Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Direction...

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Can't get much for Julio now, and the time to trade him would have been at the deadline or offseason. Markakis at this point in his contract would be a good guy to move IF DPete is healthy by then. I think we could probably get something for Dickey and definitely for Jamie Garcia since he's a lefty (unless he implodes before then).

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If the team is still on a pace to win 64 games on June 1st, chances are very good all of veteran pitchers performed so poorly they will hold almost zero trade value. At that point, the team will be best served letting those guys play out the rest of this dismal season and prevent all the minor league talent from accruing any service time. There is quite literally nothing on the roster with any trade value that the Braves don't want to build around.

Unfortunately, the FO seems to think Markakis and Kemp are part of The Core, so they won't be going anywhere. I'm not sure they will bring back anything worthwhile anyways, and it's not like the Braves need to free up money by trading them away to add a few FA pieces that pushes them over the top. Lastly, there isn't a single player in the system ready to step into either corner OF spot, so just let Kemp and Markakis play out their contracts.

No matter what the record is a couple months from now, the plan shouldn't change. The Core is Freeman, Swanson, Inciarte, Folty and Teheran, so those guys stay at least through 2018 (when Julio has 2 years of control left), and possibly through 2019. Over the next couple seasons, The Core will be supplemented by Albies, then 2-3 of the Allard group, then Acuna, and a couple mid-tier FAs sprinkled in the rotation, C and 3B.

In short...stay the course.
    I'm in the opportunistic "stay the course" camp where I would move any of the veterans short of Freeman for the right offer. The Teheran issue is tricky because it's quite possible that he has no value after 2018 and the great contract is no longer great.
    In short, I think the FO needs to re-evaluate what they call core. As for holding a veteran to keep from playing a younger player, that assumes that the younger player being played would actually be someone who is considered a real prospect.

I think you could trade both Kemp and Markakis and replace them with guys like Adams, Avery and AB Walker. That might cost you 3-4 games in the standings but what difference does that make. And you might find a legit 4th OF for the future out of the bunch. Maybe audition Peterson late in the season if he shows he's healthy and potentially ready.

In other words, I wouldn't let the fear of appearing to be tanking or concern over the horrific nature of the final record stop me from making a trade that I thought could help in the future.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-08-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Hey Mets and Harvey are getting a weird vibe...

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Julio has a two-seamer that he throws periodically and not with particularly good results. He's always had a gopher problem and he just worked around it because he was effective and probably comfortable throwing the four-seamer most of the time.

Early returns would suggest that his style is not going to work at Coors - err, Sun trust. He's going to need to keep the ball down and sink it. He needs to see if he can throw that two-seamer and be effective. He's a very good craftsman, so I think he can do it. But he must. He doesn't have a choice.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I would have to think about offers for Inciarte and Folty. Folty could be moved but what is his value weighed against potential value? Inciarte probably can't be moved right now due to the recent extension and trade of Mallex.
    Amazing but probably not too surprising that this drivel is being resurrected.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Let's say June 1st rolls around we still look about the same as we do now...what then?:

1. Hey, slow down buddy...tap the brakes. We will pull out of this. We should wait until the trade deadline AT LEAST, before we make any moves (if at all). I like the overall direction....patience!!

2. Scour the ground!! If your name isn't Freddie, you are not safe!! There may be a TON of sellers by the deadline, and we need to get a head start NOW!! Gawd this team sucks!!

3. See ya vets!! Lets go ahead and let some of the young guys pitch and trade the vets now. I think our offense is fine and should keep it the same. Our pitching is horrible, so why not let the young guys learn??

4. No trades yet, but fire Snit and any other coaches to try and turn this suck fest around....it's not the players fault...it's coaching!!!

5. Nothing will change, until we rid ourselves of The John's and their errand boy Coppy...start there!!

Ok....good times
    I'm old enough to remember that before the season I didn't think the Braves would be particularly good and should look to sell off any veterans who were outperforming in continuing effort to rebuild the club for its true contention window (or not if things go poorly) at the end of the decade.''

Games will be lost. Prospects will have good games, prospects will have bad games. Some will hit, some will miss. And things will be as they will be.

Snitker is going to be headed back to AAA after this season most likely and the Braves will be turning over the dugout again. At least I hope they will. I'm afraid they will feel some obligation to keep it within the organization and that simply doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Amazing but probably not too surprising that this drivel is being resurrected.
    The product on the fields suggests that the road not taken was probably the right road after all.

A five year rebuild can't be shortened unless you spend a LOT of cash (which the Braves haven't and won't) and you get extremely lucky while having no misses. It was never in the cards and to pretend differently is inefficient and wasteful

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    3 with a sprinkle of 2. Also, demote Swanson for the extra year of control and learning.
    This.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    The product on the fields suggests that the road not taken was probably the right road after all.

A five year rebuild can't be shortened unless you spend a LOT of cash (which the Braves haven't and won't) and you get extremely lucky while having no misses. It was never in the cards and to pretend differently is inefficient and wasteful
    That's all true but nobody can justify the "trade Inciarte" talk. Really hope it had died for good after the extension. Apparently not. No matter how long it takes, they're going to have to identify players, besides just Freeman, to build the team around. Inciarte will be part of of it.

Everybody knows the obvious names if conditions are no better at the deadline. It's funny though, a Mets fan had a better idea than the trade proposals that pop up here. Colon or Dickey for Harvey.