Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was the bet on Kemp?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    I don't care about the bet I just care to see the projection systems humiliated. ZIPS projected KEMP for 0 war on fangraphs lolololol.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    KEMvP = 0.5 bWAR

He's 0.5 in 12 games. With 139 games games left, KEMvP is on pace for 5.8 WAR
    Last edited by msstate7; 04-30-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I don't care about the bet I just care to see the projection systems humiliated. ZIPS projected KEMP for 0 war on fangraphs lolololol.
    Problem with people's use of the projection system is that they don't realive the variation for an individual player. When looking at the whole league it's not hard to look accurate since there will be lots of under and over performers. BUT to use it as the gospel on an individual player is foolish and speaks to the user's lack of understanding with statistics.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    KEMvP = 0.5 bWAR

He's 0.5 in 12 games. With 139 games games left, KEMvP is on pace for 5.8 WAR
    Not sure that is with last night in. fWaR live bumped up .4 from last night. Check tomorrow and you might be more impressed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that KeMVPs protection is allowing Freddie to swipe more bags too. How is that calculated?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    So how does Kemp and 30+ million for a Alex wood and Jose Peraza look as a trade?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So how does Kemp and 30+ million for a Alex wood and Jose Peraza look as a trade?
    You might learn something if you attempted to do the analysis. Let's see what you come up with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You might learn something if you attempted to do the analysis. Let's see what you come up with.
    The analysis you want me to perform is based on a foundational truth which I don't believe is accurate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The analysis you want me to perform is based on a foundational truth which I don't believe is accurate.
    Well, my invitation is for you to put forth your case. I didn't place any restrictions on how you do that. The whole board is waiting. Don't disappoint us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Well, my invitation is for you to put forth your case. I didn't place any restrictions on how you do that.
    There is no way to quantify the intangible impacts that Kemp has on the team such as lengthening the lineup, forcing pitchers to pitch to freeman in big spots and the assurance that we can get mutiple runs with one swing of the bat. What I see is a guy that will post a 900 OPS and hit 100HRs over the three years he's under control. Pitchers like Alex wood are far easier to replace then a legit middle of the order bat like Kemp. Therefore, in my very unscientific analysis I think it's a home run deal for the braves.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Let's keep Kemp healthy and productive this entire season before giving him any awards or extrahnad jobs

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    What I see is a guy that will post a 900 OPS and hit 100HRs over the three years he's under control.
    Matt Kemp hasn't OPS's 900 since 2012, and you think he is going to do it in his age 32, 33, and 34 season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Matt Kemp hasn't OPS's 900 since 2012, and you think he is going to do it in his age 32, 33, and 34 season?
    Don't you know who you're asking this question to?

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

auyushu (04-30-2017), cajunrevenge (04-30-2017), Garmel (04-30-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-30-2017), smootness (04-30-2017), Southcack77 (04-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    There is no way to quantify the intangible impacts that Kemp has on the team such as lengthening the lineup, forcing pitchers to pitch to freeman in big spots and the assurance that we can get mutiple runs with one swing of the bat. What I see is a guy that will post a 900 OPS and hit 100HRs over the three years he's under control. Pitchers like Alex wood are far easier to replace then a legit middle of the order bat like Kemp. Therefore, in my very unscientific analysis I think it's a home run deal for the braves.
    I appreciate the effort. I'm not going to respond. Because there is nothing to respond to. If you want to understand why I say that I'm going to cut and paste a little blurb in wikipidia that illustrates some of the issues involved with the kind of argument you are advancing:

In an article titled "Is There a God?" commissioned, but never published, by Illustrated magazine in 1952, the philosopher Bertrand Russell wrote:

Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.[2]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The presumption that something isn't real because we can't prove it is unfortunate. Everything was unproven at some point in our history. I get being skeptical but completely discounting is foolish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    I appreciate the effort. I'm not going to respond. .[2]
    Then responds with a page haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Then responds with a page haha
    come on...how often does a quote from Bertrand Russell find its way here...

But actually I have a little more to say. The way I see it people like me who advocate analytical tools are akin to those who try to construct a telescope to see whether there is a teapot or anything between Mars and Earth. We readily agree that our telescope is not perfect.

Those who reject analytical tools not only reject the telescope but seem to also reject building any other type of telescope or tool to advance their argument. To them the existence of the teapot is so apparent that there is no need to resort to any sort of tools of persuasion.

Anyhow that's my take on my little exchange with thethe on this matter. I had hoped (perhaps unrealistically) that he would advance some sort of argument other than bald assertion.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    In an article titled "Is There a God?" commissioned, but never published, by Illustrated magazine in 1952, the philosopher Bertrand Russell wrote:

Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.[2]
    This assumes orthodox people have an interest in proving it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The presumption that something isn't real because we can't prove it is unfortunate. Everything was unproven at some point in our history. I get being skeptical but completely discounting is foolish.
    It reminds me of a conversation I had with a former brother-in-law around a barbecue a few years ago. The topic was whether fiscal stimulus had saved or produced any jobs. My former brother-in-law made the pronouncement that he only believed in things he could see and that he couldn't see a single job produced by fiscal stimulus. Therefore fiscal stimulus must not work. I responded in a way that I now regret. I won't go into the details of my response.

But the way I wished I had responded was to note that standard economic analysis was just a tool for trying to measure something very difficult to measure. And left it at that. Those who prefer to simply believe what they want to believe can continue doing so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This assumes orthodox people have an interest in proving it.
    Yes. Exactly. Which maybe is why some of these discussions are a waste of time.

Although there is also a long history of believers attempting to construct logical proofs of their beliefs.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-30-2017 at 11:00 AM.