Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 4/16/17 Happy Bartolo Day - GDT

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    I thin runs will be a problem. When you objectively look at our lineup you will see 5 guys over performing and that would be 6 if you count Kemp. Jace has been about what you would expect in his place. And you have Dansby and Garica under performing. These do things happen throughout the season but I don't think we should expect the lineup to be as good as it has been throughout the entire season.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Way too early to judge offense but it is good to see us scoring runs while Kemp is on the bench. Jace has offered basically nothing (and I would argue worse than nothing as he has 12 LOB in 5 games) as his replacement, so when Kemp comes back, we should see a tick up from now.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    .... Jace has been about what you would expect in his place. ...
    Jace has absolutely sucked as a replacement for Kemp. In 5 games as a starter he has a total of 4 hits and 12 LOB. In his 1 PH opportunity he had 1 LOB.

He plays a decent LF but he is no Ender.

If you want to dig deeper...he had 1 good game where he went 2/4 with an RBI, but he still had 4 LOB that game.
    Last edited by bravesguy; 04-17-2017 at 09:21 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I thin runs will be a problem. When you objectively look at our lineup you will see 5 guys over performing and that would be 6 if you count Kemp. Jace has been about what you would expect in his place. And you have Dansby and Garica under performing. These do things happen throughout the season but I don't think we should expect the lineup to be as good as it has been throughout the entire season.
    Jace may be about what you expect from him, but he's nothing close to what you would expect from Kemp. Kemp killed it for 4 games, but just played in the 4 games, so you can't count LF as over-performing.

Flowers is over-performing. Phillips and Markakis are over-performing, but not by an insane amount. Inciarte is really not over-performing by much; HR up but BA and OBP down so far. And I wouldn't say Freeman is really over-performing at all. This is basically what he is now as a hitter.

Dansby and Garcia are both under-performing by a ton. So overall I really don't think our lineup over-performing. But we've also only scored 45 runs in 11 games, so I don't think that means we have a good offense.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    Jace has absolutely sucked as a replacement for Kemp. In 5 games as a starter he has a total of 4 hits and 12 LOB. In his 1 PH opportunity he had 1 LOB.

He plays a decent LF but he is no Ender.

If you want to dig deeper...he had 1 good game where he went 2/4 with an RBI, but he still had 4 LOB that game.
    Well yeah. Jace is not a good hitter. I was saying what Jace has done this year is about what you would expect Jace to do...which is suck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Jace may be about what you expect from him, but he's nothing close to what you would expect from Kemp. Kemp killed it for 4 games, but just played in the 4 games, so you can't count LF as over-performing.

Flowers is over-performing. Phillips and Markakis are over-performing, but not by an insane amount. Inciarte is really not over-performing by much; HR up but BA and OBP down so far. And I wouldn't say Freeman is really over-performing at all. This is basically what he is now as a hitter.

Dansby and Garcia are both under-performing by a ton. So overall I really don't think our lineup over-performing. But we've also only scored 45 runs in 11 games, so I don't think that means we have a good offense.
    As long as we not face the metz top 3 we will be good. The offense is going real well right now and will only get better with another big bat.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts

Markakis 147 OPS+, last 3 years 104
    Phillips 137 OPS+, last 3 years 94
    Ender 113 OPS+, last 2 years 99
    Freeman 195 OPS+ last 4 years 145

Even if you want to say that last year is the new Freeman(which I would tend to agree with) he still had a 157 OPS+.

All of these guys are over performing. I would say that Ender is the only one you could expect to sustain and that's if you feel he's starting to hit for more power (which 2 weeks in is still way to early to tell).

Braves team WRC+ is like 5th best in the NL. The offense to date has been good.
    Last edited by thewupk; 04-17-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Even if you want to say that last year is the new Freeman(which I would tend to agree with) he still had a 157 OPS+.

All of these guys are over performing. I would say that Ender is the only one you could expect to sustain and that's if you feel he's starting to hit for more power (which 2 weeks in is still way to early to tell).

The offense since August of last year has been good. When is a thing a thing?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

Isn't OPS+ for the Braves going to be at least a little flawed right now because of how little data we have on SunTrust?

And I think our wRC+ will come down. But while we're 5th there, we're 10 in the NL in RS/game. So in terms of pure runs scored, I don't really expect it to go down much, if at all.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    a year

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    when it fits a narrative.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Isn't OPS+ for the Braves going to be at least a little flawed right now because of how little data we have on SunTrust?

And I think our wRC+ will come down. But while we're 5th there, we're 10 in the NL in RS/game. So in terms of pure runs scored, I don't really expect it to go down much, if at all.
    It could be for sure. I do fully expect SunTrust to be a hitters park just like Fulton County Stadium was instead of the pitchers park that Turner Field was. If we are 10th in runs per game then yeah I think that's where we settle in at. The Braves will be a bottom 3rd of the league offense imo.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Do you expect the hitters that have started off hot this year to continue that way? I mean if you want to go full thethe then that's your prerogative but I try to take the homer glasses off when talking about what I think is going to happen and not what I want to happen. .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Yeah...three games against stud pitchers was enough to proclaim the offense bad.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Yeah...three games against stud pitchers was enough to proclaim the offense bad.
    Well only team WRC+ says the team is good on offense. Actual runs scored has the team as being poor. I think we have to go off of actual runs scored and not WRC+ which is just hypothetical.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    As long as we not face the metz top 3 we will be good. The offense is going real well right now and will only get better with another big bat.
    Alternatively you could say 'offense will be just fine if we keep playing San Deigo.'

I think its probably going to be a middle of the pack offense, probably a little above average if we can get a healthy season out of Phillips and Kemp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Well only team WRC+ says the team is good on offense. Actual runs scored has the team as being poor. I think we have to go off of actual runs scored and not WRC+ which is just hypothetical.
    I agree. Our runs scored are depressed because our second best run producer is hurt. That'll change soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Alternatively you could say 'offense will be just fine if we keep playing San Deigo.'

I think its probably going to be a middle of the pack offense, probably a little above average if we can get a healthy season out of Phillips and Kemp.
    I think above average is a good spot. Coupled with better starting pitching and that's a 500 team.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    I agree. Our runs scored are depressed because our second best run producer is hurt. That'll change soon.
    So you would say our offense to date has been below average and not good?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    So did you have cocaine? Stop leaving details out
    lol, no

unfortunately i couldn't help the young man out on his plan to do lines and watch baseball.

i should have sent him to Ron
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"