Page 48 of 64 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Official Pre-Draft Thread

Really think this is an opportunity to really bring major talent to complete the rebuild and have a decade of new talent continually stock the majors. The strategy last year worked for what they wanted. This year should really be BPA. Maybe the Braves scouts don't have conversations with BA, Pipeline, etc...but I would imagine their board and cross checkers would be in consensus of the top talent. Wright, Lewis...if they get to us represent a great opportunity. Beck and Adell seem to be "swing for a star" types. I'd rather do that this year than deploy last year's strategy.
    Last edited by rico43; 06-12-2017 at 10:46 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I don't quite get this either. Esp when it's "known." Keibom was our guy last year and he didn't get to us.

If you really want player X and you want to play games. Why not draft player X at 5 or 3 last year? Again I'm not complaining on Anderson, Anderson looks really good so far.

But making things up....Slot value is 5 million. You sign someone in middle first round int the top ten so that they agree to take 3 million when they'd expect 2.5 million if they were picked "where they were supposed to." You do this b/c you know somebody is going to fall.

If we love Beck. And if Beck is expected to be picked somewhere with a million dollar deal. Or he wants a 2 million dollar deal at 41. Why couldn't you just pick him at 5 for 2.2 million and have a ton of money to throw around the rest of the draft?

Again, it only makes sense if you really feel strongly about a guy that is ranked lower than everyone else and you can't trade down (b/c MLB won't let you).

I just don't get the feeling that people think that guys in the top 10 or top 5 this year are special talents outside of Green and maybe the Louisville kid. I thought I read a Kris Benson comp for the Wright kid last night...

I think the Braves probably liked Anderson as a draft pick more than they liked Kieboom. Kieboom was just one of several guys that they perhaps had a first round grade on that they felt might slip to one of their later picks.

Likewise, the Braves probably see someone at 5 they like better than the injured Beck, but feel that getting someone who might have had a top 5 grade if not for injury is a good get at 41.

I think the misconception with the Braves moving money down the draft, particularly last year, is that the plan is to pick someone with a low ceiling at the top of the draft. I don't think that's what the Braves thought. I think the Braves loved Anderson. I think their plan was to pick whichever two guys with a first round grade they liked best who fell. I don't think they had specific plans for who that was, but I'm sure they had a list.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    one thing that I find funny is when people say 'Braves tendacies'.. This FO has had TWO drafts thus far. One we took a high risk guy for our first pick and the other we gamed the system a bit... Nothing shows a tendency to do anything.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Chico (06-12-2017), Preacher (06-12-2017)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    It seems a certainty that Greene nor McKay will get to 5. I feel like Wright is a real possibility now to make it to us, but there's others I'd prefer. My amateur eye wasn't impressed in the Super regional, but can't put too much stock in one start.

My order of preference:
    1. Gore
    2. Lewis
    3. Beck
    4. Wright

I am content but not satisfied if we go under slot and take Hiura. His bat seems like the real deal and could let us take someone at 41 that has fallen. I do not like the notion of going under slot for anyone other than Hiura. Again, this is not my preference though.

Baz seems to be set on attending TCU, so I'll pass on his contract demands if reports are accurate.

I do not want:
    1. Adele
    2. Pratto
    3. Lutz
    4. Bukauskus
    5. Kendall
    6. Pavin Smith
    7. Haseley

Despite my inclination based solely on reports, in our scouts I trust. No matter who our selection at 5 may be, we are going to come out of tonight's draft with a good prospect that we will all enjoy following.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    http://herosports.com/mlb-draft/base...anderbilt-c6c6

Not sure who this guy is, but not a great scouting report on Wright. Gives him
    fastball - 60 / 65
    slider - 45 / 55
    curve - 50 / 60
    changeup - 40 / 50
    Control - 40 / 50
    My other observation from my latest greatest way of wasting time (on the MLB draft) is that like other prospect rating services there really is no actual qualification for putting out prospect evaluations. Some of them are journalists who covered baseball for their high school newspaper. Some of them seem to be strange dudes with baseball hobbies who have learned to use scouting lingo. A few have some front office experience, but there aren't that many people who have worked successfully in that capacity that would choose to spend their time putting together lists for the relatively few numbers of people who are particularly interested in the coverage.

It tends to be a side hustle for those guys and you wonder how much work they put into the gig.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    1. Look where guys like Groome went, when many were saying he would be #1. There are many ways it could fall and I'm sure the Braves have a plan for every variable.

2. We have les money and picks this year, so I think it will be a different strategy. We should and probably will go BPA.

3. No matter who we deem the BPA is, you can be sure the Braves are not very high on at least two of the consensus top five. They have scouts that have watched these kids more times than we have probably mentioned their names. Each have flaws.

4. I didn't like the Anderson pick, but it is looking pretty decent now...still time to go either way. The year Trout was picked at what? 19? If we had the #5 pick and choose him there for a under slot deal...the board would have imploded. Scouts have more info and time spent on each of these guys than we can imagine. It's their life, it's all they do. They don't always get it right, but they have a way better chance than any of us do.

So, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy. Chances are I won't like (or maybe understand), why the do what they do...it'll be ok. It's all a crapshoot.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Can anyone see Klaws update?
    None of his top five picks have changed, but he did add this blurb to our section: "But I'm also hearing that Hiura is now in Atlanta's mix."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Law is saying Baz has a deal with a team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,735 Posts
    Didnt realize I still had a BA subscription. After scouting the scouting reports I favor going with Royce Lewis. I will take an underslot deal for Baz too. Not really too enthralled with much of whats to offer in this draft outside of those 2 and Hunter Greene for our first pick. Would be great to pair uber-ceiling talents Maitan and Lewis together in the low minors.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Are the Braves in the pool of teams that will get free agent compensation after the first round or are they in the pool that would get the compensation after all the other compensation rounds? I think after some research it may be the first group, but I'm not sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I hadn't really looked into Hiura enough, but even though I'd have to talk myself into him at 5, it wouldn't be the disaster I would initially consider it. Similar profile to Happ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I hadn't really looked into Hiura enough, but even though I'd have to talk myself into him at 5, it wouldn't be the disaster I would initially consider it. Similar profile to Happ.
    Unless I'm missing something, he hasn't thrown a baseball all spring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    My hope for the first two picks:

1) Lewis
    2) Who cares?

Or:

1) Beck
    2) Vientos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, he hasn't thrown a baseball all spring.
    I meant hitting profile primarily, his defensive upside is definitely a bit cloudy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Are the Braves in the pool of teams that will get free agent compensation after the first round or are they in the pool that would get the compensation after all the other compensation rounds? I think after some research it may be the first group, but I'm not sure.
    i have reason to believe that your research is correct
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    He can certainly hit, but the Tommy John thing is scary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Pipeline reporting its McKay or Lewis for the first pick, likely depending on what kind of deal Lewis would give them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    This isnt the NFL draft. Who is BPA varies depending on who you ask. How exactly do you define BPA? Is it based on rankings of the "experts"? What if the Braves think a player ranked 30th by Baseball America is the BPA at their pick? Do you want them to go BPA according to their rankings or BPA according to mlb.com and baseball america?

I have said since I think this thread was started we will take someone not even ranked in the top 10 by the "experts" and it wont be to save money. The Braves have always marched to the beat of their own drum when it comes to how they rank the prospects in the draft.
    LOL, the posi-Barves are already assembling to defend taking someone other than BPA at 5.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    He can certainly hit, but the Tommy John thing is scary.
    Seems like the big question here is whether he can handle second base.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I wouldn't be insanely upset with Hiura... but I wouldn't be thrilled. If he recovers from TJ okay, he should be okay defensively in the OF or 2B. Still if you're going underslot, go Beck with the huge upside. You have some room to gamble this draft.