Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wisler called up again.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    JMO, but it's far too early for me to have a feel for what the brass is liable to do at the beginning of next season at this juncture.

I definitely agree that breaking camp with two rookies is unlikely - however, I'm quite sure none of us saw signings of Colon and Dickey and a trade for Garcia back in the winter of 2015 either. The point is that there are now enough arms in the higher levels of our system that there's always the chance that it could happen.

What part of my point that they could easily decide to pick up Dickey's option and re-sign Bartolo (or add another one of the many veteran arms that'll be available) for one year (or maybe a 1 + 1 deal like Dickey's) to only leave them with one opening didn't make that clear? Assuming that happened, you'd then have an open competition for the #5 spot between Wisler, Blair, Sims, Newcomb, and potentially Fried, Weigel, Allard, and Soroka next spring.
    I actually did predict Jaime Garcia to some degree and I wasn't surprised they also signed a veteran to a one year deal, though two was somewhat surprising.

I agree that Newcomb, Sims, Wisler, and Blair should have opportunity to earn a spot sometime this summer and then again in Spring. I just can't imagine they would start the AA kids in the rotation out of spring training. To me that's pretty close to malpractice.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    If the FO is trying to develop these guys as future starters, I don't believe toying with them now is a smart decision... at some, player development needs to take some precedent over getting an extra win

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    If the FO is trying to develop these guys as future starters, I don't believe toying with them now is a smart decision... at some, player development needs to take some precedent over getting an extra win
    Don't tell that to people who think MLB wins matter more than anything else.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Perhaps this is just in case of emergency and he will be sent back down for next start and we are making more of this than needs to be.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Perhaps this is just in case of emergency and he will be sent back down for next start and we are making more of this than needs to be.
    Not following how it could be an emergency (twice) when you have guys like David Hernandez sitting down there.

Just seems like a lack of focus and/or strategy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    There is also an increased injury risk shuttling them between starting and relieving.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Not following how it could be an emergency (twice) when you have guys like David Hernandez sitting down there.

What do you mean.. he hasn't pitched a single inning from the pen yet. Why call up David and add him to the 40 man, if they never had plans to do so.. Maybe they should have.. but I guess they had a reason they didn't like David. So instead, let Wisler come up and be here in case extra innings and then send him back down when his spot comes back up. if they use him for an inning would not jeopardize his next start.. Blair was called up and sent back without sniffing a game. He was there just in case.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There is also an increased injury risk shuttling them between starting and relieving.
    Like several guys in the playoffs.. it not like they are going to use Wisler for 30 games out of the pen and 20 starts in Gwinnett... This is being over blown big time..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Like several guys in the playoffs.. it not like they are going to use Wisler for 30 games out of the pen and 20 starts in Gwinnett... This is being over blown big time..
    we did it last year with John Gant...hope it doesn't happen again

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    And then traded him over the off season...deja vu?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I agree. But I don't think gant is the same as wisler. I hope

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Hernandez is in Anaheim.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I said the same about Blair -- it think it really shortsighted and silly how the Braves are handling these two guys.

Both were starting to have a little success as starters in Gwinnett, why do anything to mess with that? For what? To see if they can be a decent middle-reliever? To help a team on pace to win 65 games squeeze out a couple more Ws?

It would be one thing if they profiled as closer-type relievers -- like lets say Touki never progresses and when he's 23 years old we bring him up and see what he looks like out of the pen, that makes more sense. But neither of these guys really profile like that, so why take any chance that brining them up messes with them?

Don't mess with them, let them start at AAA most of the year and see what you have. I didn't like when they did this with Gant either.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Why not call up Hursh or Jackson and let them get an extended stint in the bullpen.

While we are on the subject, I don't really like how we are handling Jackson either, he's got a great arm - figure out his role and let him develop. Starting him in AAA, then shuffling him into the pen in the majors (where I thought he looked pretty good) and then back to Gwinnett to start doesn't make sense to me. I understand wanting to get a talented guy innings, but at this point if you really think he can be a starter, let him start for awhile in Gwinnett. If not, use him out of the pen like he'll be used in the majors so he can acclimate to that role.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (04-27-2017)