Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT 5/2/17: Braves vs. Mets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Braves now have the 12th best fWAR. How should we interpret that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Assuming it is not a rhetorical question on your part, I highly recommend that you make your own analysis and share your conclusions with us. I sincerely believe you would benefit from the exercise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Assuming it is not a rhetorical question on your part, I highly recommend that you make your own analysis and share your conclusions with us. I sincerely believe you would benefit from the exercise.
    My analysis is that's it's SSS. If next week it drops to 27th, it's an accurate depiction

4. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Southcack77 (05-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    My analysis is that's it's SSS. If next week it drops to 27th, it's an accurate depiction
    Sounds accurate.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    That our position players are playing over their heads which should be obvious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That our position players are playing over their heads which should be obvious.
    Still believing at the very least the braves will have a bad offense?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Still believing at the very least the braves will have a bad offense?
    I do. One month isn't going to change that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I do. One month isn't going to change that.
    3 months but whose counting?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    3 months but whose counting?
    Apparently you are. Braves are 6th in the NL in team WRC+ which is good overall. 12th in BB%. 12th in ISO. 2nd in lowest K%. 3rd in BABIP. Offense is mainly being fueld by putting the ball in play (it's 2015 all over again!) and having hits fall in way above average. I suspect that will drop throughout the rest of the season. If the BB and ISO stay at the same level the Braves level of offense will be in the bottom 3rd of the league by the end of the year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Apparently you are. Braves are 6th in the NL in team WRC+ which is good overall. 12th in BB%. 12th in ISO. 2nd in lowest K%. 3rd in BABIP. Offense is mainly being fueld by putting the ball in play (it's 2015 all over again!) and having hits fall in way above average. I suspect that will drop throughout the rest of the season. If the BB and ISO stay at the same level the Braves level of offense will be in the bottom 3rd of the league by the end of the year.
    Fair enough. When would there be enough of a sample size for you to reconsider?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Fair enough. When would there be enough of a sample size for you to reconsider?
    Probably the all-star break. If the Braves ride the BABIP train till then even a return to normalcy for the rest of the season would still result in a non crappy offense for the whole season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    The Braves BABIP is .310 despite having had several players start a lot worse than you would expect. The league average is .300, which would be ok. .310 is generally good for about fifth or sixth in MLB, which isn't a huge outlier. Quite possible it's sustainable, but if not I doubt it will regress all the way to below average.

The Braves may have a low walk rate, but they also have one of MLB's best K rates. In essence they are putting the ball in play at a very high rate. Again, you would not expect that to regress to below average.

Seems like the Braves offense figures to be average minus big regression plus continued futility from some guys who have hit better.

I believe that you were ok with using the first week or two as a sample size.

there really is no reason to think the Braves offense won't be competent absent injury or trade, which are both very possible scenarios. In fact, injury is probably likely and would be the best explanation for why the Braves offense slips to below average this season. Atlanta has a number of competent major league hitters who may be post prime, but have not fallen off the earth just yet. Usually, its injury that stops those kind of guys from performing to prime.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    The offense is doing very well so far because the guys are out there protecting each other and it shows.
    Forever Fredi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-03-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    The offense is doing very well so far because the guys are out there protecting each other and it shows.
    the more pretty good hitter you have in a lineup the more likely you are to string together hits.

Braves BABIP after All Star break last year was .328.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    the more pretty good hitter you have in a lineup the more likely you are to string together hits.

Braves BABIP after All Star break last year was .328.
    The concept of protection is pretty clear. If you believe the 8th hitter is pitched around in the NL then you believe in protection.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I predicted we'd have a roughly average offense this year, and I still believe that will be the case. Freeman, Flowers, and Kemp will slow down, but Dansby will pick it up quite a bit and we'll end up with something better out of Adonis' spot, either through him improving or Albies taking his spot.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The concept of protection is pretty clear. If you believe the 8th hitter is pitched around in the NL then you believe in protection.
    Eh. I think it happens on extreme ends (like if you put Adonis behind him, Freddie would probably see fewer good pitches). But even then, I don't think it's a huge impact. And once you're picking between solid hitters and good hitters, I don't think it really affects anything. I don't think a pitcher is thinking, 'Man, I need to make sure I give Freeman something better to hit because I don't want to pitch to Kemp.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Assuming we can agree on what the terms average, above average and below average might be, I think it is fairly likely that the Braves will be an average team in the NL in terms of runs scored.

Above Average: Ranks in the top 5 in the NL

Average: Ranks 6-10 in the NL

Below Average: Ranks in the bottom 5 in the NL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The Braves BABIP is .310 despite having had several players start a lot worse than you would expect. The league average is .300, which would be ok. .310 is generally good for about fifth or sixth in MLB, which isn't a huge outlier. Quite possible it's sustainable, but if not I doubt it will regress all the way to below average.

The Braves may have a low walk rate, but they also have one of MLB's best K rates. In essence they are putting the ball in play at a very high rate. Again, you would not expect that to regress to below average.

Seems like the Braves offense figures to be average minus big regression plus continued futility from some guys who have hit better.

I believe that you were ok with using the first week or two as a sample size.

there really is no reason to think the Braves offense won't be competent absent injury or trade, which are both very possible scenarios. In fact, injury is probably likely and would be the best explanation for why the Braves offense slips to below average this season. Atlanta has a number of competent major league hitters who may be post prime, but have not fallen off the earth just yet. Usually, its injury that stops those kind of guys from performing to prime.
    I agree with this. Absent a critical injury, I think our offense should end up being fairly average. We have one of the best hitters in the game in Freeman, a good leadoff man in Inciarte, and some competent (if not perfect) bats in Markakis, Kemp, and Phillips. Flowers is at least average as far as catchers go. Allowing for poor contributions from third and short, the offense should balance out around average.

Honestly, an average offense paired with an average starting staff should keep us in the fight for a .500 record, especially if we can fix the pen a bit. While that's not a team in "contention" it is at least a competitive team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Assuming we can agree on what the terms average, above average and below average might be, I think it is fairly likely that the Braves will be an average team in the NL in terms of runs scored.

Above Average: Ranks in the top 5 in the NL

Average: Ranks 6-10 in the NL

Below Average: Ranks in the bottom 5 in the NL
    Yeah, I think that's about right.