Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Big 4

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    In reality...there will also be a non big name that will surprise and be a solid #3-#4 also that we haven't really mentioned (like Mader who was actually a third round pick).

Guys like Newcomb (who didn't pitch as much up north), just develop slowly. I am guessing he will hit around 25, and he really isn't doing bad right now AT ALL. He could never come close to his potential and still be a solid #4-#5. I HATE the Simmons trade, but I still think he will be a good MLB pitcher in time.

Good gosh Gohara is still a baby and killing it. As are most of our young guys. Do you even realize how rare it is for someone like Anderson to do what he is doing, or Soroka?? Fried is older, and that is somewhat expected. Touki still has a few more years of development and is coming along. He is really on a normal path for a pitcher, but we expect him to keep a 1.50 ERA....that's not how it works in the minors.

If there is really anyone to me that looks to be a bust for his draft position...it's Wentz. His velocity and arm problems at his age do not give me a good feeling. At the same time, I feel is Wentz or Muller fail at pitching, they could be converted to position players. Some teams even wanted to draft Muller as a hitter. With both of these guys sizes....they should be able to pop 95 with little effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The incredible thing about our rebuild is that we have so many pitchers that our rotation AND bullpen could be super solid. I almost expect our bullpen to be good year in and year out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Give me guys that can throw strikes:

Allard
    Fried
    Soroka
    Anderson

In that order.

Guys like Gohara, Touki, Newcomb and Sims are lottery tickets, and it is even harder to plan long term around them than it is with the "sure thing" pitchers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Allard
    Fried
    Soroka
    Anderson

In that order.

Guys like Gohara, Touki, Newcomb and Sims are lottery tickets, and it is even harder to plan long term around them than it is with the "sure thing" pitchers.
    I think Gohara belongs in the first list. I agree with you that Touki and to some degree Newcomb are more in the lottery-ticket category (I don't think Sims projects as an MLB SP), but Gohara doesn't have the same control issues, at least not anymore. Based on last season, the AFL, and his first couple starts this year, it seems he's not in that category. He is harnessing his stuff well.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I think Gohara belongs in the first list. I agree with you that Touki and to some degree Newcomb are more in the lottery-ticket category (I don't think Sims projects as an MLB SP), but Gohara doesn't have the same control issues, at least not anymore. Based on last season, the AFL, and his first couple starts this year, it seems he's not in that category. He is harnessing his stuff well.
    I still need a longer track record for him. And maybe above A+ too, before I really start believing. I listened to his last start and he was wild.. I think by the end of the 3rd inning he had a 1:1 ball/strike ratio.. he was effective, but he wasn't TOR starter.. That said, for him to control himself and stay in that game through 5 without his best stuff is something more of a positive...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I still need a longer track record for him. And maybe above A+ too, before I really start believing. I listened to his last start and he was wild.. I think by the end of the 3rd inning he had a 1:1 ball/strike ratio.. he was effective, but he wasn't TOR starter.. That said, for him to control himself and stay in that game through 5 without his best stuff is something more of a positive...
    Yeah, but to some degree I think we're expecting too much too soon out of some of these pitching prospects. Gohara is 20 and just now pitching above low-A, it would be a surprise if he was just mowing down everybody he faced like he was ready for the majors.

I'm just saying that I don't see him as similar to Touki. Touki has electric stuff, everybody knows that, but everybody also knows he's had some serious command issues that he has to work out. That is the definition of a lottery ticket. Gohara hasn't had the same command issues, at least not for the last year-plus. That also doesn't mean he has pinpoint command every time out, either. He's a pitching prospect who, again, is 20. So it stands to reason he'll have times where he struggles with command, location, release point, etc. Fried still struggles with the same things from time to time, as does every pitching prospect ever. Even Kershaw had struggles like that initially.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Yeah, but to some degree I think we're expecting too much too soon out of some of these pitching prospects. Gohara is 20 and just now pitching above low-A, it would be a surprise if he was just mowing down everybody he faced like he was ready for the majors.

I'm just saying that I don't see him as similar to Touki. Touki has electric stuff, everybody knows that, but everybody also knows he's had some serious command issues that he has to work out. That is the definition of a lottery ticket. Gohara hasn't had the same command issues, at least not for the last year-plus. That also doesn't mean he has pinpoint command every time out, either. He's a pitching prospect who, again, is 20. So it stands to reason he'll have times where he struggles with command, location, release point, etc. Fried still struggles with the same things from time to time, as does every pitching prospect ever. Even Kershaw had struggles like that initially.
    I agree.. Man I wish Touki could harness his stuff. I have listened to 2 of his games in total, but both games when he got even strike 1 on the guy, he generally dominated that hitter. He gets killed because he is constantly in a 2-0 count.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Allard is 19, in AA, and doesn't have control issues.

Soroka is 19, in AA, and doesn't have control issues.

Anderson is 19, in his first full pro season, and has no history of control issues.

Maybe I am hyping Fried too much in my head compared to Gohara, but in no way is Gohara in the same tier as the elite young Braves pitchers.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The incredible thing about our rebuild is that we have so many pitchers that our rotation AND bullpen could be super solid. I almost expect our bullpen to be good year in and year out.
    i hope so. we should have a nasty pen

youd think we would be in a spot to do multiinning rps to given most guys will be former starters. Jackson, Simms, Weigal, Minter would be a decent start

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    In reality...there will also be a non big name that will surprise and be a solid #3-#4 also that we haven't really mentioned (like Mader who was actually a third round pick).

Guys like Newcomb (who didn't pitch as much up north), just develop slowly. I am guessing he will hit around 25, and he really isn't doing bad right now AT ALL. He could never come close to his potential and still be a solid #4-#5. I HATE the Simmons trade, but I still think he will be a good MLB pitcher in time.

Good gosh Gohara is still a baby and killing it. As are most of our young guys. Do you even realize how rare it is for someone like Anderson to do what he is doing, or Soroka?? Fried is older, and that is somewhat expected. Touki still has a few more years of development and is coming along. He is really on a normal path for a pitcher, but we expect him to keep a 1.50 ERA....that's not how it works in the minors.

If there is really anyone to me that looks to be a bust for his draft position...it's Wentz. His velocity and arm problems at his age do not give me a good feeling. At the same time, I feel is Wentz or Muller fail at pitching, they could be converted to position players. Some teams even wanted to draft Muller as a hitter. With both of these guys sizes....they should be able to pop 95 with little effort.
    Wentz probably just needs to get his surgery out of the way and then we will see.

I don't see a whole lot of chance most of these starters who don't pan out end up as relievers. More likely to be traded to teams that want to try a reclamation or released. Probably for not much in return if traded.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (04-17-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts

Allard
    Fried
    Soroka
    Anderson

In that order.

I'm not sure I'd put Gohara in that group in terms of control. He has 3.1 BB/9 in his minor league career on full season teams and Fried has a 4.2 BB/9 in those same situations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts

Anderson is 19, in his first full pro season, and has no history of control issues.

Maybe I am hyping Fried too much in my head compared to Gohara, but in no way is Gohara in the same tier as the elite young Braves pitchers.

Just about every starter throwing over 90 mph in the minors has atleast some control issues. Allard was bombing in Low A this time last year and I doubt it was because his stuff was bad.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

I'm just saying Gohara isn't in the same category as Touki or even Newcomb, though he's closer to Newcomb. Perhaps we need multiple tiers.

Elite, young, no strugges:
    Allard
    Soroka
    Anderson

Big-time prospects, have had struggles/issues/injuries, or aren't as young:
    Fried
    Gohara
    Newcomb
    Weigel

Lottery tickets, or too early to know much:
    Touki
    Wentz
    Muller
    Wilson

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Preacher (04-17-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    As a rule...the harder they throw...the less control they have.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Just about every starter throwing over 90 mph in the minors has atleast some control issues. Allard was bombing in Low A this time last year and I doubt it was because his stuff was bad.
    bombing? I think he had one start.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'm just saying Gohara isn't in the same category as Touki or even Newcomb, though he's closer to Newcomb. Perhaps we need multiple tiers.

Elite, young, no strugges:
    Allard
    Soroka
    Anderson

Big-time prospects, have had struggles/issues/injuries, or aren't as young:
    Fried
    Gohara
    Newcomb
    Weigel

Lottery tickets, or too early to know much:
    Touki
    Wentz
    Muller
    Wilson
    That's a pretty good summation.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

that was my thing about giving away povse. that dude never walks anybody. what a rare commodity.. oh well.

agree, by and large, i want guys who throw strikes.

but it sure is nice to have some time to develop some of the other guys. just a tick down on the walk meter and a number of the other hard throwers in the system could explode. (newcomb, weigel?)

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    don't the odds behind fried making it big stack way up against him given his injury history? i thought i saw some graph that basically said to forget about it.

he's never had tremendous numbers either so i dunno. the hype is there, but he feels about 200 miles away from where Soroka is right now in terms of big league potential. that dude is consistently dominant at every stop, is young, and has never has his elbow cut.

Soroka, Allard, and Anderson are the clear top 3 right now in my eyes.

I like Weigel's chances of joining that group as a big 4 before long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    oh wow this board is sleeping on patrick weigel...
    i still think he has a shot to be the best of the bunch before it's all said and done.
    I have him in my big 4, not sure anyone else here does besides you obviously. :)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    that was my thing about giving away povse. that dude never walks anybody. what a rare commodity.. oh well.
    This year, he's decided not to give up any runs, either. He'll be in Seattle by the all star break.