Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: MINORS FINAL; 4/26 WEDNESDAY: Tough Act to Follow

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I know he's a ways away, but Anderson has been pretty dominant, aside from just the basic 'all pitching prospects have risk' I don't see why you think he's a 4/5 type.

Newcomb isn't going to be a bullpen guy, some team is going to let him start. Honestly with his build, high-end stuff and ability to strike people out - I don't think its tough to see him at least becoming a back-end inconsistent type starter. But I'd be very surprised by a move to the pen with him. He'll start somewhere, the biggest question with Nuke is how close to his ceiling does he get.
    The Braves currently have 6 pitchers that could be considered Top 50-100 prospects (and none in the elite and more "sure thing" Top 10). Historically, about 40%-70% of those guys fail to produce even 3 WAR at the MLB level.

I am projecting 1 to have a significant career, 2 to have decent careers, and 3 more to have some sort of MLB career in the BP.

If anything, I am being optimistic about this group of pitchers.

I realize Braves homers think all these pitching prospects will pan out, but facts are facts, and the facts are that it's more likely each one of these guys produce nothing than produce significant careers.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    yep.. just like Folty..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    yep.. just like Folty..
    Folty is from the Blair/Wisler/Jenkins group and is the only one having any success. I think the numbers are playing out exactly as projected with that group.

Wisler - Top 50 guy
    Blair - Top 50 guy
    Jenkins - Top 100 guy

But you're right, I'm sure this next wave of pitchers will be different.

Posi-Braves assssssemblllllle!
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-27-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Folty is from the Blair/Wisler/Jenkins group and is the only one having any success. I think the numbers are playing out exactly as projected with that group.

Wisler - Top 50 guy
    Blair - Top 50 guy
    Jenkins - Top 100 guy

But you're right, I'm sure this next wave of pitchers will be different.

Posi-Braves assssssemblllllle!
    But those guys aren't on the same level as our current pitching corp. Yet when some try to say the Braves got great value in all of their trades the Wisler and Newcombs of the world become world beaters.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    But those guys aren't on the same level as our current pitching corp. Yet when some try to say the Braves got great value in all of their trades the Wisler and Newcombs of the world become world beaters.
    It all depends on which way the derptards are trying to spin their argument at any particular moment.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    The Braves currently have 6 pitchers that could be considered Top 50-100 prospects (and none in the elite and more "sure thing" Top 10). Historically, about 40%-70% of those guys fail to produce even 3 WAR at the MLB level.

I am projecting 1 to have a significant career, 2 to have decent careers, and 3 more to have some sort of MLB career in the BP.

I realize Braves homers think all these pitching prospects will pan out, but facts are facts, and the facts are that it's more likely each one of these guys produce nothing than produce significant careers.
    Nobody thinks all these pitchers will pan out, you can stop with the hyperbole.

You're just taking the stance that most pitchers don't pan out - so this crop likely won't either - that's fine.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think Wisler holds value. he has the ability to be a MLB player.. Newcomb is an enigma to me. I can't decide if I trust him or not. but I still think he has very high level potential.. that is all I need right now..

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

x2 post

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I think Wisler holds value. he has the ability to be a MLB player.. Newcomb is an enigma to me. I can't decide if I trust him or not. but I still think he has very high level potential.. that is all I need right now..
    Posi-Braves asssssemmmmbblllle! Circle jerk in 20 minutes!!

One of you guys excitedly writes all the pitching prospects in a list, drop it on the floor in the middle of the circle, and let's go to town!! Oh yeah!!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

You're just taking the stance that most pitchers don't pan out - so this crop likely won't either - that's fine.
    Easiest way to keep pricks from being pricks is ignore them - why not just let him argue with himself?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

One of you guys excitedly writes all the pitching prospects in a list, drop it on the floor in the middle of the circle, and let's go to town!! Oh yeah!!
    Don't get jealous because no one will join your circle around Lewis's college stats and Hahn smiling at you..

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

Umm... what?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Some of them will, some of them won't. The claim that he knows which ones will and which ones won't -- down in low A ball -- is pretty much a throwaway troll.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Don't get jealous because no one will join your circle around Lewis's college stats and Hahn smiling at you..
    Matt, you bring the lube. I know you have a bottle of the good stuff sitting by your PC you use to watch all the minor league games!

Posi-Braves asssemmmmmbbblllle! 15 minutes until the fun starts!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Some of them will, some of them won't. The claim that he knows which ones will and which ones won't -- down in low A ball -- is pretty much a throwaway troll.
    I'm making predictions that are at least consistent with historical facts.

Or are you another posi-Brave that thinks this next wave of pitchers is any different than the last wave of pitchers? Are they special? Just like the previous wave was special...until they weren't?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Matt, you bring the lube. I know you have a bottle of the good stuff sitting by your PC you use to watch all the minor league games!

Posi-Braves asssemmmmmbbblllle! 15 minutes until the fun starts!!
    That was a terrible comeback.. come on.. you are off today.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    That was a terrible comeback.. come on.. you are off today.
    Sorry, I can only come up with so much circle jerk related commentary.

But i can get the list started:

Newcomb oooohhhhh
    Touki yyessssssss
    Soroka aaahhhh
    Sims wwweeeeeeee

Posi_Braves asssemmmmemmmbblllle!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

Newcomb oooohhhhh
    Touki yyessssssss
    Soroka aaahhhh
    Sims wwweeeeeeee

getting better.. pretty weird.. but at least on the funny side again..

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Newcomb oooohhhhh
    Touki yyessssssss
    Soroka aaahhhh
    Sims wwweeeeeeee

Maybe because I am new here, but I am not sure the conclusion you are trying to get at with the circle jerk you are organizing.

We all know that if you have 5 good candidates, then only 1 will likely have a decent career.
    -- your point of Folty out of Folty, Wisler, Blair, Jenkins, Gant

But what I don't get is what is the argument? No one should have been excited about Gant because he surprised in AAA with some good outings? or if they got excited, then they should have kept it to themselves at their computer?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    Maybe because I am new here, but I am not sure the conclusion you are trying to get at with the circle jerk you are organizing.

We all know that if you have 5 good candidates, then only 1 will likely have a decent career.
    -- your point of Folty out of Folty, Wisler, Blair, Jenkins, Gant

But what I don't get is what is the argument? No one should have been excited about Gant because he surprised in AAA with some good outings? or if they got excited, then they should have kept it to themselves at their computer?
    They want to argue that this wave of pitchers is different. I want to argue that this wave of pitchers is exactly the same as the last. This is a message board, so we argue. The Braves suck, so all we can argue about is what future Braves might do.