Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick look at the players we wish the Braves had acquired

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Quick look at the players we wish the Braves had acquired

Here is a list of guys I wanted the Braves to acquire instead of the steaming pile of garbage that ended up on the roster.

The Good:
    Greg Holland: 5 IP, 0 R, 8K, 2 BB
    Jason Castro: .353/.542/.588 (1.130 OPS)

The Meh:
    Austin Jackson: .273/.273/.364 (.636 OPS)
    Desmond Jennings: .222/.333/.333( .667 OPS) in AAA

The Bad:
    Drew Smyly: 60-day DL
    Luis Valbuena: DL for at least a few more weeks
    Rajai Davis: .167/.212/.300 (.512 OPS)
    Justin Ruggiano: .200/.273/.200 (.473 OPS) in AAA

The Interesting:
    Manny Margot: .343/.395/.686 (1.080 OPS)

The only pitching acquisition I approved of was Colon, and he has paired a great start with a dumpster fire start.

Why did I include Margot? Because I routinely use him as the evidence the Braves blew the Kimbrel trade. Rather than using him to unload BJ's contract, they could have had a player of Margot's caliber, who is producing at the MLB level at age 22.

So it looks like I did a terrible job identifying a capable RHed 4th OFer for the Braves, and my preference for Smyly over Dickey and Garcia is not looking too great (though neither of those guys is looking like a great idea either). When Smyly is healthy we will see if 2 years of Smyly was better than whatever the Braves patched together in his place plus Gohara.

I still think the Braves made a huge blunder by not spending $25M to acquire Castro to pair with Flowers. Holland was a no-brainer chance to take on a huge arm, but The Genius thought the BP was fine as is. If we had Valbuena to look forward to at 3B at least the position wouldn't the completely hopeless mess it is now.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-12-2017 at 01:09 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I'd have been all about taking a flier on Holland.
    Ivermectin Man

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-12-2017)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Here is a list of guys I wanted the Braves to acquire instead of the steaming pile of garbage that ended up on the roster.

The Good:

The Meh:

The Bad:

The Interesting:

The only pitching acquisition I approved of was Colon, and he has paired a great start with a dumpster fire start.

Why did I include Margot? Because I routinely use him as the evidence the Braves blew the Kimbrel trade. Rather than using him to unload BJ's contract, they could have had a player of Margot's caliber, who is producing at the MLB level at age 22.

So it looks like I did a terrible job identifying a capable RHed 4th OFer for the Braves, and my preference for Smyly over Dickey and Garcia is not looking too great (though neither of those guys is looking like a great idea either). When Smyly is healthy we will see if 2 years of Smyly was better than whatever the Braves patched together in his place plus Gohara.

I still think the Braves made a huge blunder by not spending $25M to acquire Castro to pair with Flowers. Holland was a no-brainer chance to take on a huge arm, but The Genius thought the BP was fine as is. If we had Valbuena to look forward to at 3B at least the position wouldn't the completely hopeless mess it is now.
    What are the chances Jason Castro has turned into a good hitter all of a sudden? It's 7 or 8 games into the season. He's a career .700 OPS guy which is where he probably about where his batting line will be at the end of the year. Same story with Margot..it's been 7 games.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachoo View Post
    What are the chances Jason Castro has turned into a good hitter all of a sudden? It's 7 or 8 games into the season. He's a career .700 OPS guy which is where he probably about where his batting line will be at the end of the year. Same story with Margot..it's been 7 games.
    Well the Braves suck, and there isn't anything worth talking about 7 games into the season. So I decided to look up how well the guys I wanted the Braves to acquire are doing.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Wish we would have done that Heyward for Judge trade a couple years ago.

Judge is going to be a superstar. He's hitting .320 with 3 HR, 7 RBI, and only 6 K.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

The Good:

The Meh:

The Bad:

The Interesting:

Why do you pretend to care who the Braves acquired?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Well the Braves suck, and there isn't anything worth talking about 7 games into the season. So I decided to look up how well the guys I wanted the Braves to acquire are doing.
    Are you sure you weren't just looking for things to support your conclusion. The whole positional question went to hell when Sean Rodriguez was hurt. Guy would have been a big crowd favorite and versatile.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Are you sure you weren't just looking for things to support your conclusion. The whole positional question went to hell when Sean Rodriguez was hurt. Guy would have been a big crowd favorite and versatile.
    Did you miss the part of my post where I showed how poorly many of the guys I wanted are playing?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Klaws new top 50 has our number 3 pick in it but not many of the players we board gms wanted instead

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Klaws new top 50 has our number 3 pick in it but not many of the players we board gms wanted instead
    And one of those guys is already hurt as well. Nothing Anderson has done so far should provide anything other than confirmation the braves believed he had big time upside. Potentially 3+ pitches with a great pitchers frame.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Should be noted that nothing has really changed in Law's rankings. He's just simply removed 7 players from his initial top top 100 that are now in the majors. Anderson was #52 overall in his rankings in January so it's no surprise he's now in the top 50 with recent graduates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    In short summation of this thread... none of these players other than Castro and Holland would have made any type of impact.

I believe Castro was passed because of the long term plans of the FO be it Lucroy or one believing in one of the minor league guys.

Holland, there really isn't much defense for unless they deemed the $ too much for the risk involved. Again, I can get that even if it doesn't mesh with what we have shown previously.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    In short summation of this thread... none of these players other than Castro and Holland would have made any type of impact.

I believe Castro was passed because of the long term plans of the FO be it Lucroy or one believing in one of the minor league guys.

Holland, there really isn't much defense for unless they deemed the $ too much for the risk involved. Again, I can get that even if it doesn't mesh with what we have shown previously.
    I think they passed on Castro because he can't hit and his price tag well exceeded the so called hidden value of his pitch framing.

It goes without saying that seven games isn't really significant at all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Wish we would have done that Heyward for Judge trade a couple years ago.

Judge is going to be a superstar. He's hitting .320 with 3 HR, 7 RBI, and only 6 K.
    I don't think he will be, just like I don't think Sanchez will be. I think both will be good solid players, and there's certainly plenty of value in that.

But Sanchez won't duplicate what he did last year, and Judge will come down to earth.

I don't know that I've ever seen this many overreactions, on either side, after one week of a season before.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I don't think he will be, just like I don't think Sanchez will be. I think both will be good solid players, and there's certainly plenty of value in that.

But Sanchez won't duplicate what he did last year, and Judge will come down to earth.

I don't know that I've ever seen this many overreactions, on either side, after one week of a season before.
    Braves fans are hungry for something to eat.. and anything we see looks like steak to us. that is why I am watching/listening to minor ball. it is a ton of games all day that I can just slowly digest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Castro is just 6-for-31 (.194) through his first 10 games with Minnesota, though he has drawn nine walks. The 29-year-old catcher signed a three-year, $24.5 million free agent contract over the offseason.

This Jason Castro?
    Ivermectin Man

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

thethe (04-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Castro is just 6-for-31 (.194) through his first 10 games with Minnesota, though he has drawn nine walks. The 29-year-old catcher signed a three-year, $24.5 million free agent contract over the offseason.

This Jason Castro?
    Well you know...the sabercommunity on this board, only a few actually, love their small samples when it fits their narrative.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Well you know...the sabercommunity on this board, only a few actually, love their small samples when it fits their narrative.
    What if Castro were motivated to play for an upward team like the Braves compared a rebuilding one like Kemp?

Wouldn't his numbers be better?
    Forever Fredi

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    What if Castro were motivated to play for an upward team like the Braves compared a rebuilding one like Kemp?

Only if he had KEMvP protection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

Was Castro ever an MVP candidate that had some down years in a lackluster scenario?