Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Apparently it's so players can't dictate where they'll be drafted by saying "If the Braves draft me, I won't sign and thus go to school unless you trade the pick."

Players still have that leverage to some degree (at least high school players), but MLB doesn't want a lot of trading due to signability concerns.
    I think it has more to do with the fact that every organization has an entire minor league system to fill. It's sort of a way to ensure a team doesn't trade all their picks and leave their low minors screwed.

Also, I don't think they want a team to be able to add so much in pool money they can just dictate all the top players they want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-28-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I think it has more to do with the fact that every organization has an entire minor league system to fill. It's sort of a way to ensure a team doesn't trade all their picks and leave their low minors screwed.

Also, I don't think they want a team to be able to add so much in pool money they can just dictate all the top players they want.
    I think the last point is the biggest. teams picking in the 20's are generally good.. They would easily trade that future lottery ticket for something of value today. so a rebuilding team could literally get 4 1st round picks and really manipulate the draft, even if 3 of those picks are 20+..

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts

The reason I described was the official reason Manfred gave during an interview I was listening to months ago

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    The reason I described was the official reason Manfred gave during an interview I was listening to months ago
    Well there you go then.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I still don't like it. Put trade rules in place to cut down on that, but let them trade.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Bukauskas impressive again (as usual) as Heels take down Tiggers in game one of a BIG series in the ACC...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...jCXvQO2JjJz.97
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    If that's their main reason, then it's dumb. Football players who say that aren't trying to force a trade...they're just telling that team not to pick them. If there are signability concerns, you just pick somebody else. Why would the signability concerns with a player, why would that make you trade your pick?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Anyone remember what Francoeur did in the draft?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    MLB.com's first mock: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/227685...icid=151437456

They both have McKay going first and Greene second with Wright/Royce Lewis going third and forth in different orders.

Both have Gore to Atlanta at 5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Lewis or Gore at 5 would be amazing to add to our system. Gore has been fast rising. 1 of these 2 should fall to 5..hopefully.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

They both have McKay going first and Greene second with Wright/Royce Lewis going third and forth in different orders.

While I think we all understand the point some like to make about Bukauskas' size, it's pretty interesting that Mayo pointed out the J. B. - Sonny Gray comp.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Also, Baseball America saw Gore throw over the weekend and wrote this report with video: http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...re-strikes-14/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (05-02-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

I would love that top 4. Getting either Beck or Gore would be great. As I've said, I personally prefer Beck due to the fact that he's a hitter and I believe his ceiling is astronomical, but I love Gore, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I would love that top 4. Getting either Beck or Gore would be great. As I've said, I personally prefer Beck due to the fact that he's a hitter and I believe his ceiling is astronomical, but I love Gore, too.
    It seems like that's kind of the consensus top four right now. I've seen BA and MLB have that, and Longenhagen said in his Fangraphs chat today that he'd have that as his top four and Gore fifth. I keep crossing my fingers for a way Lewis could fall to 5, but it doesn't look likely at all.

I'm preparing for Gore to be the pick, and I'm mostly fine with it. Still want some hitters, but he looks like a really good prospect.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    It seems like that's kind of the consensus top four right now. I've seen BA and MLB have that, and Longenhagen said in his Fangraphs chat today that he'd have that as his top four and Gore fifth. I keep crossing my fingers for a way Lewis could fall to 5, but it doesn't look likely at all.

I'm preparing for Gore to be the pick, and I'm mostly fine with it. Still want some hitters, but he looks like a really good prospect.
    And for me personally (obviously all won't agree), if that ends up as the top 4, then I'm not upset we're at 5 instead of 2...the only caveat to that would be that I might rather have Greene than Gore or Beck if he doesn't go #1. But my top 3 at this point are probably Greene, Beck, and Gore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    And for me personally (obviously all won't agree), if that ends up as the top 4, then I'm not upset we're at 5 instead of 2...the only caveat to that would be that I might rather have Greene than Gore or Beck if he doesn't go #1. But my top 3 at this point are probably Greene, Beck, and Gore.
    Yeah, I can't agree with that simply because of the draft pool money but I understand your point.

But if Greene goes 1, I don't think I'd want McKay if we were picking second. I'm just not really excited about him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Yeah, I can't agree with that simply because of the draft pool money but I understand your point.

But if Greene goes 1, I don't think I'd want McKay if we were picking second. I'm just not really excited about him.
    Yeah, the draft pool effects are still there, you're right. Was just talking about the talent we can grab with the top pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'm still holding out hope for a CB pick trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Baseball America's updated rankings: http://bba.am/F9bU5G

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Baseball America's updated rankings: http://bba.am/F9bU5G
    Vientos down to #38 - maybe he could start floating a crazy signing bonus demand and drop to our second round slot. Taking whichever of Gore/Beck/Bukauskas will sign for the least with the #5 pick and nabbing him without having to land a Competitive Balance pick would be awfully nice.