Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Minors 4/19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Acuna ends the night 0-5 with 4 Ks after coming in with strikeoutsin 33% of his at bats. Woof.
    The genius ruined him too.

Meanwhile Riley was 4-5
    Last edited by msstate7; 04-19-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Lane Adams second hit, a two RBI single in the 9th walks off G-Braves 7-6. He had 3 RBI's total and also stole a base in the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Lane Adams second hit, a two RBI single in the 9th walks off G-Braves 7-6. He had 3 RBI's total and also stole a base in the game.
    I got a trade...

Gwinnett gets boni, recker, and krol
    Atlanta gets kemp, Adams, and motte

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Some of you have warped ideas on how development works. These kids aren't robots. Leaving them down in the minors too long can have a negative effect too. You don't learn to hit Syndergaard by facing AAA pitching. If anything being in the majors speeds up their development. Unless the time in the majors shatters their confidence it's not hurting them. Prospects in the high minors know they are close. Sometimes they try too hard to hit well enough to get a call up and struggle. Then never regain their original form.

The minor league's don't work like video games where prospects just continually progress because they are in the minors.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Some of you have warped ideas on how development works. These kids aren't robots. Leaving them down in the minors too long can have a negative effect too. You don't learn to hit Syndergaard by facing AAA pitching. If anything being in the majors speeds up their development. Unless the time in the majors shatters their confidence it's not hurting them. Prospects in the high minors know they are close. Sometimes they try too hard to hit well enough to get a call up and struggle. Then never regain their original form.

The minor league's don't work like video games where prospects just continually progress because they are in the minors.
    And with almost the majority of players - They are either going to be good hitters or not once they reach a certain stage. No amount of minor league seasoning will help them.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    We need to trade for whoever was on the mound for Ft Myers. K machine
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

How much time did Freddie Freeman and Chipper Jones spend in AAA? Did it hurt their psyches? Did they become discouraged? Are they robots? Enquiring minds want to know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    And with almost the majority of players - They are either going to be good hitters or not once they reach a certain stage. No amount of minor league seasoning will help them.

I agree that the players will develop about the same in AAA or the majors. So the question for me becomes...do you want them using up those valuable years of contractual control with "learning years" in the majors? I don't think so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I agree that the players will develop about the same in AAA or the majors. So the question for me becomes...do you want them using up those valuable years of contractual control with "learning years" in the majors? I don't think so.
    That depends on if we are able to sign them to a quicker and more friendly extension based on us being 'good' to them. That's impossible to evaluate of course but not something that should be overlooked. I believe the plan to lock these kids up as soon as possible.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    How much time did Freddie Freeman and Chipper Jones spend in AAA? Did it hurt their psyches? Did they become discouraged? Are they robots? Enquiring minds want to know.
    Good question.

Chipper spent one year, 536 PA.

Freddie spent one year 461 AB

Albies currently has 280 AB.

I think Ensceff thinks we should leave Albies down till he becomes a power hitter, but he's likely to exceed the at bats Chipper and Freeman around the deadline or perhaps earlier.

But, I would have left Swanson down last season (probably would have brought up Camargo first, honestly, if I had to bring someone up) and don't see any reason to bring Albies up until the roster spot opens naturally.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

I think the point is that you can't learn how to hit major league pitching in AAA any more than you can in AA.

Being a major league hitter is constantly learning and adapting or so I've heard them say.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts

But you can learn how to hit a slider.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    How much time did Mike Trout spend in AAA? Altuve? Harper? Cabrera?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    How much time did Mike Trout spend in AAA? Altuve? Harper? Cabrera?
    So we want to compare Albies to 3 of the best hitting prospects in the past 20 years? Altuve is an interesting case and someone I would peg as an abnormality in the baseball world.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    So we want to compare Albies to 3 of the best hitting prospects in the past 20 years? Altuve is an interesting case and someone I would peg as an abnormality in the baseball world.
    I'm just saying, skipping AAA nearly or entirely didn't slow down the development of any of them. And Altuve may be an abnormality, but he's probably the closest approximation of Albies' skill set overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think the point is that you can't learn how to hit major league pitching in AAA any more than you can in AA.

Being a major league hitter is constantly learning and adapting or so I've heard them say.
    I think learning takes place at all levels....to me the question is how much of it you want to take place in AAA and how much in the majors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I'm just saying, skipping AAA nearly or entirely didn't slow down the development of any of them. And Altuve may be an abnormality, but he's probably the closest approximation of Albies' skill set overall.
    I think skipping AAA was not good for some of our hitters...Francouer, Simmons, Andruw

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    It didn't. Those are also generational hitters like Arod and Griffey before them. I think the Altuve comp gets thrown around because they play the same position and have speed. Altuve has more power and Albies will play better defense (hopefully). How it all shakes out we will have to see.

I honestly only like rushing prospects that are undeniably phenomenal hitters. Or if there is an absolute position of need on a contending team. Otherwise it's wiser to just wait for multiple reasons.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think skipping AAA was not good for some of our hitters...Francouer, Simmons, Andruw
    We just won't ever know that. It's easy to point to those that skipped AAA and didn't fully realize their potential and say, 'That's because they skipped AAA.' It would be the same thing as taking a guy like Brian McCann, who had success and skipped AAA, and saying, 'That's because he skipped AAA.'

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It didn't. Those are also generational hitters like Arod and Griffey before them. I think the Altuve comp gets thrown around because they play the same position and have speed. Altuve has more power and Albies will play better defense (hopefully). How it all shakes out we will have to see.

I honestly only like rushing prospects that are undeniably phenomenal hitters. Or if there is an absolute position of need on a contending team. Otherwise it's wiser to just wait for multiple reasons.
    But we also groan about having Heyward mostly skip AAA, and he was an undeniably phenomenal hitter. If anything, those are the guys that fans will want to be even more protective of.