Page 19 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    No, I would not like or spin that pick. I was just providing info.
    I'm sure if he were to focus on OF rather than pitching he would be much better defensively. He likely has the athleticism to to move around like an average OFer, and definitely the arm for RF since he was a pitcher.

I heard he has had a Braves jacket since he was 12, so he is clearly a fan and will be looking to play well for his favorite team. And having a Braves fan as a player will undoubtedly boost attendance at the new ballpark, as well as increase jersey sales dramatically.

Is that a pretty good start to the posi-spin?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I think the only posi-Braves spin needed is to look at Anderson and say we might just need to trust the our scouts know a bit more than the average fan does. That said, I would not be in favor of that pick, especially if we can't pry a comp pick (or two) away from someone. Saving money does no good if you only have the 9th highest bonus pool. The other teams will just outbid you on the guys that fall.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I think the only posi-Braves spin needed is to look at Anderson and say we might just need to trust the our scouts know a bit more than the average fan does. That said, I would not be in favor of that pick, especially if we can't pry a comp pick (or two) away from someone. Saving money does no good if you only have the 9th highest bonus pool. The other teams will just outbid you on the guys that fall.
    exactly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I would like to know how people calculate BPA in the baseball draft, seeing it's the most random of all the sports' drafts. You're dealing with an age range of 17 to 22 and that spells a lot of uncertainty in terms of physical development and a player's skill development arc. I'm actually hoping for Lewis. If they lowball and go Pratto, I hope they don't take someone with an injury risk like Beck at 41.
    It's mostly horse**** beyond the consensus guys. If it ain't obvious, pick your guy. Particularly since you can't trade the first round picks or even the prospects themselves for a time. There is no such thing as pick value then.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    man if we draft a 1B with the #5 pick, I would be upset.. I am fine with plucking a player no one has heard of, that your scouts see something in.. but you don't draft a first baseman.. you create those with hitters who can't find a position.
    I mean if you see a All Star bat and he happens to play 1B, you draft him unless you see an all star somewhere else.

This is another new name to me though.

Any event, maybe its not really sensible to get worked about what one mock draft has to say about the Braves trying to work the draft again. The folks I've seen look at the possibility seem to have concluded that Atlanta is not well positioned to pull that off this year.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 05-19-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Predictably, the Braves will draft a pitcher ranked well outside the Top 5.

Predictably, they will claim he was their BPA, comparing him to a fringe HOFer.

Predictably, the posi-Braves will assemble to tell us how great a selection it is, using "facts" from sources affiliated with the Braves.
    You forgot: predictably, the kid will outperform everyone else's expectations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    After all the bitching from the last two drafts you would think fans would realize...I guess not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Keith Law was on Olney's podcast this morning and went through an updated mock that's different than the one he published recently.

He has Royce Lewis to us at 5. He loves Lewis, raved about him as a player and said he'll likely move to CF.

The draft order went Wright-Greene-Gore-McKay-Lewis.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Man, now he has McKay falling to 4? I actually agree with that, since I think his value is more in that he can either pitch or hit and less in doing either of those at an elite level. But it's been McKay as a guaranteed top 2 for a while. Falling past even Gore would be pretty surprising.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Man, now he has McKay falling to 4? I actually agree with that, since I think his value is more in that he can either pitch or hit and less in doing either of those at an elite level. But it's been McKay as a guaranteed top 2 for a while. Falling past even Gore would be pretty surprising.
    Yeah, he made it sound like the big reason is McKay's velocity has been down in recent weeks and scouts are a little concerned by that. He also said there's more buzz about making him a two-way prospect to start things out, give him a few starts this year on the mound while letting him hit every day too. Then he suggested starting McKay every 5-6 days next year while getting him 300 at bats, and let his production tell you what to do with him moving forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Man Gore top 5 is an impressive rise. Good for him. I bet the Braves would like a shot at him, but I'd take Lewis all dang day.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    My question on Lewis is the bat. I've seen reports that suggest he has an above-average hit tool, but I've also seen some swing-and-miss questions, especially this spring. And while his power could play at SS or CF, is it enough to warrant taking him that high? It just seems to me like his ceiling is sort of a slightly better Ender, where he plays very good CF defense without the elite arm, runs a bit better, and has better (but not elite) bat.

But if I'm taking a bat at 5, given some of the guys in this draft, I want one with more potential offensively. Which is why I'm still saying Adell or Beck.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    My question on Lewis is the bat. I've seen reports that suggest he has an above-average hit tool, but I've also seen some swing-and-miss questions, especially this spring. And while his power could play at SS or CF, is it enough to warrant taking him that high? It just seems to me like his ceiling is sort of a slightly better Ender, where he plays very good CF defense without the elite arm, runs a bit better, and has better (but not elite) bat.

But if I'm taking a bat at 5, given some of the guys in this draft, I want one with more potential offensively. Which is why I'm still saying Adell or Beck.
    Agreed.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Man Gore top 5 is an impressive rise. Good for him. I bet the Braves would like a shot at him, but I'd take Lewis all dang day.
    I really like the write-ups I've seen on Gore, I think I want him or one of the two toolsy HS kids Adell/Beck. Leaning towards Beck.

I care so little about what position the Braves pick, I just want them to get it right --- pitcher/OF/3B/SS/HS/College..... don't care. Just get the player they believe in.
    Last edited by Preacher; 05-23-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Longenhagen was asked in his chat about the MLB mock that had us going Pratto/Beck while saving money at 5:

"They'd have to take a huge cut at 5 and I think the top tier of players is 5 deep so it's not something that looks like an obvious fit to me, but I haven't heard either way. Have heard them connected to Beck, though."

Longenhagen's top 50 draft prospects was also just published: http://www.fangraphs.com/scoutboard....type=0&pos=all
    Last edited by CJ9; 05-23-2017 at 11:30 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Enscheff (05-23-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Last year they went Brandon White and Brandon White back-to-back in rounds 12 and 13. What if they go back-to-back with Beck (Austin) and Beck (Tristan) in Rounds 1 and 2 this year? And would that be back-to-back or Beck-to-Beck?
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 05-23-2017 at 12:11 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Preacher (05-23-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Can I say ahead of time that if the Braves take Beck, I think they believe he's BPA? Does that count?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    I just don't want McKay. I'd be fine with pretty much anyone else that has been talked about at 5 -- Wright, Gore, Lewis, Austin Beck, Adell.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I just don't want McKay. I'd be fine with pretty much anyone else that has been talked about at 5 -- Wright, Gore, Lewis, Austin Beck, Adell.
    Agreed

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Adell/Beck vs Lewis is floor vs ceiling. If Adell/Beck busts, they are not MLB players. If Lewis busts he is still a bench piece.

So which do you take? The impact hitter that could never even see an MLB pitch, or the guy with less offensive upside but who is much more likely to actually be a big-leaguer?

Considering the Braves can find a cheap guy in every single offseason to fill the spot a busted Lewis would take, I say go for absolute maximum upside. The draft is the only way the Braves are going to be able to acquire a 900+ OPS monster for the middle of their lineup.