Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Gore, Beck, Adell... those are my favs in no particular order. With Gore's helium and 4 pitches and high velocity as a prep guy though... wouldn't be surprised if he actually ends up number 2. I actually wonder what would happen if McKay fell to us... would we take him? And would it be as a hitter or pitcher?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Gore, Beck, Adell... those are my favs in no particular order. With Gore's helium and 4 pitches and high velocity as a prep guy though... wouldn't be surprised if he actually ends up number 2. I actually wonder what would happen if McKay fell to us... would we take him? And would it be as a hitter or pitcher?
    McKay is starting to intrigue me. With his arm, I imagine he could transition to right field. Perhaps a rich man's Piscotty, who was a very good pitcher in college.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    As a thought experiment, take it to the extreme. Let's say Lewis was #1 on the Braves board and required full slot money, while Anderson was #10 on their board and only required $1 to sign. In that scenario, the 100% correct choice is to sign Anderson for $1.

The actual truth obviously lies somewhere between those extremes. There is nothing wrong with paying less for the #10 guy on your board so you have cash to sign Wentz and Muller. That is a perfectly acceptable course of action, and is likely what the Braves did.

It is also completely understandable that they then spun it like they got "the guy they wanted".

Yeah, no ****, but enough with acting like the Braves took the BPA at #3 with no regard to signing cost.
    Except numerous sources linked the Braves to Anderson before the draft, he signed for 700k more than Lewis, and several of the players people at baseball America rated higher went substantially later for less money,

I think we've conclusively established that Anderson wasn't the bpa according to you though.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Why on earth would the Braves ever say #1, even if they believe it?

It's likely they just said, we like you and here's what we'll offer. You can take it or take your chances elsewhere. There's no rule saying a team must be 100% transparent with everything they actually think.
    The Braves offered Anderson what they thought he was worth as far as a signing bonus goes. Simple as that. Take that however you want. Why is it so hard to believe the Braves are not telling the truth about Anderson being BPA? Why does it even matter if that's the case?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    McKay is starting to intrigue me. With his arm, I imagine he could transition to right field. Perhaps a rich man's Piscotty, who was a very good pitcher in college.
    Yeah... I'm not exactly excited about him as a pitcher (I know he's very good, don't get me wrong)... but I'm intrigued about him as a hitter I think. Still would rather have Beck. The one thing that worries me about Beck is that he's a little on the smaller side for a power hitter. Adell has the more prototypical look... That was why I was off of Ray last year. Completely different styles of players and experience levels though obviously. Beck should continue to grow a little.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The Braves offered Anderson what they thought he was worth as far as a signing bonus goes. Simple as that. Take that however you want. Why is it so hard to believe the Braves are not telling the truth about Anderson being BPA? Why does it even matter if that's the case?
    I think it's pretty self explanatory why fans want their team to actually draft the BPA.

Hint: the B and the P.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Wait did I take a right in Albuquerque? I thought this thread was about 2017 draft.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (05-11-2017), Tapate50 (05-11-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Keith Law's first mock goes McKay-Greene-Lewis-Wright-Gore.

His blurb about the Braves taking Gore: Gore might be this year’s Braxton Garrett, a lefty with an average fastball but command and feel beyond his years. He also has a tight curveball that looks like a potential out pitch.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    You believe teams pay draftees what they are worth? So you think the Braves would have paid Anderson more simply because they actually did believe he was BPA?

Teams pay players what it will take to sign them, period. Now, yes, that means the team believes a player is worth at least as much as they offer, but it is way more illogical and naive to think players are paid exactly what the team believes they are worth than to believe the Braves might have actually believed Anderson was BPA.

In regard to why it matters, it honestly doesn't. I'm not particularly concerned with whether the Braves believed Anderson was BPA or simply believed that the package of Anderson + who they could get later was worth passing on BPA at 3. They obviously liked Anderson a lot either way. But you have one side saying, 'It actually is possible the Braves thought Anderson was BPA,' and the other side saying, 'You moronic brain-dead blind homers!' So you might want to ask why it matters so much to those people.

I've simply stated what is clearly a possibility. When I am called a moron for stating that, then yes, I will defend myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Teams talk to agents and players before the draft to get an idea of what the player will sign for.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    What evidence do you have that the Braves did not consider Anderson to be the best pitcher available?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    What evidence do you have that the Braves did not consider Anderson to be the best pitcher available?
    You're not going to find direct evidence for or against this.

The indirect or circumstantial evidence would include the rankings and comments of outfits like Baseball America. His signing bonus is also a piece of circumstantial evidence since it indicates how far he might have dropped (which in turns reflects how other teams rated him).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    **** let that topic die fellas
    Ivermectin Man

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Agreed. We have Anderson, the Braves are happy with it. Let's talk THIS draft. I'd like Beck or Adell personally.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Because it's common sense? Take a slightly lessor player to get a better play later on. Hope the combination works out than taking BPA and a lessor player later. It happens all the time.
    Who besides Braves fans believe they took BPA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'm hoping for Lewis or Gore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Because it's common sense? Take a slightly lessor player to get a better play later on. Hope the combination works out than taking BPA and a lessor player later. It happens all the time.
    What about an analysis after the fact based on performance thus far?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    So none.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    There's a list of about five topics that get regurgitated over and over on this board.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    So none.
    What evidence do you have that they did? Because the Braves said he was?