Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Braves and the strategy to go young

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    And yet in a month he will be mired in a slump of epic proportion. and never be an 'espn' highlight again. He is fun to talk about and entertains the mindless derps like you.. but reality will set in soon and we will all forget about him.
    You calling someone mindless? Thanks for the chuckle!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Well...that's folks on a message board...it really never makes sense to project a prospect to be All-Star or better...except a very small number of guys like Harper

Swanson in the same league as Hall of Famer type players never made any sense.
    No, it didn't. People were sensitive when that was pointed out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The only thing I would add is that if you are worried about the service time, then the player actually learned the lesson and succeeded. The struggles might actually make it easier to sign him to a team friendly deal, but it would certainly depend and could go either way.

I'd probably be in the camp of if someone is good enough to figure out to hit major league pitching, he probably can do it in the majors. The willingness of a major league club to give him the time is the question.

For the extremely rare case of someone like Thames who fails and then plays overseas and completely changes his approach to hitting .... I would find that about as useful to talk about as some other folks might want to talk about Tom Glavine being an example of you don't have to throw hard to be a successful major league pitcher.

Either way, I wouldn't think about Swanson again until June. If he's hitting .200 then and still looks hopeless then send him down, but I don't see why you wouldn't let him try to work it out from the 8 spot on this team.
    Agreed. Which is why I called it anecdotal evidence. Such evidence can be found to support any opinion on this matter.

However, my issue with Swanson being called up never revolved around whether or not he was "ready". My issue always was, and always will be, losing control of his age 29 season to stick him on a non-contending roster.

Whether or not they extend him is irrelevant. That move cost them control of that season, and the absolute best case scenario is they end up paying ~$10M more for his services that year. A mid-market team with a ****ty TV deal who is struggling to draw fans to a brand new ballpark can't blatantly waste $10M like that and expect to be successful.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Agreed. Which is why I called it anecdotal evidence. Such evidence can be found to support any opinion on this matter.

However, my issue with Swanson being called up never revolved around whether or not he was "ready". My issue always was, and always will be, losing control of his age 29 season to stick him on a non-contending roster.

Whether or not they extend him is irrelevant. That move cost them control of that season, and the absolute best case scenario is they end up paying ~$10M more for his services that year. A mid-market team with a ****ty TV deal who is struggling to draw fans to a brand new ballpark can't blatantly waste $10M like that and expect to be successful.

I totally agree he shouldn't have been called up. I think it was an error to do so, if for no other reason than he hadn't really played all that well in AA. And the money.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I totally agree he shouldn't have been called up. I think it was an error to do so, if for no other reason than he hadn't really played all that well in AA. And the money.
    There are so many factors that made his call up a terrible idea, all of which were pointed out by anyone with half a brain at the time of the promotion:

1. He wasn't exactly tearing up AA.
    2. The Braves were not in contention.
    3. It cost them his age 29 season.

I think Coppy was somewhat forced into the move based on his quotes, so I have to assume it was forced by older FO members who won't be around (or alive) when Swanson is 29 and therefore don't care about that season.

There are literally zero positive aspects to calling him up early other than silly arguments about jersey sales and "getting his feet wet".

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-27-2017)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    There are so many factors that made his call up a terrible idea, all of which were pointed out by anyone with half a brain at the time of the promotion:

I think Coppy was somewhat forced into the move based on his quotes, so I have to assume it was forced by older FO members who won't be around (or alive) when Swanson is 29 and therefore don't care about that season.

There are literally zero positive aspects to calling him up early other than silly arguments about jersey sales and "getting his feet wet".

How many ways can you say exactly the same thing? Jesus, give it a rest. It's well beneath your pay grade to say a prospect hitting .111 was promoted too quickly, anyway. Pretty sure less gifted posters could reach that conclusion.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    And Dave Cameron agrees...you're a moron:

12:25
    caesarsolid: If Thames keeps up anywhere near his current ISO, how long before suspicions about PEDs drowns out his production?
    12:25
    Dave Cameron: People who think this is about PEDs don’t know what they’re talking about.
    Cool. I'm convinced.

Look at his muscles, dude.
    Last edited by smootness; 04-26-2017 at 02:31 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    How many ways can you say exactly the same thing? Jesus, give it a rest. It's well beneath your pay grade to say a prospect hitting .111 was promoted too quickly, anyway. Pretty sure less gifted posters could reach that conclusion.
    As many ways as you posi-Braves derptards can defend the move.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Cool. I'm convinced.

chicks and Enscheff dig the long ball...

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Cool. I'm convinced.

Black Jesus

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Black Jesus
    He is known simply as...God.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Not coincidentally, this is Zeets strategy as well.
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Thames will obviously cool off. But looking at his swing heat map....he hasn't been chasing pitches out of the zone. He's been super selective. That's the biggest difference. He always had power and bat speed.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Not coincidentally, this is Zeets strategy as well.
    ^icu^

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-26-2017)

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    is there any way to prove negative consequences from aggressive promotion...how could you establish such a thing
    precisely. thus it's absurdly stupid to proclaim some giant swanson error in this department. they could just as easily had not called him up until he was ready only to find out he's never going to be ready. this is still the dumbest argument smart people make about the braves.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

none of those are good explanations on your part. do you have the ability to reason or are you stuck with name calling? again, you are pretty off base with all of this. the difference in money is going to be minimal in the long run if swanson ends up being great. perhaps they hurt his development, but not really. great athletes aren't made in the D league or the minor league. if swanson is as legit as they hope, he can just as easily learn how to hit at one level as another.

the only reason ensheff must care so much is that he must be on the hook for the extra few million this might cost the braves over time, if it ends up costing them anything. otherwise, again, it's the dumbest discussion point ever. dansby will either pan out or not and it won't have a thing to do with where he is right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Going young. Sounds familiar. Weren't we the youngest team in baseball in 2013? Oh, well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    none of those are good explanations on your part. do you have the ability to reason or are you stuck with name calling? again, you are pretty off base with all of this. the difference in money is going to be minimal in the long run if swanson ends up being great. perhaps they hurt his development, but not really. great athletes aren't made in the D league or the minor league. if swanson is as legit as they hope, he can just as easily learn how to hit at one level as another.

the only reason ensheff must care so much is that he must be on the hook for the extra few million this might cost the braves over time, if it ends up costing them anything. otherwise, again, it's the dumbest discussion point ever. dansby will either pan out or not and it won't have a thing to do with where he is right now.
    Those 3 points are the main 3 points teams use when determining when to call a prospect up.

Minimal difference in money? Since when is losing a player entirely after his age 28 season, or having his age 29 season cost $10M more than it otherwise should have a minimal amount for a team with a terrible TV contract and mediocre attendance numbers in a new stadium?

Again, another derptard missing the point. Nobody is claiming this will hurt Swanson's development (though some are questioning it). The issue is with mismanaging the value of a player asset. If you can't understand that, and can't write in 5th grade grammar, please refrain from discussing things with me.