Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: MINORS THREAD FINAL4/27 ... Walkoff HR for Franco

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    The offense across the system has been weak tonight. The two games I caught had multiple opportunities wasted. Days like this bum me out a bit. Individual results are good but no team finished the job.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Bummed for gohard. He was really controlling game. The hitter that drove two in was being controlled too. His slider was great. For what ever reason gohard threw a outside fastball after slider after slider. The hitter was fooled but because it was outside he could flick his bat. He should have busted him in then if need another slider away. Tough luck for a good game
    Honestly the runs don't even matter to me. 7 K's and 1 BB. Good stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I don't know why you're so obsessed with talking about the individual players... I don't care about that. I care about the strategy. I care about the process. I don't agree with it. That's OK, isn't it?

Thank goodness Wren left us with Albies and Acuna or else we'd have nothing down there (Matian is bare 16)
    How would you define this strategy:

Trade for Alex Jackson
    Sign Pache
    Sign Cruz
    Sign Maitan
    Sign Guitierrez

All in one years time.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah...Gohara has taken a YUGE step forward this year. He's in our top 5 pitchers for sure.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Draft Riley, trade for Swanson and Inciarte!!
    Just asking to the people that say we don't have batters. How many good batters we need to win?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Draft Riley, trade for Swanson and Inciarte!!
    Just asking to the people that say we don't have batters. How many good batters we need to win?
    a lot more than we have

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

auyushu (04-27-2017), Julio3000 (04-27-2017), sturg33 (04-27-2017)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Lots of late inning shoddy defense and shaky relief pitching.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (04-27-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    a lot more than we have
    lol literally my first thought after reading that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Hope is not a strategy. Sims is waaay down the prospect list. No one is counting on him to do jack. We should all "hope" he does though???

Isn't that what being a fan is about? Prospecting is not an exact science and not every player follows the same development path. If you think Sims is trash that is fine but I would think you atleast hope he turns out to be good. A player like Prado was not really even considered a prospect and look how he turned out. Jacob DeGrom was never a big prospect either. This is why we play the games and don't just award the title to the team with the most projected WAR.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    1. We put 90% of our eggs in the pitching basket.
    2. No matter where we put our assets...our scouting HAS to do well. We also drafted Braxton Davidson in the first round...so drafting a star hitter isn't a give either (although "maybe" a little easier).
    3.If it goes right, we can covert some of those assets into hitting if needed (especially with so many lefties).
    4. We should have the cap space to fill holes easily if all our pitching is good and cheap.
    5. I would rather have seen us not go heavy either way, but stay balanced (but what do I know).
    6. Although I don't totally agree with everything they have done (especially trades), I'm going to wait and see how it turns out to pass judgement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    How would you define this strategy:

Trade for Alex Jackson
    Sign Pache
    Sign Cruz
    Sign Maitan
    Sign Guitierrez

All in one years time.
    If you think trading for Alex Jackson proves your point, then I think we're done here.

I'm glad Coppy invested in the international market... we won't see the fruits of that for many more years. If we are supposed to be competing this year, we didn't go about it the right way.

A team who had the assets we had to trade should be in a more secure spot than we are. Our entire future rests in the hands of (a lot) of young, high risk/high upside pitchers.

If a bunch of them hit, we'll be golden and in a similar situation that the Mets are in. If it doesn't, it's going to be a long while before we turn things around bc we don't have all those trade assets anymore.

Like I said, thankfully Wren left us with two very good position prospects.
    Last edited by sturg33; 04-27-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    2. No matter where we put our assets...our scouting HAS to do well. We also drafted Braxton Davidson in the first round...so drafting a star hitter isn't a give either (although "maybe" a little easier).
    3.If it goes right, we can covert some of those assets into hitting if needed (especially with so many lefties).
    4. We should have the cap space to fill holes easily if all our pitching is good and cheap.
    5. I would rather have seen us not go heavy either way, but stay balanced (but what do I know).
    6. Although I don't totally agree with everything they have done (especially trades), I'm going to wait and see how it turns out to pass judgement.

A reasonable analysis. But upon further reflection, I'd say the trades have been closer to a D than a B. So hopefully the draft picks (Allard, Aoroka, Anderson) work out. And the early returns are very promising.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Isn't that what being a fan is about? Prospecting is not an exact science and not every player follows the same development path. If you think Sims is trash that is fine but I would think you atleast hope he turns out to be good. A player like Prado was not really even considered a prospect and look how he turned out. Jacob DeGrom was never a big prospect either. This is why we play the games and don't just award the title to the team with the most projected WAR.
    Exactly ...I hope they are ALL stars. Even the ones I am not big on.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    A reasonable analysis. But upon further reflection, I'd say the trades have been closer to a D than a B. So hopefully the draft picks (Allard, Aoroka, Anderson) work out. And the early returns are very promising.
    Out of the trades, I have the most hope for Fried and Gohara. Trades have not been great. I feel our drafting has been very good. It's where we win our loose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Out of the trades, I have the most hope for Fried and Gohara. Trades have not been great. I feel our drafting has been very good. It's where we win our loose.
    Yeah - Gohara looking good. I was referring to the "big trades" but Mallex was a good asset that looks promising. We'll see

Any-who, I like Fried - but simple probability says his chances aren't great.

I'm confident one or two of them will hit - which isn't enough, IMO

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    I agree completely. But I listened to his whole start except when fussing at my kids. But he was great and deserved that shut out with either a better pitch or pitch called. I know it is more about the destination not the journey. But still. I can't help to be a fan when I invested my time in his performance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I agree completely. But I listened to his whole start except when fussing at my kids. But he was great and deserved that shut out with either a better pitch or pitch called. I know it is more about the destination not the journey. But still. I can't help to be a fan when I invested my time in his performance.
    You seem to watch a lot... based on what you've seen, how would you rank the young pitchers this season... say top 5?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Exactly ...I hope they are ALL stars. Even the ones I am not big on.
    The point will always be that if you're a fan of this team you don't want any of the prospects to fail. Seems like some people hinge on every start or night to validate whether a prospect will fail or not.

I've seen more than many but I like good conversation. I sit with scouts a lot and they are wrong sometimes too. Hope....we do HOPE Sims is going to get it...Maybe he will. Seeing him as much as I have....I'll say he's behind about 6 other pitchers that I've actually seen first hand. But I guess I hope he succeeds. It would only enhance our opportunity to make deals when needed.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The thing about minors, is they have soooo much more inconsistent defense and umps. I see how many errors there are in most if these games. Not easy for pitchers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

It took Epstein five years to rebuild the Cubs. He had a nearly unlimited budget.

The circumstances are very different.

If you want to talk Astros, they were bad for a bit, then completely awful for another three years, and then bad, and since they have one playoff appearance to show for it. I'm not sure I'd call that an unqualified success, but if you like.