Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Layoffs

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts

ESPN Layoffs

Jayson Stark and Jim Bowden are among the 100 or so reporters laid off by ESPN today.....pretty crazy

I wonder how long ESPN is going to be around
    Get off my lawn!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    They are losing a ton of money due to people cutting the cord. Sadly this is going to keep happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Why couldn't they fire Steven A Smith..

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (04-26-2017), jpx7 (04-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    They didn't cut fat, they cut deep into the muscle today. Letting go a lot of the niche writers/personalities makes some sense. ESPN has gotten bloated. But getting rid of guys like Stark and Werder is something entirely different.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Why couldn't they fire Steven A Smith..
    Because that's what espn is now. What happened to MTV is happening to espn. People don't wait all day to watch sportscenter for highlights when you can see them instantly online.

They have to adapt.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (04-26-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Guys like Start must have been making a fortune to justify getting let go

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Many, unlike Stephen A., were at the end of their contracts. To be, biggest shock is Dr. Jerry Punch, a 30-year employee. Stark should be with MLB Network by Monday and Bowden is a clown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    And only one black person...

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Seldom is there any reason to still watch. A waste of money having to pay for it on tier of satellite bill. Of course, that's no different from hundreds of other channels!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    The NFL and MLB network give me everything I need....

Oh and the golf channel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Because that's what espn is now. What happened to MTV is happening to espn. People don't wait all day to watch sportscenter for highlights when you can see them instantly online.

They have to adapt.

I don't think that is what is killing ESPN. They pander incessantly to the biggest markets and became the network of trolls like Skip Bayliss. It got them ratings in the short term but long term made more people quit watching totally. Yes cord cutting is a factor but it become a lot easier to cut the cord when they became trash. They would run stories like "Saints need to trade Brees to the Jets because they need cap room, third round pick should get it done". That was a real story about 4 years ago. They also started creating stories instead of reporting on stories. A braves example, years ago I remember them interviewing Smoltz and they were fixated on wanting the Braves to trade Smoltz, they kept asking him questions about being traded. Smoltz tells them "look, if they don't want me and try to trade me then sure I will accept, I don't want to be here if they don't want me". What does ESPN do? Runs a story saying Smoltz wants out of Atlanta. Another example of the **** ESPN does is when something happens like Michael Sam coming out as gay. ESPN goes on and on about how it's going to be a distraction. Well yeah it's a distraction when ESPN reporters ask every player on the team "is Michael Sam being gay a distraction?". Then when a player says no they ask the same same question. Well yeah it's a ducking distraction when ESPN asks every player 15 questions a day about Michael Sam. I know some teams didn't want him because it would be a distraction but I guarantee you the only distraction they were worried about was that ESPN was going to do finally harp on it in every interview until it became a distraction. So yeah, **** that network.

Edit - and let's not forget Jim Bowden of the "I would trade Strasburg for one year of a 45 year old Roy Oswalt" fame.

Edit 2 - for anyone that still watches how is ESPN handling Tebow playing baseball? Do they have a go pro hanging from his nuts that they go live to every time he bats?
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 04-26-2017 at 08:56 PM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

mossy (04-27-2017)

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    people still watch sports on espn.

espn just overspent and are losing subscriptions by the bundle. it has nothing to do with some bad story about drew brees or whatever other nonsense i'm reading above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    And only one black person...

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I don't think that is what is killing ESPN. They pander incessantly to the biggest markets and became the network of trolls like Skip Bayliss. It got them ratings in the short term but long term made more people quit watching totally. Yes cord cutting is a factor but it become a lot easier to cut the cord when they became trash. They would run stories like "Saints need to trade Brees to the Jets because they need cap room, third round pick should get it done". That was a real story about 4 years ago. They also started creating stories instead of reporting on stories. A braves example, years ago I remember them interviewing Smoltz and they were fixated on wanting the Braves to trade Smoltz, they kept asking him questions about being traded. Smoltz tells them "look, if they don't want me and try to trade me then sure I will accept, I don't want to be here if they don't want me". What does ESPN do? Runs a story saying Smoltz wants out of Atlanta. Another example of the **** ESPN does is when something happens like Michael Sam coming out as gay. ESPN goes on and on about how it's going to be a distraction. Well yeah it's a distraction when ESPN reporters ask every player on the team "is Michael Sam being gay a distraction?". Then when a player says no they ask the same same question. Well yeah it's a ducking distraction when ESPN asks every player 15 questions a day about Michael Sam. I know some teams didn't want him because it would be a distraction but I guarantee you the only distraction they were worried about was that ESPN was going to do finally harp on it in every interview until it became a distraction. So yeah, **** that network.

Edit - and let's not forget Jim Bowden of the "I would trade Strasburg for one year of a 45 year old Roy Oswalt" fame.

Edit 2 - for anyone that still watches how is ESPN handling Tebow playing baseball? Do they have a go pro hanging from his nuts that they go live to every time he bats?
    I won't disagree with that I am turned off by that as well. But I still think I am in the minority. I feel most people eat that drama up whether its real or artificial. It does get ratings which is why they do it. Same reason clickbait articles are way more popular online then actual reports of actual news. It's just the society that we are in. For example in years past I would be glued to ESPN's Baseball Tonight during their trade deadline show. IMO it was the best source of quick information at the time. Fast forward to today? You get **** on twitter instantly. Wanted Braves highlights? Wait for Sportscenter or Baseball Tonight. Now? Watch highlights minutes after they happen.

People still watch the live sports as chilldress said. That's always going to happen and IMO is the #1 thing against anyone cutting the cord altogether. However ESPN did pay a ****load for the rights they got and with them not getting built in revenue anymore due to cord cutters they are hurting.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

Those are good stories, but not the deal breakers. Back in the the 90's, SportsCenter was definitely must-see TV. All of the important personalities dispersed. Then, as OP noted, the specialty networks. For everybody here, MLB and for me, NHL instead of NFL. NBC Sports became more aggressive at getting packages that ESPN used to handle (hockey, Formula One).

Unless cable and satellite providers drop ESPN, people who no longer have use for other, are still stuck paying.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

People who were watching ESPN and sports in general are not the ones cutting the cord. If you want to watch live sports, you have cable. Period.

It is absolutely the non-sports viewers cutting the cord that is leading to the loss of subscribers. I don't watch ESPN much and haven't for several years, but I absolutely still subscribe because I want live sports.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    people still watch sports on espn.

espn just overspent and are losing subscriptions by the bundle. it has nothing to do with some bad story about drew brees or whatever other nonsense i'm reading above.
    They also aren't even losing money yet.

They are making an adjustment in advance of what is coming.

They only need to start monetizing a la carte offerings or offering direct subscriptions and they will be fine.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Heres a nice list of who is gone so far

https://www.reddit.com/r/sports/comm...alities_today/

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackwaterPark For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (04-27-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    ESPN has become a pop culture left wing loving disaster. Glad they are beginning to crumble.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-28-2017), Jaw (04-27-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I didn't realize Andy Katz lost his position too. They let go of the few actual reporters they have.