Page 47 of 64 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I'm going to keep telling myself this is all a ploy to get Wright or Lewis to lower their prices at 5.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    And there's no guarantee that any guy we want at 41 will even be there.
    like last year

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Well, to me this is an extension of the problem created last year when the late win "surge" happened. Several of us at the time said it was extremely counter-productive and meant nothing as far as the 2017 season is concerned.

Now, here we are at the draft with less money and in a spot where, apparently, the FO has no clear BPA in mind as a no brainer pick.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Lewis looks more like Jeter than the Swanson comparisons.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Everyone really needs to chill for a second. Could all be smoke, could be a ploy for a bargain at 5. Really no telling...

I'd think the pick is Baz if our top options are gone, but I really think there is reason to believe he may be set on TCU?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    We don't have the money or picks to do stupid deals this year. Two teams have an additional two picks before we hit 41. Great chance our guy won't be there. This draft needs to be bpa, then bpa then maybe bpa after that. Maybe our 4th pick can be bpa. Anything else is triwling a loaed gun in a room with a gas leak next to the armory supply house.

This isnt the NFL draft. Who is BPA varies depending on who you ask. How exactly do you define BPA? Is it based on rankings of the "experts"? What if the Braves think a player ranked 30th by Baseball America is the BPA at their pick? Do you want them to go BPA according to their rankings or BPA according to mlb.com and baseball america?

I have said since I think this thread was started we will take someone not even ranked in the top 10 by the "experts" and it wont be to save money. The Braves have always marched to the beat of their own drum when it comes to how they rank the prospects in the draft.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    This isnt the NFL draft. Who is BPA varies depending on who you ask. How exactly do you define BPA? Is it based on rankings of the "experts"? What if the Braves think a player ranked 30th by Baseball America is the BPA at their pick? Do you want them to go BPA according to their rankings or BPA according to mlb.com and baseball america?

I have said since I think this thread was started we will take someone not even ranked in the top 10 by the "experts" and it wont be to save money. The Braves have always marched to the beat of their own drum when it comes to how they rank the prospects in the draft.
    There is truth to this....

I'll never forget, a guy on MLB network laughed when we drafted Povse. Like chuckled....saying that guy wasn't in his top 500 or something.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    BA has us taking Kyle wright, passing on Royce Lewis.

If the Rays take Vanderbilt’s Kyle Wright, Atlanta could go in a number of directions, from North Carolina prep outfielder Austin Beck to a signability deal such as California prep first baseman Nick Pratto. But if Wright is there, the Braves’ scouting department covets him at a similar level to their belief last year in Ian Anderson.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    BA has us taking Kyle wright, passing on Royce Lewis.

If the Rays take Vanderbilt’s Kyle Wright, Atlanta could go in a number of directions, from North Carolina prep outfielder Austin Beck to a signability deal such as California prep first baseman Nick Pratto. But if Wright is there, the Braves’ scouting department covets him at a similar level to their belief last year in Ian Anderson.

Pick: Kyle Wright, rhp, Vanderbilt |
    image: http://www.baseballamerica.com/wp-co...o_icon_red.png

bba_video_icon_red

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...gH9Hs7ZE4q4.99
    I tend to believe this. I can't believe we'd pass on Wright. It's interesting that directly below he has the A's taking Hiura saying that there has been a strong link between the two. Hiura smoke screen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    BA also has Bubba Thompson to Tampa at 4. That would be huge for us. If that happens, it would be crazy to pass on both Wright and Lewis.

They also have Hiura to Oakland at 6 and say they'd cut a deal there. Hopefully that's already in place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I mean really I don't mind taking any of the top 5, basically whichever one drops. Just work out positions and all later on...
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I mean really I don't mind taking any of the top 5, basically whichever one drops. Just work out positions and all later on...
    Agreed. Seems pretty simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Why do yo question Wentz? He's been fantastic.
    Not to hijack the thread but his lack of velocity worries me. He's young but he's big and strong. He's LH but fastballs in the 80s worry me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    BA also has Bubba Thompson to Tampa at 4. That would be huge for us. If that happens, it would be crazy to pass on both Wright and Lewis.

They also have Hiura to Oakland at 6 and say they'd cut a deal there. Hopefully that's already in place.
    Two thoughts here:

1) I would be pretty upset if we passed on Lewis if he fell. He seems like exactly the type of talent you try to land in the draft, particularly when we still need bats.

2) I wonder if FO's are higher on Hiura than the public if he's getting buzz at both 5 and 6.

Edit: not that I'd be content with Hiura. If you really must save some money at 5, at least go with a guy like Beck.
    Last edited by mqt; 06-12-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Two thoughts here:

1) I would be pretty upset if we passed on Lewis if he fell. He seems like exactly the type of talent you try to land in the draft, particularly when we still need bats.

2) I wonder if FO's are higher on Hiura than the public if he's getting buzz at both 5 and 6.
    I did read a lot earlier in the process that he was VERY well thought of from a hitting standpoint from FO's..Something like "the most ready and polished hitter in the draft was the quote I think. Not sure where though.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'm confused about all the under slot talk mostly because it's impossible to know who would be the pick at 41.

If we are going Pratto or Hiura because we want Tristian Beck at 41, that's worst case scenario. Hiura/Beck isn't an exciting combo.
    I don't quite get this either. Esp when it's "known." Keibom was our guy last year and he didn't get to us.

If you really want player X and you want to play games. Why not draft player X at 5 or 3 last year? Again I'm not complaining on Anderson, Anderson looks really good so far.

But making things up....Slot value is 5 million. You sign someone in middle first round int the top ten so that they agree to take 3 million when they'd expect 2.5 million if they were picked "where they were supposed to." You do this b/c you know somebody is going to fall.

If we love Beck. And if Beck is expected to be picked somewhere with a million dollar deal. Or he wants a 2 million dollar deal at 41. Why couldn't you just pick him at 5 for 2.2 million and have a ton of money to throw around the rest of the draft?

Again, it only makes sense if you really feel strongly about a guy that is ranked lower than everyone else and you can't trade down (b/c MLB won't let you).

I just don't get the feeling that people think that guys in the top 10 or top 5 this year are special talents outside of Green and maybe the Louisville kid. I thought I read a Kris Benson comp for the Wright kid last night...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but his lack of velocity worries me. He's young but he's big and strong. He's LH but fastballs in the 80s worry me.
    He is a big boy and he has flashed mid 90's heat before. He gets a really good downward angle on his pitches from his height so if he could get to 89-91 mph he could be fine with that. He is 6'5 210 pounds before turning 20. Safe to say there is the potential to add more velocity.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Was at his last start. He wasn't sitting in the 80's. He was 91-92....occasionally 93ish. There are days he may not be 90 but he was pretty good to me. He should add consistency. To your point he's big and strong.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    http://herosports.com/mlb-draft/base...anderbilt-c6c6

Not sure who this guy is, but not a great scouting report on Wright. Gives him
    fastball - 60 / 65
    slider - 45 / 55
    curve - 50 / 60
    changeup - 40 / 50
    Control - 40 / 50

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Can anyone see Klaws update?