Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing Between McCann and Justin Upton (and maybe others)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Choosing Between McCann and Justin Upton (and maybe others)

There is a chance the Braves will have enough budget to extend all of McCann, Justin Upton, Heyward and Freddie Freeman.

But I think it is a close call. So I want us to assume in this thread that signing McCann to a new contract means we eventually have to let one of the above walk. I think Justin Upton is the most likely one that would leave in this scenario.

So which would you rather have:

1) McCann is brought back (let's say a four year deal with an option for $16M per year). Gattis is a supersub in 2014-2015 and the left fielder thereafter.

or

2) Gattis becomes our catcher. Upton is extended and continues to be our left fielder.

There are a lot of things to consider. Under scenario 2, we have a bit more financial flexibility in 2014-2015 to upgrade elsewhere. But we should also consider that there is no guarantee that all three of Upton, Heyward and Freeman can be extended on terms that are reasonable to the club. That surely has to be taken into account if McCann is amenable to a deal the club considers reasonable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Have to let McCann go unless the NL is going to adopt the DH in a year or so, which isn't going to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    At what point do we look at Justin and wonder when we're going to get the production he was advertised to bring? I know he's only 26, but just like big brother BJ, we're still waiting on his potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    At what point do we look at Justin and wonder when we're going to get the production he was advertised to bring? I know he's only 26, but just like big brother BJ, we're still waiting on his potential.
    He is having a fine season. One of our better offensive players. He has had about two seasons better than this one. Not sure where this is coming from.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    My extension pecking order is

1. Jason
    2. Freddie
    3. Justin
    4. Mac
    5. Simmons

Simmons is last because he's cheap for much longer.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

bravebonebook (09-16-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Justin is nothing like his brother. Justin has routinely put up OPS' of 800+ and this is the first season he has been streaky at the plate. If you look at his numbers from years previous he's been pretty consistent every month. If this is J-UP's down year then I'll take it and he's shown that he knows how to hit and can make adjustments. Something his brother hasn't shown one bit. I would take Justin over Mac because of mac's age at his position and FF shouldn't go anywhere. If there is one guy this offense needs it's a consistent player like FF.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I keep remembering Tom Harte,s interview with the original Bossman during opening week when he expounded on how competitive his sons were growing up. I wonder if maybe the older one perhaps hasnt completely grown up and cant stand for his baby brother to out shine him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I keep remembering Tom Harte,s interview with the original Bossman during opening week when he expounded on how competitive his sons were growing up. I wonder if maybe the older one perhaps hasnt completely grown up and cant stand for his baby brother to out shine him.
    Being competitive doesn't usually work that way. Can't help but feel like people wouldn't question BJ in such a manner (or display such a lack of patience) if not for a few defining features. Not necessarily you, PPMax, but just in general.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I think that's just way too simplistic of a view and very unlikely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Being competitive doesn't usually work that way. Can't help but feel like people wouldn't question BJ in such a manner (or display such a lack of patience) if not for a few defining features. Not necessarily you, PPMax, but just in general.
    As I recall, PApa Upton was talking as to their competing with each other, not on the field. Different ages different leagues. And FWIW, Ive always felt and posted such many times that I think BJ will earn his money at some time.

I dont recall but was his spring training poor as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    As I recall, PApa Upton was talking as to their competing with each other, not on the field. Different ages different leagues. And FWIW, Ive always felt and posted such many times that I think BJ will earn his money at some time.

I dont recall but was his spring training poor as well.
    I meant competing with each other. Most often that raises the level of all involved.

He had a good spring training. Started off bad (regular season) and was benched after nine games and was shifted around the lineup throughout. Fredi has treated him weird right from the start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    I don't even know how to properly respond to this. It's that silly.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-17-2013), Dalyn (09-14-2013), JohnAdcox (09-16-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    How about this trade Both Uptons and Uggla to Rangers for Rios/Kinsler/Nathan. Rios and Kinsler are more productive than BJ and Uggla but are still overpaid by a lot. The Rangers desperately need outfield help, maybe they gamble that a return to the AL helps BJ. He's worth a little just to give Justin incentive to re-sign. All 3 could be helped by a better hitters park. In the first year the salaries are virtually a wash with the Rangers adding taking on 3 million more. The second year is where the Braves get a lot of salary relief. Beyond that its Kinsler's bad contract for BJ's bad contract. For taking on salary the Rangers give up little or nothing in the way of prospects. Braves re-sign McCann, Gattis starts in LF full time, Rios holds down center for 1 year, Nathan sets up for Kimbrel, and Kinsler starts at second. I know 9 million is a lot for a setup man but its a compromise to even up the salaries while giving the Braves a useful piece. Braves could probably trade him pretty easily.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 09-14-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Are you just dumb or plain out stupid? I can see what type of person you are. Any player who is getting paid what he's getting paid and is producing what he's produced deserves to be criticized as much as possible. Even Andruw Jones who was one of the greatest Atlanta Braves of all-time and far and away my favorite player growing up was criticized for his pull happy approach at the plate and he hit 50 HR's the season before. Dude GTFO here with that BS. I hated on Uggla his first season until he got hot because when you get paid like these guys get paid then you better produce.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teheran_49 View Post
    Are you just dumb or plain out stupid? I can see what type of person you are. Any player who is getting paid what he's getting paid and is producing what he's produced deserves to be criticized as much as possible. Even Andruw Jones who was one of the greatest Atlanta Braves of all-time and far and away my favorite player growing up was criticized for his pull happy approach at the plate and he hit 50 HR's the season before. Dude GTFO here with that BS. I hated on Uggla his first season until he got hot because when you get paid like these guys get paid then you better produce.
    I know one thing, you don't find me doing something like that, regardless of what kind of person I am or how stupid I may or may not be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teheran_49 View Post
    Wow. Man you need to take up knitting or something calming. Anything to get you away from the other kids.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (09-15-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I know one thing, you don't find me doing something like that, regardless of what kind of person I am or how stupid I may or may not be.
    Man I see you come here with this race crap about BJ on multiple occasions. Either you just want to stir crap up or you truly believe that. If you do believe that then I stick to my previous statement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Wow. Man you need to take up knitting or something calming. Anything to get you away from the other kids.
    Sorry if I speak on how I feel. Anyone who thinks Braves fans don't like BJ because of his race or are impatient with BJ because of that is ridiculous. I'm white, I listen to country, but guess what? I'm wearing a Justin Upton shirt/jersey and bought it as soon as we traded for the guy. As I stated earlier Andruw was my guy no matter what he did and my old name on the other board was AjGoldGlove25 and even though he wasn't "Black American" and was from Curacao he wasn't white. So I'm sorry if I'm not the type that sits back to this BS. I won't go further into what I think because there is another forum on here for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    There are legitimate reasons to criticize BJ. That is not what I said at all. And the fact that you took a statement--where I named no one--so personal says more than enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    There are legitimate reasons to criticize BJ. That is not what I said at all. And the fact that you took a statement--where I named no one--so personal says more than enough.
    C'mon man don't act that was not what you were implying. I'm not saying you were directing towards me but to think Braves fans are bashing BJ and are impatient with him because he's black is just ridiculous man. Everybody gave Uggla a pass because he had an unbelievable second half and everyone thought ok he was just pressing the first half because he's now on a team with a winning tradition but dude played like trash last year and has been more than horrible this year and I don't know anyone who wants him back next year.

You also point to BJ and his career numbers as a symbol for him being a good player but will you do the same for Uggla then? Uggla's career stats blow BJ's out of the water and it's not even close. In no way am I defending Uggla as you can see with me plugging La Stella like crazy but BJ's career numbers show that a season like this was almost bound to happen. Pedestrian averages and pedestrian OBP. At least with Uggla and his poor BA(not including this piss poor year) he always got on base at over a 35% clip something BJ hasn't even came close to since 2007. He's lived off that 2007 for years and people keep saying potential this potential that well he's 29 now so I think this is more of the reality with BJ than the aberration. I hope he does bounce back but I personally don't see it likely. I think next year he will be better but I doubt if he hits above .230 and has an OBP over .320.