Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wisler

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    We will never have a good pen again if we refuse to use our best pitchers because relievers dont rack up WAR as fast as starters.
    That comment is going to leave half the forum dumbfounded!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    You want to give a promising pitcher as many opportunities as possible to be a starter. If it doesn't work out or if other more promising starters overtake them, you move em to the pen. I don't see the controversy. Of course, reasonable people can disagree as to whether someone like Wisler should be given more time as a starter. I'm in that camp. But I can see the case for moving him to the pen.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-01-2017)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You want to give a promising pitcher as many opportunities as possible to be a starter. If it doesn't work out or if other more promising starters overtake them, you move em to the pen. I don't see the controversy. Of course, reasonable people can disagree as to whether someone like Wisler should be given more time as a starter. I'm in that camp. But I can see the case for moving him to the pen.
    Wisler needs a third pitch. Period. He has a wonderful wipeout slider with an ERA+ of something absurd - 180 or so - and the fastball and change are ERA+ of under 50. And the fastball has enough juice that if there were a change, it would round into form.

Sometimes a pitcher will tinker and accidentally find the answer in an unusual place, as Mike Scott did with the splitter. But Wisler's issue and the resolution of it is crystal clear, at least to me. If he can't find an adequate-plus third pitch, he's a reliever. Or an insurance salesman.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Wisler needs a third pitch. Period. He has a wonderful wipeout slider with an ERA+ of something absurd - 180 or so - and the fastball and change are ERA+ of under 50. And the fastball has enough juice that if there were a change, it would round into form.

Sometimes a pitcher will tinker and accidentally find the answer in an unusual place, as Mike Scott did with the splitter. But Wisler's issue and the resolution of it is crystal clear, at least to me. If he can't find an adequate-plus third pitch, he's a reliever. Or an insurance salesman.
    In the case of Mike Scott, that place was the hardware store.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Agree with Gov here, Wisler needs a third pitch. he has to overpitch because he only has two real pitches and once hitters are locked in he starts overthrowing and missing his spots.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    He gave an interview in the spring saying he was doing a lot of work on his changeup.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    He gave an interview in the spring saying he was doing a lot of work on his changeup.
    Which is his second pitch. What about a third? If anyone needs to learn a third pitch it's probably Julio too. I'm surprised Julio is still throwing 4-seamers at 92 instead of 2-seam sinkers.

FWIW, your'e not the only one that is still on the Wisler bandwagon or however many of us are left. I'm right there with you bud. If anything I was probably higher on Wisler than Folty although the tables have reversed but I'm still wanting to give Wisler a chance.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Which is his second pitch. What about a third? If anyone needs to learn a third pitch it's probably Julio too. I'm surprised Julio is still throwing 4-seamers at 92 instead of 2-seam sinkers.

FWIW, your'e not the only one that is still on the Wisler bandwagon or however many of us are left. I'm right there with you bud. If anything I was probably higher on Wisler than Folty although the tables have reversed but I'm still wanting to give Wisler a chance.
    I think the change is his third pitch. He only threw it 6% of the time last season.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (05-01-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    The change is his third pitch. Fastball, slider, change.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    I think the change is his third pitch. He only threw it 6% of the time last season.
    He was told there would be no math.
    Ivermectin Man

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Ah ok. I thought when they brought Glavine in to mentor him during ST last year it was to help him with the fastball-change up dynamic.

Good to know.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

Julion throws his two-seamer 10% of the time. Maybe he'd benefit from bumping it up, but right now he has five pitches that he throws at least 7% of the time. He does a decent job of commanding a 5-pitch repertoire. Lack of variety is not his problem, to the extent that he has a problem. Maybe he has too MANY pitches.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Julion throws his two-seamer 10% of the time. Maybe he'd benefit from bumping it up, but right now he has five pitches that he throws at least 7% of the time. He does a decent job of commanding a 5-pitch repertoire. Lack of variety is not his problem, to the extent that he has a problem. Maybe he has too MANY pitches.
    Nonsense. He needs to keep the ball down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Nonsense. He needs to keep the ball down.
    That was just a rhetorical rejoinder to DL's suggestion that he needed a third pitch.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Twitter chatter about Braves like Wisler in this role. Wisler leaning on Collmenter to adapt. Why do I hate this so much... should I just accept this and move on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Twitter chatter about Braves like Wisler in this role. Wisler leaning on Collmenter to adapt. Why do I hate this so much... should I just accept this and move on?
    No you should dig in your heels and be complaining about this for at least another year like the Swanson Needs to be in AAA Club

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I don't really like this, but whatever, Wisler sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    The other Wisler thread is locked, so I thought I'd bump this up so we would have a new place to discuss what a sorry lot white southerners are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    By looking at who we place in Mississippi, I get the impression they have our best pitching coach in the minors. I wish we'd get wisler there to work with him and leave him there all year. Give wisler a shot in ST

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    By looking at who we place in Mississippi, I get the impression they have our best pitching coach in the minors. I wish we'd get wisler there to work with him and leave him there all year. Give wisler a shot in ST
    I don't know that that's true. We were aggressive with Allard and Soroka, but we also put Gohara at A+, Newcomb at AAA, etc. And Wisler and Blair arguably needed the most specific work out of our pitching prospects, and we sent them both to AAA rather than AA.

I think we were just aggressive in promoting Allard and Soroka. Assuming they keep this up all year, I would imagine they'll be in AAA next year.