubt we pick him if he's there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Did you read the Baseball America mock today or the Pipeline mock from weeks ago that I linked? They are directly connecting the Braves to Tristian Beck. I tried a quick search for the Longenhagen quote but couldn't find it. But there are very clear instances to BA and Pipeline talking about the Braves interesting in him. This isn't something people on here are randomly generating.

Are you really suggesting you need a quote from someone inside the Braves organization before you believe it?

To be fair, the pipeline article gives no explanation as to why they mention Beck in context with the Braves.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 06-09-2017 at 06:12 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-10-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

It would not bother me a great deal. I'm not particularly high on Lewis and all of the other position players are far from slam dunks either. I don't think this draft has any slam dunks, actually.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Callis just responded to me on twitter and said there is a pretty decent chance the Braves get Wright at five based on his current info. Sorry don't know how to link tweets.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    You can't just write it off if people start shifting a guy lower on their boards, that's coming from something, could be the result of a recent workout, interview -- something. Callis switching McKay to the top of his board MIGHT mean he's rising, you can't say it doesn't.

Wright being listed as a top-2 pick for most of this process and now possibly being available at #5, may or may not mean he's 'slipping' in your eyes, but you shouldn't just write it off if teams suddenly start giving off vibes about a guy.
    Callis explained why he moved McKay up - because he recently has gotten word they seem to be settling on McKay. He didn't move him up his own personal board, he's picking who he thinks the Twins are going to take. Maybe they've always wanted McKay and that wasn't clear to those outside the org. until now.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Callis:

Pretty decent chance, based on information at this moment, @Braves could get Wright at No. 5 in @MLBDraft.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Callis:

Pretty decent chance, based on information at this moment, @Braves could get Wright at No. 5 in @MLBDraft.
    Nice. In a officer Harrison Yates voice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I like the high-floor with Wright, no injury concerns, big build, four pitches.

I do wish he had better control as college junior, that seems worrisome to me and none of the secondary pitches seem like killers.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    https://twitter.com/fpiliered1/statu...28187979309056 Another scout adds to the speculation sayin the Braves and Wright have an affinity for one another

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    https://twitter.com/fpiliered1/statu...28187979309056 Another scout adds to the speculation sayin the Braves and Wright have an affinity for one another
    No surprise. Braves are his favorite team.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I like the high-floor with Wright, no injury concerns, big build, four pitches.

I do wish he had better control as college junior, that seems worrisome to me and none of the secondary pitches seem like killers.
    His second half of the year has been pretty unreal. The walks were mostly early in the year I believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Gore has flown up draft boards. So if Wright falls I'd be ecstatic to snatch him up at 5. Gore, Wright, or Lewis I'm perfectly fine with either of those 3.