Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wisler Back To AAA

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,813 Posts

Wisler Back To AAA

Corresponding move to be announced later
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Hope They bring up Morris.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Someone said in GDT it's Cabrera.
    Forever Fredi

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    send Colon with him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    It was a guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    How about we send him back to the Padres?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    At least we waited just long enough for him to get shelled and maybe hurt his confidence.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    They said the plan for Cabrera was 2 appearances and they would bring him up. If not today then soon.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I thought they said they wanted to try him in back-to-back games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    How about we send him back to the Padres?
    They wouldn't take him. I do hear there's a need in the St. Mary's Group Home for Blind Amputee Women baseball league. He might be able to be a long reliever, mop up man there.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Well at least he no longer carries the distinction of worst pitcher in the league. I am sure someone is worse than he is at the AAA level.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    It probably shouldn't bother me too much because Wisler/Blair were already looking pretty bustish; but it really does kind of piss me off how they are handling those two.

Just leave them in AAA as starters and let them develop, yanking them up to the MLB bullpen and yo-yoing them around is a bad move.

Wisler had three starts in AAA and was looking like he might actually be righting the ship; last two starts prior to coming up - 13 IP, 3 ER, 10 SO, 2 BB.... that's pretty encouraging - so what does Atlanta do? Bring him up to pitch a couple random innings.... and now he's gotten shelled and they are sending him back down.

I didn't like how they handled Gant, and don't like how they are handling Blair/Wisler.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-04-2017), FreemanFan (05-04-2017), jpx7 (05-04-2017), Powder Blues (05-04-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    and I do understand that many starting pitchers get some innings in the bullpen, but when you are trying to rebuild confidence and get some consistency like Blair and Wisler are doing; I think you should let them do that at AAA --- especially in a season where we likely aren't competing anyway. Different scenario if this was a really good team that just needed one extra arm in the bullpen. We aren't that, so why turnstile guys like Blair and Wisler (former top-100) prospects that may still have a chance at figuring things out as starters.

Sigh. Rant over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    and I do understand that many starting pitchers get some innings in the bullpen, but when you are trying to rebuild confidence and get some consistency like Blair and Wisler are doing; I think you should let them do that at AAA --- especially in a season where we likely aren't competing anyway. Different scenario if this was a really good team that just needed one extra arm in the bullpen. We aren't that, so why turnstile guys like Blair and Wisler (former top-100) prospects that may still have a chance at figuring things out as starters.

Sigh. Rant over.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Sigh. Rant over.
    Serious question - if Wisler is "righting the ship" in AAA but can't get MLB hitters out for one and two inning stretches (whether at the beginning of a game or in the 6th and 7th inning) what difference does it make?

Wisler, Blair, and Gant's "stuff" didn't suddenly disappear because they spent a few innings pitching out of the pen. If you're a AAAA starter but have a chance at cashing MLB paychecks rather than the ones you get at Gwinnett I've got this sneaking suspicion which you'd prefer. It's a results-based business, and nothing other than a couple of nice starts from ANY of those three have indicated that they'll be successful major league starters. They've been given a taste, and none have shown the ability to make the necessary adjustments to succeed.

Wisler, Blair, and Gant are all "break the glass" options in an emergency - none of them have a go to pitch that will make them consistently successful at the major league level, so why not try them in shorter stints to see if they might make an adjustment and be able to help your club out of the pen? They're all the type who get passed by other (better) options eventually. If they show they might be useful as a long guy, you don't have to release them. Stretching them out and showing the rest of the world that they can be pretty good in AAA isn't going to increase their trade value.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Wisler's fastball is plenty good, 93-94, and he's hit his spots in the past. He's got to develop something that gets them off his fastball, probably the change, and then have the guts to throw it in fastball counts. Not a curveball/slider, he's got an excellent slider. But a straight change, or maybe a splitter.

Lil Guv is at the age now where he needs something else, but he has never gotten the deception of the change, at least not consistently. He was screwing around with a splitter in a bullpen and threw five in a row that sunk like a stone 20 feet from the plate. He's using that as a change of sorts, and it's working. Makes his very-good-but-not-Scherzerian fastball look explosive.

Then Wisler can throw the fastball with a little more confidence, and I think the whole thing would come together for him. I still like him. It's hard to spin a ball the way he does that slider. That's a pitch you build around. And I think his fastball's good, too.

The guy needs a change or a change substitute. You might as well send him down and let him work with your best pitching coach, whether that's in Florida, Gwinnett or Rome. He's useless until he figures this out. But if he does, he can still be really good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Serious question - if Wisler is "righting the ship" in AAA but can't get MLB hitters out for one and two inning stretches (whether at the beginning of a game or in the 6th and 7th inning) what difference does it make?

Wisler, Blair, and Gant's "stuff" didn't suddenly disappear because they spent a few innings pitching out of the pen. If you're a AAAA starter but have a chance at cashing MLB paychecks rather than the ones you get at Gwinnett I've got this sneaking suspicion which you'd prefer. It's a results-based business, and nothing other than a couple of nice starts from ANY of those three have indicated that they'll be successful major league starters. They've been given a taste, and none have shown the ability to make the necessary adjustments to succeed.

Wisler, Blair, and Gant are all "break the glass" options in an emergency - none of them have a go to pitch that will make them consistently successful at the major league level, so why not try them in shorter stints to see if they might make an adjustment and be able to help your club out of the pen? They're all the type who get passed by other (better) options eventually. If they show they might be useful as a long guy, you don't have to release them. Stretching them out and showing the rest of the world that they can be pretty good in AAA isn't going to increase their trade value.
    See my post right after yours. That's not exactly accurate with Wisler. What's his ERA+ with the slider? Shockingly low. In fact, it IS a pitch you build around.

I'm not ready to give up on Wisler, but he needs intensive third pitch therapy, maybe on a backlot in Florida.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    See my post right after yours. That's not exactly accurate with Wisler. What's his ERA+ with the slider? Shockingly low. In fact, it IS a pitch you build around.

I'm not ready to give up on Wisler, but he needs intensive third pitch therapy, maybe on a backlot in Florida.
    If it's that good, he wouldn't keep getting crushed at this level.

The point still remains, he's getting a little too old to worry so much about his confidence. He's dangerously close to getting passed by Sims, Newcomb, and others before next spring. Since that's the case and then the floodgates are liable to open late next year (Allard, Gohara, Fried, Weigel, Soroka) it's time for him to show he can be useful in another role.

His flaws have been exposed for him for some time now, and he's been told what he needs to do to tighten things up. Successful MLB players make adjustments - Aaron Judge got his taste and swung at every slider he saw last year and struck out at a 50% clip. He made the necessary adjustment. Neither Wisler nor Blair have shown they can make the adjustments they need to.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    If it's that good, he wouldn't keep getting crushed at this level.

The point still remains, he's getting a little too old to worry so much about his confidence. He's dangerously close to getting passed by Sims, Newcomb, and others before next spring. Since that's the case and then the floodgates are liable to open late next year (Allard, Gohara, Fried, Weigel, Soroka) it's time for him to show he can be useful in another role.

His flaws have been exposed for him for some time now, and he's been told what he needs to do to tighten things up. Successful MLB players make adjustments - Aaron Judge got his taste and swung at every slider he saw last year and struck out at a 50% clip. He made the necessary adjustment. Neither Wisler nor Blair have shown they can make the adjustments they need to.
    Look it up. I gotta go to work or I'd do it. Judge was not going to be successful and then one day he figured it out. And he's a little older than the Yanks would have liked, but whenever he figured it out was a good answer.

If Wisler gets a third pitch at 27 he'll be successful for eight years. If he never gets it he'll need a new line of work. I agree that ML hitters are making it crystal clear that he ain't fooling 'em. I have a pretty strong opinion where to go from here. Whether Gohara and Wentz develop sooner is completely irrelevant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

Players aren't going to throw the same at AAA as a starter and in the majors as a reliever. Wisler had just put two really good starts together, and but at that level he's still able to work on his pitches without having to worry about getting crushed. His primary focus can be development, whereas coming out of the pen he needs to just get results.

Neither of these guys are so old that you give up on them and both have pedigree and past success that should buy them more time. Everything we do this year should be focused on developing our assets, either as players or trade pieces. Why not call up Hursh to fill that 6th inning role? Collementer can be the long-guy for awhile.