I would add Fried and Touki
    This.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I agree with nsacpi with regard to Soroka and Allard, but Gohara and Anderson wouldn't be in my top 4. Fried would certainly be in my top four, but I think everyone here knows that by now. I like Gohara's stuff a lot but until he adds another pitch I cannot rank him that high. I know folks around here love Newcomb, I don't see it with him. I see a big bust candidate or reliever rather than a starter. I also would argue the Wisler ship has sailed and those holding out hope for him are dreaming.

FWIW my big 4 are Soroka, Allard, Fried and Weigel. Also, Gohara would be my honorable mention just missing the cut. So saying he's not in my top 4 isn't to say I don't like him too.

Hopefully you are excluding Anderson because he is a year behind the others. But Anderson most deservingly belongs in there. He will be in AA next year just like the others mentioned. I would have
    #1 Soroka
    #2 Anderson
    #3 Allard
    #4 Fried
    #5 Newk/Gohara

Newk/Gohard would not be in my 'top 4' because they have to get command issues resolved. I also love Weigel, but I don't think he is top of rotation stuff yet. I also have not seen him pitch, so it is hard just stat scouting. These other guys I have seen and know how freaking good they are.

**edit... I forgot Touki.. he falls right in line with Newk/Gohard for me. He has the stuff to be unbelievable.. just has to get command down. I listened to his first game of this year and he was constantly getting behind 2-0.. When he didn't the hitters literally had no shot.. If he could learn to attack hitters and trust his stuff, he would be a top 20 talent..
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 04-16-2017 at 08:06 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Fried has to be on everyone's list. I think he'll be our top pitching prospect by year's end. Definitely number 2.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-16-2017), UNCBlue012 (04-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Hopefully you are excluding Anderson because he is a year behind the others. But Anderson most deservingly belongs in there. He will be in AA next year just like the others mentioned. I would have
    #1 Soroka
    #2 Anderson
    #3 Allard
    #4 Fried
    #5 Newk/Gohara

Newk/Gohard would not be in my 'top 4' because they have to get command issues resolved. I also love Weigel, but I don't think he is top of rotation stuff yet. I also have not seen him pitch, so it is hard just stat scouting. These other guys I have seen and know how freaking good they are.

**edit... I forgot Touki.. he falls right in line with Newk/Gohard for me. He has the stuff to be unbelievable.. just has to get command down. I listened to his first game of this year and he was constantly getting behind 2-0.. When he didn't the hitters literally had no shot.. If he could learn to attack hitters and trust his stuff, he would be a top 20 talent..
    I am not easily swayed by small sample sizes, my top four going into the season is still the same. I cannot help but laugh at how few agreed with me and nscapi being high on Soroka and after a few games in AA we are seeing folks opinions change. Just as we are seeing folks now ranking Anderson and others over Fried after Anderson's first two strong starts in A-ball. If early small samples mean that much we sure screwed up trading Povse as he's looked great and has yet to give up a run this year too. Further, I'm not the only one high on Fried and Weigel as the Braves brass love both of them. They love Fried as much as anyone and I'm sure Fried wouldn't be number 4 on their list. I'd guess their list would have Fried or Allard at the top based on what I have heard.

That said, I am not sure how someone can be critical of my Weigel ranking if they haven't even seen him pitch. Just saying.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    My big four: Allard, Fried, Gohara and Anderson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    BTW, when I gave my big four and named Fried third of the four I wasn't listing in number of ranking. The top three is hard to rank for me but I had Fried ranked at two after Allard coming in and Soroka third with Weigel 4th. I would put the top three as easy to pick and then harder at 4 with multiple candidates that I could see ranking 4th including Gohara who I gave honorable mention.

PS: I edited that post to set the order as not to confuse anyone.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 04-16-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I also haven't lost as much faith in Blair as it seems folks around here have. And I would certainly have higher hopes for him than Wisler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    If I were to order my top 4 it would be: Soroka, Allard, Anderson, Gohara.

I've argued in another thread that I didn't see Anderson as being a high ceiling pick given where we drafted him. Of that I am convinced. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he brings to the table. I also suspect that I don't give as much weight to ceiling as others around here. To me ceiling means an outcome at the first percentile and it should be weighed accordingly in rating prospects. To me the 50th percentile outcome for a prospect is more meaningful. Much more meaningful.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    'Big' Four

- Allard
    - Soroka
    - Fried
    - Newcomb

'Little' Four

- Anderson
    - Gohara
    - Toussaint
    - Sims

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I kinda like Sims too. He gets forgotten around here. The strikeout rate has been elite at both the AA and AAA levels. Walks need to come down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If I were to order my top 4 it would be: Soroka, Allard, Anderson, Gohara.

I've argued in another thread that I didn't see Anderson as being a high ceiling pick given where we drafted him. Of that I am convinced. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he brings to the table. I also suspect that I don't give as much weight to ceiling as others around here. To me ceiling means an outcome at the first percentile and it should be weighed accordingly in rating prospects. To me the 50th percentile outcome for a prospect is more meaningful. Much more meaningful.
    I'd say our main disagreement is where to rank Fried and while I have him number two it was very hard to choose between my top three and I can see changing it if Soroka keeps it up. Anderson could move up on my list too if he keeps it up, right now I have him after Gohara and before Touki.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I think Fried, Newcomb, Sims and Minter will be the core of a very good pen. And of course there is the possibility that one of the first three will overtake the guys I list as my Big 4 and make it as a starter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I kinda like Sims too. He gets forgotten around here. The strikeout rate has been elite at both the AA and AAA levels. Walks need to come down.
    I still like Sims too even though I don't rank him as high as I use to. There are a lot of top pitching prospects in our system.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    My Big 4:

Bubba Nelson
    Hiram Davies
    Jung-Keun Bong
    Trey Hodges

Big 4 Pen:
    Maccay McBride
    Blaine Boyer
    Anthony LeRew
    Chris Seelbach
    Forever Fredi

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-16-2017), Knucksie (04-18-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-16-2017), UNCBlue012 (04-17-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    My Big 4:

Bubba Nelson
    Hiram Davies
    Jung-Keun Bong
    Trey Hodges

Big 4 Pen:
    Maccay McBride
    Blaine Boyer
    Anthony LeRew
    Chris Seelbach
    Sweet memories. Looking back
    I can't remember how many were hyped on this board and how
    Many were ranked by prospect outlets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    My big four: Allard, Fried, Gohara and Anderson.
    Trade Newcomb for Gohara and this is my list.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    oh wow this board is sleeping on patrick weigel...
    i still think he has a shot to be the best of the bunch before it's all said and done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    oh wow this board is sleeping on patrick weigel...
    i still think he has a shot to be the best of the bunch before it's all said and done.
    I don't think anyone is sleeping on our system, it's just really deep. lol

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I am not easily swayed by small sample sizes, my top four going into the season is still the same. I cannot help but laugh at how few agreed with me and nscapi being high on Soroka and after a few games in AA we are seeing folks opinions change. Just as we are seeing folks now ranking Anderson and others over Fried after Anderson's first two strong starts in A-ball. If early small samples mean that much we sure screwed up trading Povse as he's looked great and has yet to give up a run this year too. Further, I'm not the only one high on Fried and Weigel as the Braves brass love both of them. They love Fried as much as anyone and I'm sure Fried wouldn't be number 4 on their list. I'd guess their list would have Fried or Allard at the top based on what I have heard.

That said, I am not sure how someone can be critical of my Weigel ranking if they haven't even seen him pitch. Just saying.
    you realize I wasn't critical of having Weigel in there. I said, I can't because I haven't seen him.. I love Weigel.. I just haven't seen him with my eyes yet... That is why I have Anderson in. I have seen his Fastball explode with cut.. I have seen his change up make Rutherford throw his bat at the first baseman.. I have seen his curve break a few guys knees.. His results are not what I like about him.. His results are a result of what I like about him..

and for the record, I liked Povse a ton. Still not a huge fan of that trade. I haven't seen him pitch either, but I did listen to one of his games and he throws strikes. That was probably my favorite thing about him. just attacks hitters and is super efficient.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-17-2017)