Franco 1-3, RBI
    James 1-4, R
    Demeritte 1-3, SB

LINK

ADVANCED CLASS A

Palm Beach 9, Florida 8

SP: Toussaint 5 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, HR
    Lewis 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
    Cabrera 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K (rehab)
    LP: Roney (0-2, BS) 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
    Watts 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Acuna 2-4, 2B, 2 R, 3 RBI
    A. Jackson 1-5, 2B, RBI (C) 1-1 CS
    Neslony 1-4, RBI, BB
    Riley 1-5, 3 K

LINK

CLASS A

Rome 3, Hickory 1

WP: Anderson (2-1) 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
    Davidson 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K
    B.S. White (Save, 3) 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K

D. Cruz 1-4, R, RBI
    Yepez 1-5, RBI
    Ventura 2-3, 2B, R, 2 SB, BB (.394)
    Cumberland 2-3, 2B, BB

LINK

All Times Eastern
    Last edited by rico43; 04-27-2017 at 12:41 AM.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Newcomb's Outing from MiLB:

By Michael Leboff / MiLB.com |

In his last start, Sean Newcomb was roughed up by Triple-A Rochester for five runs -- four earned -- in 4 2/3 innings. Going up against the Red Wings again on Tuesday, the fifth-ranked Braves prospect turned in his best start of the season. Newcomb allowed two hits and struck out six in five scoreless innings in Gwinnett's 5-4 loss to Rochester.

"I feel like most of the time that situation works in the hitters' favor, facing the same team so quickly," Newcomb said. "Last game, I had the one bad inning where I fell behind batters and made some non-quality pitches that came back to bite me."

Following consecutive strikeouts to open the game, Newcomb issued a walk to Matt Hague and gave up a single to Twins No. 14 prospect Daniel Palka. The 23-year-old southpaw escaped the early jam by getting Mitch Garver to ground out to third.

"Coming into the game, I was working on my tempo and on attacking hitters more and it felt better," Newcomb added. "In the first inning, I could kind of feel like I was letting up a little bit too much. It wasn't like they beat me too much, so I kept the same approach."

Things started to click for Newcomb in the second as the Massachusetts native needed just 10 pitches to retire the side in order. Newcomb kept the Red Wings at bay again in the third, working around a one-out walk to Ehire Adrianza and striking out two in the frame.

"I used a lot of fastballs, which is always my strength, so I rolled with that. But I also did a good job mixing things to keep them off of the ball," Newcomb explained.
    o 2-0.

Newcomb was able to work around two more walks to Palka and Ben Paulsen in the fourth to keep his team ahead. Despite issuing free passes to 13 hitters in his first four outings at Triple-A, the University of Hartford product is trying not to worry about it at this point in the campaign.

"The walks don't concern me," Newcomb explained. "Sometimes I start trying to pinpoint the spot too much and that doesn't work out in my favor. Whenever I'm kind of flowing and aggressive, my pitches turn out to have more command behind them. I know that the walks will go down as I get more and more comfortable this season."

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Acuna (youngest player in the FSL) leads romp

From MiLB:

By Michael Peng / MiLB.com

The youngest player in the Florida State State did some substantial damage at the plate Tuesday. Ronald Acuna, Atlanta's seventh-ranked prospect, drove in a career-best five runs as part of a 3-for-5 day in Class A Advanced Florida's 22-2 rout of Palm Beach at Osceola County Stadium on Tuesday. The 19-year-old outfielder was hit by a pitch in his first at-bat, but the Fire Frogs batted around and he cleared the bases by lining a triple to right field as part of a 10-run inning. From there, the Venezuelan native singled up the middle, reached on a fielding error by second baseman Darren Seferina and grounded out to the mound in his next three at-bats before capping his big night with a two-run homer to center in the eighth.

The long ball was Acuna's second in eight games. He hit four of them through 40 games last season in the South Atlantic League. Apart from a brief rehab stint in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League, Acuna spent most of his time with Class A Rome in 2016, producing a .311/.387/.432 slash line with 18 RBIs. That performance earned him an invite to Braves Spring Training, where he opened some eyes.

"Everybody said, 'He reminds me of Andruw [Jones],'" Atlanta manager Brian Snitker told MiLB.com. "Andruw probably had more power, but there are a lot of similarities."

In 13 Grapefruit League games, Acuna went 8-for-27 (.296) with three extra-base hits.

"I'm very proud and honored that they gave me an invitation," he told MiLB.com through a translator. "To be honest, I wasn't expecting any of that. I was coming in with the expectation that I was going to the Minor League camp."

Despite the big game, Acuna still has to overcome some growing pains in the Florida State League, where he has struck out 25 times in 16 games. He didn't whiff at all Tuesday.

"His skill set is really good," Snitker said. "He's a talented kid and I really liked the way he made adjustments on the fly during counts this spring. His aptitude and feel for the game is really advanced for his age. He's good in the outfield and he can fly. He's got all five tools. Now he just needs to play."

The next two youngest players in the league, Braves No. 12 prospect Austin Riley and No. 19 Ricardo Sanchez -- both 20 years old -- also chipped in for Florida. Riley blasted a two-run homer and Sanchez (1-2) allowed two unearned runs on four hits and one walk while striking out five over six innings for the win.
    Atlanta's No. 23 prospect Alex Jackson and Tyler Neslony also went yard for the Fire Frogs with Alay Lago adding four RBIs. It was Jackson's fourth homer in six games.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Starter's Paradise today.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Is Pache hurt? This is the second day in a row he's been out of the lineup

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Is Pache hurt? This is the second day in a row he's been out of the lineup
    He played yesterday.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    He played yesterday.
    He played in game one yesterday, missed game two and is out again today. Hopefully it's nothing.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Anderson was really let down in the second. Cruz (who has made some bad decisions this year) botched a sure double play.. Then with runners on corners and 2 out.. a grounder to 3rd that should have been easy, but no throw made.. Scorer gave a hit and earned run when it should have been a error..

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Time to give Juan Yepez some attention for his start at Rome - repeating the level bc he missed significant time with injury last year, but nothing negative about holding your own at A ball as a 19 year old.

.333/.371/.524 so far with 9 2Bs and 1 HR, 5 BBs versus 17Ks in 63 ABs. Ks are a bit higher than you'd like to see, but the double power is promising. Defensively, would be interested in someone has seen him this year and can opine if he has any chance to be a 3B longterm.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    He played in game one yesterday, missed game two and is out again today. Hopefully it's nothing.
    resting. Herbert, Pache and some others getting the morning off.. available to pinch hit.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsbballfan View Post
    Time to give Juan Yepez some attention for his start at Rome - repeating the level bc he missed significant time with injury last year, but nothing negative about holding your own at A ball as a 19 year old.

.333/.371/.524 so far with 9 2Bs and 1 HR, 5 BBs versus 17Ks in 63 ABs. Ks are a bit higher than you'd like to see, but the double power is promising. Defensively, would be interested in someone has seen him this year and can opine if he has any chance to be a 3B longterm.
    Yep, very promising start for him. This is another reason I like the strategy to promote aggressively. A guy can repeat a level if he has an injury or struggles and you don't really set him back. There is more wiggle room there.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsbballfan View Post

He is hitting everything. He was doing that last year too before breaking his arm if I recall.. His defense is questionable. he is fielding under .900 thus far and like today, didn't make a play that should have been an error but wasn't ruled that way. However, the young rome team makes a ton of errors.. they are flashy but make a ton of errors. It will be interesting to see if these kids can start fielding better.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    resting. Herbert, Pache and some others getting the morning off.. available to pinch hit.
    I'm not doubting you, just seems weird with Rome games rained out on Sunday and Monday that he'd play one game in a DH on Tuesday and then sit Wednesday because of rest.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Anderson with another great start. 5.0IP 3H 1R 1ER 2BB 6K's. Really impressed with his numbers so far.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I'm not doubting you, just seems weird with Rome games rained out on Sunday and Monday that he'd play one game in a DH on Tuesday and then sit Wednesday because of rest.
    yeah.. I am going by what the radio guy is saying. I listened to his game yesterday and he had a good game.. offensively and defensively. But he played the whole game and never heard anything about tweaking anything. so I believe this is the case. Last Wednesday they rested Pache for the early start.. but he also played the night before.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Swanson View Post
    Anderson with another great start. 5.0IP 3H 1R 1ER 2BB 6K's. Really impressed with his numbers so far.
    in no way should that ER = 1.. The 3rd baseman fielded cleanly and just couldn't get the ball out of glove. But he was good. Seemed to be getting squeezed a little, but that is based on the radio guy who is the Rome broadcaster.. so use your salt.

So Anderson gave up 3 hits.. one was a grounder to 3rd where the Yepez didn't throw the ball and the other 2 were bloppers into shallow out field (one a broken bat)... he was better than good.. he also had a K and Cumberland let the ball get by, so he had to work for 4 outs that inning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Cumberland 2-2, 2b

Hopefully he's about to start hitting

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Cumberland 2-2, 2b

Hopefully he's about to start hitting
    Not as hopeful for him. His swing is so long.. I just don't see him ever hitting enough to make it..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Wonder if Anderson would seem like an overdraft if we redid the 16 draft now.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Wonder if Anderson would seem like an overdraft if we redid the 16 draft now.
    I questioned the pick, but I let it digest and tried to be patient to see if the FO knew more than the internet GMs and after watching him a few games and the results he is posting.. I would definitely say he would be a top 3 pick..

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (04-26-2017)