Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TUESDAY THREAD FINAL 4/25 ... Most important day so far

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Refreshing to see such a dominant outing from Fried. Hoping he was just off a little bit because of being rusty after his brief break with back tightness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I liked Arrieta way back when he was drafted and he was viewed as only having mid rotation potential. Just wanted to make that point to people who think ceilings are written in stone. Newcomb I am convinced is a future closer. At this point I won't be disappointed with that outcome.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I just hope we don't give up on Newcomb and it become an Arrieta situation. Patience costs us nothing.
    Exactly he could be a decent #5 while learning because his stuff is good enough even when he struggles. I could see us giving up before too long on Blair or Wisler because their stuff isn't that special. We need to be much more careful with Sims and Newcomb. TOR talent doesn't grow on trees.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Exactly he could be a decent #5 while learning because his stuff is good enough even when he struggles. I could see us giving up before too long on Blair or Wisler because their stuff isn't that special. We need to be much more careful with Sims and Newcomb. TOR talent doesn't grow on trees.
    Nonsense, I have a TOR tree in my backyard

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Nonsense, I have a TOR tree in my backyard
    Ha!!! You had one all this time and are just now telling us?? We could have drafted some hitters!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I liked Arrieta way back when he was drafted and he was viewed as only having mid rotation potential. Just wanted to make that point to people who think ceilings are written in stone. Newcomb I am convinced is a future closer. At this point I won't be disappointed with that outcome.
    This is a great point, and it happens far more often with pitchers than hitters. Now, we're still talking about very small %s and no moves should be made on the hope that a guy like Newcomb flips a magical switch at some point. But it's something to always stay mindful of.

As for Sims in the post above this, I don't think Sims truly has TOR potential. I think Newcomb does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Jesse Biddle with a nice outing. Guy was a first round pick. Could be a sneaky bullpen candidate towards the end of the year if not early next season.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Jesse Biddle with a nice outing. Guy was a first round pick. Could be a sneaky bullpen candidate towards the end of the year if not early next season.
    He came in and calmed down the mess that Reynolds started. really no one hit him hard. it was funny.. he got ahead of the last hitter 0-2, then threw 3 straight garbage pitches and Araiza threw a bullet back to him.. he got the message and struck him out the next pitch.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is a great point, and it happens far more often with pitchers than hitters. Now, we're still talking about very small %s and no moves should be made on the hope that a guy like Newcomb flips a magical switch at some point. But it's something to always stay mindful of.

As for Sims in the post above this, I don't think Sims truly has TOR potential. I think Newcomb does.
    ??
    Almost everything I've read on Sims says he has TOR potential. Inconsistent...sure...the talent is there. I'm not one of the many originally stating that.

There isn't a magical "switch". These type pitchers develop late in a lot of instances. Why? Because their stuff was so friggin good coming up, they never really had to learn how to pitch. Then they get to the upper levels and have to adjust. Sure, some don't and flame out (literally). You have to give them time. How much time?? Folty is nearing 26 and is just now maybe/hopefully coming into his own. He is finally....actually....pitching.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    ??
    Almost everything I've read on Sims says he has TOR potential. Inconsistent...sure...the talent is there. I'm not one of the many originally stating that.

There isn't a magical "switch". These type pitchers develop late in a lot of instances. Why? Because their stuff was so friggin good coming up, they never really had to learn how to pitch. Then they get to the upper levels and have to adjust. Sure, some don't and flame out (literally). You have to give them time. How much time?? Folty is nearing 26 and is just now maybe/hopefully coming into his own. He is finally....actually....pitching.
    Well, Arrieta pretty much flipped a switch.

And I haven't really seen anyone in the last couple years at least say Sims has legit TOR potential. His fastball is not good enough. I've seen some that think he still has a chance to be a decent major league SP but most are pretty much resigned to him in the pen.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Can we at least agree Sims has more potential than Wisler lol?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Well, Arrieta pretty much flipped a switch.

And I haven't really seen anyone in the last couple years at least say Sims has legit TOR potential. His fastball is not good enough. I've seen some that think he still has a chance to be a decent major league SP but most are pretty much resigned to him in the pen.
    I have not read his fb is not good enough. Link?

That's a HUGE red flag, and I really don't remember anything like that.
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I have not read his fb is not good enough. Link?

That's a HUGE red flag, and I really don't remember anything like that.
    I think the only thing I remember reading/hearing is he wasn't able to control his fastball. his movement often took it out of the zone. if he can control it to either get more called strikes or deceive the hitter to get more swinging will be the key. His Curve is most definitely TOR good. He might need to build a 3rd pitch to really become TOR however.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I think the only thing I remember reading/hearing is he wasn't able to control his fastball. his movement often took it out of the zone. if he can control it to either get more called strikes or deceive the hitter to get more swinging will be the key. His Curve is most definitely TOR good. He might need to build a 3rd pitch to really become TOR however.
    This is what I have heard. His FB has lots of movement and takes it out of the zone and his change is below average. If his change becomes average he can be a starter. If he can control his FB, he can be TOR.

Notice in his history, he has either blown people away or been hit hard. If his stuff is good that day, he is TOR easy, but his mechanics sometimes falter and he is just plain bad.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    How many guys do we have who "just" need a 3rd pitch?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I may be wrong, but the things I've read say his fastball is too flat...which seems to be the opposite of what others have read.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    That's the rub. Every starter needs an off speed option. A 3rd pitch, just to be viable as a starter. That is why most on this board and others say pitcher x (Newcomb, Sims, etc) are bound to be high leverage relievers.

Yes it is true. The organization is responsible for player development and part of that is to develop a player's 3rd pitch. If Sims has a plus FB and a plus plus Curve but his change is below average, can the organization develop it to be average. And if they do, then he is a #2/#3 at the worst. I think they try until he reaches 24 or 25 yrs old. Until then, they need to try (too much value) in starters with plus stuff.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    our depth in that department is staggering. but seriously, I would rather be in this situation than, after our top 4 pitching prospects, we have nothing. The hitting has been abysmal this year however.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Riiiight. I would be interested to see all your "predictions" from 10 years ago.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I may be wrong, but the things I've read say his fastball is too flat...which seems to be the opposite of what others have read.
    not sure..maybe. I watched 2-3 games and his fastball moves in on righties. he has a four seamer that is flat and very straight.. but should play off his other pitches.