Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: TUESDAY THREAD FINAL 4/25 ... Most important day so far

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    That is my concern as well. hopefully we can get a few great years from him and then trade him off as the younger crop starts to press the rotation.

You have to be impressed with the AA rotation. That is usually the hardest jump A+ to AA and we have several guys who went from A to AA and early returns have been outstanding. Then you have the Rome entire pitching staff that is just dominate right now. Plus GoHard in A+ doing well.. Sims has looked good. Wisler/Blair/Newk all seem to have moments.. plus your pure stuff guys like Touki and Sanchez.. The MLB team has been depressing, but I have enjoyed the early start for our top prospects and beyond..
    I felt pretty optimistic about the future; but then I found out soroka will never be an effective MLB pitcher and we signed dickey/colon over the next arrieta

2. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-26-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I felt pretty optimistic about the future; but then I found out soroka will never be an effective MLB pitcher and we signed dickey/colon over the next arrieta
    why do you have to always piss in my cheerios.. I am all feeling good and you slap me with a dose of reality... Why did we not sign Arrieta 2.0 this offseason.. genius at work I guess.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The example we are currently discussing is Arrieta, who was not young when the Cubs gave him a chance at the MLB level. He was a disappointing prospect who the Cubs decided to take a chance on because they were terrible. The Braves should be doing the same thing in an attempt to find the next Arrieta, not paying old pitchers $30M to eat innings.
    What you said wasn't immediately clear, but got it now.

You want the braves to acquire more formerly highly drafted pitchers with tools who haven't performed except you want them to play them at the major league level.

You aren't sure those guys are, which is odd since you keep a detailed list of every somewhat obscure position free agent the braves should have overpaid.

I assume this is just awaiting research.

Nothing wrong with your strategy I guess except the market in high upside but disappointing relatively young major league pitchers seems like it might be tight. Taijuan walker is one, I guess.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Was Arrieta even considered a guy with great upside? He was drafted in the 5th round out of TCU after a decent career there, and he got worse as a junior. Nothing from his numbers would indicate he had some kind of immense potential. His K/9 his junior year was under 9.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    He was a 1st rounder prior to an injury.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    He was a 1st rounder prior to an injury.
    I do see that he signed a huge bonus for a 5th rounder. It just seems odd that he would have even been considered a 1st rounder at any point after his junior year. A K/BB ratio of under 2 at the college level doesn't scream 'elite'.