What a ****ing joke.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (07-18-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    It is the right move to repeal with no replacement.

To act like this is the wrong move is to suggest that ACA was better than what we had before. And that is demonstrably false.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    This could be the opportune time for Democrats to begin to angle toward universal healthcare. Instead of digging in here and wearing the obstructionist label, state a willingness to work improve the ACA to bring healthcare to ALL Americans. I don't expect Republicans will bite (although I still hang on to a sliver of hope that Trump flips), thus making healthcare a hot button issue in 2018/20. Based on how how Bernie's message resounded in this past election, I think it could very well be a winning message. Democrats need to organize around a classic people's party platform with populist undertones. The country is screaming for it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

goldfly (07-18-2017), Runnin (07-18-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    This could be the opportune time for Democrats to begin to angle toward universal healthcare. Instead of digging in here and wearing the obstructionist label, state a willingness to work improve the ACA to bring healthcare to ALL Americans. I don't expect Republicans will bite (although I still hang on to a sliver of hope that Trump flips), thus making healthcare a hot button issue in 2018/20. Based on how how Bernie's message resounded in this past election, I think it could very well be a winning message. Democrats need to organize around a classic people's party platform with populist undertones. The country is screaming for it.
    Gillibrand is already hyping Single payer train.

Medicare for all currently polls 65/35.

Single payer wins polling vs. current system or Obamacare. A state like WV supports it. It's possible.
    Forever Fredi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-19-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It is the right move to repeal with no replacement.

To act like this is the wrong move is to suggest that ACA was better than what we had before. And that is demonstrably false.
    Read Chait's assessment:

In truth, it was never possible to reconcile public standards for a humane health-care system with conservative ideology. In a pure market system, access to medical care will be unaffordable for a huge share of the public. Giving them access to quality care means mobilizing government power to redistribute resources, either through direct tax and transfers or through regulations that raise costs for the healthy and lower them for the sick. Obamacare uses both methods, and both are utterly repugnant and unacceptable to movement conservatives. That commitment to abstract anti-government dogma, without any concern for the practical impact, is the quality that makes the Republican Party unlike right-of-center governing parties in any other democracy. In no other country would a conservative party develop a plan for health care that every major industry stakeholder calls completely unworkable.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ot-govern.html
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    This is a moment I have been waiting for for a long time. I have been telling Republican family/friends/co-workers that they will never repeal Obamacare. Even if Romney won it would always be "reformed" and never eliminated. Whole lot of "told you so's" coming up.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    People acting like the world is going to end with a repeal are wrong as usual.

Can the left EVER make an argument that isn't emotional?

ACA doesn't work. Even the left has admitted that. Why don't you repeal it and work on something better? Stop trying to polish a turd ("reform" I think is the government word)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    you act as if this is fantasy baseball where only the stats and numbers are in play.
    Disregarding the concept that the game is actually played on a field,by people, with a ball that hurts when it hits you. There are rocks in the infield causing bad hops and winds that effect the flight of the balls. Thrown and batted

That was Chait's point, if you read the article.
    Conservatism works fine on paper. It is the political equivalent of fantasy baseball . Useful ideas and constructive data to be taken into account but --
    Real life --- not so much.

"Can the left EVER make an argument that isn't emotional?"

Emotional is a bad thing when discussing people lives ?
    Methinks you've been reading too much Breitbart where compassion is viewed as a weakness and uber white masculinity is the norm.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-19-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Derek Nelson‏ @derekcnel 20m20 minutes ago

We are simultaneously being told:
    -- We don't have money for 4 million kids on Medicaid
    -- We have $1.6 billion for 74 miles of fence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Methinks you've been reading too much Breitbart where compassion is viewed as a weakness and uber white masculinity is the norm.
    I've noticed this is the new argument from the left. "You must be watching fox news or reading breitbart."

I do neither. I have a mind of my own.

Stop acting like the world is going to an end to go back to a system we had not 5 years ago.

It will be OK. It will be better for the country as a whole. Save your example of a random sick child - I've heard them all.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    hey, the world won't end if we go back to a system that killed people cause they couldn't get health insurance or healthcare for their problems

hey, i have my own mind although all my arguments and talking points are easily found and by a huge coincide the same by just looking up drudge headlines

lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    hey, the world won't end if we go back to a system that killed people cause they couldn't get health insurance or healthcare for their problems

hey, i have my own mind although all my arguments and talking points are easily found and by a huge coincide the same by just looking up drudge headlines

lol
    Since you are checking drudge daily, feel free to post some of those headlines for those of us who never view it.

I'd love for you to provide me some examples of doctors letting patients die because of lack of insurance. I bet there's millions if your hysteria is well founded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    LOLGOP Retweeted
    Topher Spiro‏Verified account @TopherSpiro 1h1 hour ago

Republicans are voting Tues. but have no idea what they're voting on.

The vote affects tens of millions and 1/6 of the economy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Senators voting to stop Trumpcare represent 36 million more people than the ones who didn’t
    It must be nice to live in a democracy.

Tuesday afternoon, senators split 50–50 on a motion to proceed to debate an as-yet-undetermined plan to strip health coverage from an unknown number of Americans. Vice President Mike Pence, who received fewer votes than his Democratic opponent in 2016, cast the tie-breaking vote in favor of the motion.

https://thinkprogress.org/senators-v...t-4d2170ba1385

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    John McCain is the God-Emperor of crying O tempora! O mores! then doing ****all about it.

Ben Sasse is the Grand Dauphin.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

CK86 (07-25-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Ben Sasse is an empty suit that talks the tal then when it comes to walking the walk he gets "troubled" or uses mamby pamby phrases like inappropriate.
    John McCain with out the bio

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

CK86 (07-25-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    ACA doesn't work. Even the left has admitted that. Why don't you repeal it and work on something better? Stop trying to polish a turd ("reform" I think is the government word)
    The GOP have no ideas on what to repeal it with aside from making things significantly worse. That is the problem. I would love for them to have a bill that either fixed the ACA or a plan that didn't seem like it was just thrown together with no idea of what they're trying to accomplish. They have no turd to polish, instead they brought us a dumpster of diarrhea. Yay GOP!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Ben Sasse is an empty suit that talks the tal then when it comes to walking the walk he gets "troubled" or uses mamby pamby phrases like inappropriate.
    John McCain with out the bio
    I will be working to vote his ass out the next time he's up for re-election for precisely this reason. 100% voting record with Trump yet always "troubled" or "deeply disturbed".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts