Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service Time Management Other Teams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

Service Time Management Other Teams

I thought it would be of interest to discuss service time management of other clubs. I will chime in with the case of Franklin Barreto of the Oakland A's.

He's 21 and ranked #40 by Baseball America. Had a solid season in AA last year (over 500 plate appearances). Very good spring training this year and off to a hot start in AAA.

The A's shortstop Marcus Semien broke his wrist and is out until June. So far the A's have opted not to call up Barreto.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Ozzie Albies ranked #12 ish (don't care to look) 20 years old.. had a good season last year in AA.. off to a good start.. Braves have garbage for a bench/utility guy.. Braves have yet to call him up.

Who wants to do the white soxs..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Pirates opted not to call up Meadows when Marte was busted for PEDs. Meadows was off to a slow start, but I think they would have waited even if he was doing well. Recently, he has been hitting better. We'll see. I don't think they'll call him up this year even he is raking.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Ozzie Albies ranked #12 ish (don't care to look) 20 years old.. had a good season last year in AA.. off to a good start.. Braves have garbage for a bench/utility guy.. Braves have yet to call him up.

You don't call up top prospects to be bench players. Regular AB's all the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

glad to see the Braves handling Albies so wisely...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts

LOL, first post of the day I read and you're asserting your stupidity from the start. Thanks for being consistent!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Pirates opted not to call up Meadows when Marte was busted for PEDs. Meadows was off to a slow start, but I think they would have waited even if was doing well. Recently, he has been hitting better. We'll see. I don't think they'll call him up this year even he is raking.
    I don't follow the pirates but Klaw was asked about Meadows and he said Meadows was nowhere near ready. I don't know what that means but that's what he said.

It's one thing to hold ppl down when they are not ready. Another to do it just for service time.

I think a big fight here is if Swanson was/is ready. I don't recall most national prospect ppl thinking it was a huge stretch. I do recall some saying he wasn't banging down the door and talking about service time. Nobody said he wasn't near ready that I recall. But I know board posters did. And I'm sure someone will supply a quote. Coppy was the only one I recall being quoted saying he didn't think about moving Swanson until Hart said so.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You don't call up top prospects to be bench players. Regular AB's all the way.
    this.. so BP wouldn't make our bench better?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    LOL, first post of the day I read and you're asserting your stupidity from the start. Thanks for being consistent!
    Hey, I left the White Soxs for you. I figure we can do a round robin type deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Coppy was the only one I recall being quoted saying he didn't think about moving Swanson until Hart said so.
    Well, he's just a discussion board poster. Don't have to give much weight to the fact he said the thought of promoting Swanson had not crossed his mind.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    We can't call him up until he's 24 so we can control him until he's 30 per Enscheff

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    He would. But BP is better than Albies right now so....

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    He would. But BP is better than Albies right now so....
    So because BP is better is why Ozzie is not in ATL? in your opinion at least? I personally don't think the FO wants to start his clock and knows he wont be helpful enough to justify. Swanson was different. I think they had doubts on his ability coupled with being a few years older and said it is time to see what you can do. if you are exceptional, then we WILL sign you.. if not, then we know a season sooner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    So because BP is better is why Ozzie is not in ATL? in your opinion at least? I personally don't think the FO wants to start his clock and knows he wont be helpful enough to justify. Swanson was different. I think they had doubts on his ability coupled with being a few years older and said it is time to see what you can do. if you are exceptional, then we WILL sign you.. if not, then we know a season sooner.
    Why the hurry to resolve "doubts about his ability." And couldn't some of those doubts be resolved one way or another in AAA. Service time usage is an awfully expensive way to resolve "doubts about ability."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    I don't know what their plans with Ozzie are. I would hold him down until 2 weeks into 2018. Only way I would change that is under a specific situation. And that's with the Braves contending, have a need that Ozzie can fill, and Ozzie is playing well in AAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I don't know what their plans with Ozzie are. I would hold him down until 2 weeks into 2018. Only way I would change that is under a specific situation. And that's with the Braves contending, have a need that Ozzie can fill, and Ozzie is playing well in AAA.
    Agreed. Short-term infield needs this year can be filled by Camargo, Kazmar and whoever else we have in AAA. Plus we can always make another trade for Aybar.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Why the hurry to resolve "doubts about his ability." And couldn't some of those doubts be resolved one way or another in AAA. Service time usage is an awfully expensive way to resolve "doubts about ability."
    There are. yes. But I also don't think the FO is concerned about signing him.. If they want to control him until age X they will sign him until age X.. He was/will never hit arbitration years....

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    There are. yes. But I also don't think the FO is concerned about signing him.. If they want to control him until age X they will sign him until age X.. He was/will never hit arbitration years....
    And that is going to cost the Braves an extra 15 million. Not a small number for a mid market team.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    And that is going to cost the Braves an extra 15 million. Not a small number for a mid market team.
    What are your thoughts on Moncada? I think the Sox will call him up this year.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    this hypothetical 15 million 7 years from now is not a concern obliviously