Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Minors 4/19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Just like Andruw, Heyward, Furcal, etc were. All often criticized for being rushed because they didn't meet offensive expectations.
    Furcal was 22/23 but your point is taken. There are also examples of 20 years Olds who do quite well. It's just not something I'm willing to say he has to stay down. If he is destroying AAA then June is the start of the discussion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The rational:

- Get his feet wet and ready for 2017 (failed)
    - Increase attendance for 2017 (failed)
    - Provide a spark to get our us a worse draft spot (success)
    Funny that you think the first two are set in stone. Just shows your clear bias.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Furcal was 22/23 but your point is taken. There are also examples of 20 years Olds who do quite well. It's just not something I'm willing to say he has to stay down. If he is destroying AAA then June is the start of the discussion.
    But he's not destroying it. And I don't see him as being some kind of offensive force either to do that either.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Funny that you think the first two are set in stone. Just shows your clear bias.
    My suggestions was to call him up April 14th.

Had we done that, he'd have debuted on the opening of the new stadium, we'd be no worse record-wise right now, we may even have better attendance due to the excitement of his hair, we'd have an extra year of control, and we may be picking 2nd instead of 5th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    But he's not destroying it. And I don't see him as being some kind of offensive force either to do that either.
    Forgot who produced the article but from a statistical perspective Albies has done things in the minors at an age/level that only Trout has done. Albies has shredded the minor leagues. He's special.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    I get it. Albies is our #1 prospect and at AAA. Our MLB team is trash. You want the shiny new toy. But other then to satisfy our need to see him I don't see anything positive about rushing this kid. If this team was contending (like with Heyward, Andruw, etc) that would be a different story. But we aren't close to that timeframe yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I get it. Albies is our #1 prospect and at AAA. Our MLB team is trash. You want the shiny new toy. But other then to satisfy our need to see him I don't see anything positive about rushing this kid. If this team was contending (like with Heyward, Andruw, etc) that would be a different story. But we aren't close to that timeframe yet.
    The contending point is a valid argument. I just don't think we should set these kids time frames based on the success of the major league club. They either are major league ready or not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I was excited to see Swanson, but it was a mistake to call him up. I can admit that. I don't even see how its an argument at this point.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (04-19-2017), sturg33 (04-19-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Forgot who produced the article but from a statistical perspective Albies has done things in the minors at an age/level that only Trout has done. Albies has shredded the minor leagues. He's special.
    Like post a 6% walk rate with an ISO barely over 100? There may be some statistical oddity that both have done due to their age but let's not get carried away here.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    The contending point is a valid argument. I just don't think we should set these kids time frames based on the success of the major league club. They either are major league ready or not
    And I think Albies would benefit greatly from a full year at AAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    so was Swanson major league ready

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    there is no point in bringing him up while Phillips is on the team and performing.

I'm curious how the "disappointing" offense of A. Jones, R. Furcal, and J. Heyward is attributing to their being "rushed".

Jones hit 400 HRs, Furcal was a quality offensive player for a lengthy career, and Hayward certainly didn't begin his career struggling to hit. I'm thinking whatever flaws they had in their offensive game weren't going to be ironed out in another 400 minor league at bats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    so was Swanson major league ready
    The way he's looked at the plate so far this year it certainly doesn't seem like it. Still a small samole though.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    there is no point in bringing him up while Phillips is on the team and performing.

I'm curious how the "disappointing" offense of A. Jones, R. Furcal, and J. Heyward is attributing to their being "rushed".

Jones hit 400 HRs, Furcal was a quality offensive player for a lengthy career, and Hayward certainly didn't begin his career struggling to hit. I'm thinking whatever flaws they had in their offensive game weren't going to be ironed out in another 400 minor league at bats.
    I tend to agree with your line of thinking. But it's often been brought up that some of their offensive development didn't go as planned due to being rushed. Whether that is true I don't know. I'm not in the business of developing hitters.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,322 Posts
    MVP!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    One interesting statistic I saw on twitter is that Dansby lead all MLB with 14 lineouts, so while he's been pressing and struggling... he's also had some luck issues. The more impressive thing is that Freeman is second on the club with 10 lineouts... can you say switched on?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I tend to agree with your line of thinking. But it's often been brought up that some of their offensive development didn't go as planned due to being rushed. Whether that is true I don't know. I'm not in the business of developing hitters.
    Thought by whom and with what evidence to support it?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Thought by whom and with what evidence to support it?
    Is there any evidence to not support it though? Players do get rushed without fully developing their ability as hitters. Generally these are players with insane raw talents that get by on that alone for awhile.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Max Fried moves into Pipeline's top 100 with Aaron Judge losing prospect status.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Acuna ends the night 0-5 with 4 Ks after coming in with strikeoutsin 33% of his at bats. Woof.