Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MINORS THREAD TUESDAY 4/18 ... Final results

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    I do enjoy how all trades that people don't like are "bad trades" but the one trade everyone agrees was a good trade is considered "a gift" from Stewart. I'm plenty critical of some of Coppy's moves... but you cannot berate him for bad trades and say his best trade was just "a gift"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Garmel (04-18-2017), mfree80 (04-18-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I do enjoy how all trades that people don't like are "bad trades" but the one trade everyone agrees was a good trade is considered "a gift" from Stewart. I'm plenty critical of some of Coppy's moves... but you cannot berate him for bad trades and say his best trade was just "a gift"
    It was a brilliant trade by Coppy but that trade doesn't get made without an idiot at the other end.

The trade was universally praised as a lobslided slaughter from the baseball community.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Its all an agenda. It has been since Wren was fired.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Its all an agenda. It has been since Wren was fired.
    It's an agenda to acknowledge that Coppy's biggest trades have turned out to be turds?

I mean.. one of them was so good that it basically balanced the scales, but imagine what could have been

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Predictable thread is predictable.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (04-18-2017), Tapate50 (04-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It was a brilliant trade by Coppy but that trade doesn't get made without an idiot at the other end.

The trade was universally praised as a lobslided slaughter from the baseball community.
    The problem is you put all the blame on Coppy for every bad trade, but for some weird reason you have the hardest time in the world giving him credit for the good moves. You give him credit, but you always qualify it with a "but." Its just weird man. I think he's made plenty of mistakes, but I also know Stewart didn't just call him up and say "hey Coppy, give me a crappy pitcher and I'll give you a major leaguer and my two best prospects."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    It's an agenda to acknowledge that Coppy's biggest trades have turned out to be turds?

I mean.. one of them was so good that it basically balanced the scales, but imagine what could have been
    You are judging trades for kids 2 years later as duds? Really?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    The problem is you put all the blame on Coppy for every bad trade, but for some weird reason you have the hardest time in the world giving him credit for the good moves. You give him credit, but you always qualify it with a "but." Its just weird man. I think he's made plenty of mistakes, but I also know Stewart didn't just call him up and say "hey Coppy, give me a crappy pitcher and I'll give you a major leaguer and my two best prospects."
    You can spin it however you want... but if 100% of the baseball community says it was a stupid trade, then I think that lends more credence to Stewart than Coppy.

Regardless, it was trade that was made and good for him for making it... without it, we'd be screwed

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    You are judging trades for kids 2 years later as duds? Really?

Yeah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts

Way too early to judge the Justin Upton trade... Kimbrel is a hard one to judge because no one foresaw that closers were going to fetch the caliber of prospects that they have in the past year+... Plus getting rid of BJ was necessary even if I don't agree with how it was done.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Plus getting rid of BJ was necessary even if I don't agree with how it was done.
    Why? There is absolutely zero reason to call the Upton trade necessary. We weren't going to compete anytime close to soon at the time, and we spent almost as much money signing Nick. Could have just kept Upton and not signed Nick and been far better off for the near future on multiple levels.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-18-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Why? There is absolutely zero reason to call the Upton trade necessary. We weren't going to compete anytime close to soon at the time, and we spent almost as much money signing Nick. Could have just kept Upton and not signed Nick and been far better off for the near future on multiple levels.
    Are we talking about the same Melvin Upton, Jr.? I agree that packaging Upton with Kimbrel hurt the return in the deal, but Melvin had played it out in Atlanta. For the record, I didn't think the Markakis deal was wise, but about all Melvin would have done would have assured us the #1 pick.

Anyone have a scouting report on Devan Watts? He's closing for the Fire Frogs and has some pretty good K numbers.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 04-18-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    If Coppy strikes out on both the HO trade and Simmons trade those are two trades you cannot completely strike out on and we probably will IMO. So it's true to say Coppy is living off that Arizona trade as if not for it, oh my.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Allard with another good outing... I didn't get to listen to any games tonight.. damnit.. But his line looks good. 6 innings and only 71 pitches.

TD still not striking out. If he can have a .260ish average with 20% K rate in AA, then I think he had a very good season. That is a hard hitters league..

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Allard with another good outing... I didn't get to listen to any games tonight.. damnit.. But his line looks good. 6 innings and only 71 pitches.

TD still not striking out. If he can have a .260ish average with 20% K rate in AA, then I think he had a very good season. That is a hard hitters league..
    I actually watched the first three innings of Allard's start, and it was kind of weird. Mostly fastball and changeup from what I saw. Didn't see much of the curveball at all. Very strange, but might explain his one strikeout in the six innings.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (04-18-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Are we talking about the same Melvin Upton, Jr.? I agree that packaging Upton with Kimbrel hurt the return in the deal, but Melvin had played it out in Atlanta. For the record, I didn't think the Markakis deal was wise, but about all Melvin would have done would have assured us the #1 pick.
    Well, that's exactly what I was talking about on the multiple levels thing. We would have most likely had the #2 pick last year and this year if we hadn't signed Nick and kept Upton. We also would have gotten a better deal from the Pads for Kimbrel. Win Win.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-18-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Well, that's exactly what I was talking about on the multiple levels thing. We would have most likely had the #2 pick last year and this year if we hadn't signed Nick and kept Upton. We also would have gotten a better deal from the Pads for Kimbrel. Win Win.
    But the funny thing is, Melvin Upton, Jr., is on a minor-league contract with the Giants. Has pretty much lost all of his ability. The team could have kept him and still signed Markakis, but I don't think I'm alone in being pleased when that jackass was traded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    But the funny thing is, Melvin Upton, Jr., is on a minor-league contract with the Giants. Has pretty much lost all of his ability. The team could have kept him and still signed Markakis, but I don't think I'm alone in being pleased when that jackass was traded.
    Melvin is bad but surprisingly he did hit 20 homers last year, steal 27 bases and had a 10 DRS in the OF. That is not bad 4th OFer material, sure beats what Boni brings us (esp. since Snit thinks his strong side is left handed which is his weakest side by a lot).

That said, Lane Adams went 2-4 with 1 RBI tonight playing CFer for G-Braves. I'd like Boni DFA'd for Adams asap.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 04-18-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

WEDNESDAY MINORS THREAD: GAMES OF 4/19/17: Anderson in the AM

WEDNESDAY SCHEDULE

CLASS AAA

Rochester @ Gwinnett (7-5), 7:05

SP: Wisler (0-1)

CLASS AA

Mobile @ Mississippi (7-5), 11:35 a.m.

SP: Withrow (1-0)

ADVANCED CLASS A

Florida (6-7) @ Fort Myers, 6:35

SP: Sanchez (0-1)

CLASS A

Columbia @ Rome (9-4), 10:30 a.m.

SP: Anderson (1-0).

All Times Eastern
    Last edited by rico43; 04-19-2017 at 01:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    I didn't call the trade necessary. I said getting rid of him was necessary and that I didn't agree how it was done. Reread the post maybe?