Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Minors Final Monday 5/8 ... Pike leads mound effort

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I've read this here before about Sims, but never anywhere else. Yet, he strikes out a ton of guys. Could you link the comment(s) on this? Is he getting all the swing and misses on the offspeed stuff?

I'm just curious because that'd be new info to me at least.
    It's been written all over the place. Here's the one from FG since I already had the site open:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-3...tlanta-braves/

Lucas Sims, RHP, 1.8 KATOH+ – Sims will sit 94-96 with a plus curveball, but the fastball plays down due to its flat, lifeless nature. Sims’ delivery is a bit stiff and oddly paced, resulting in 30 control. He needs to improve his ability to throw strikes just to be a middle-relief piece, and there’s a chance he never gets there.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's been written all over the place. Here's the one from FG since I already had the site open:

Lucas Sims, RHP, 1.8 KATOH+ – Sims will sit 94-96 with a plus curveball, but the fastball plays down due to its flat, lifeless nature. Sims’ delivery is a bit stiff and oddly paced, resulting in 30 control. He needs to improve his ability to throw strikes just to be a middle-relief piece, and there’s a chance he never gets there.
    everything I've seen says the FB is bad and he's mechanical. I think road 2 atlanta's last podcast said that. Klaw has said that for years. FG and BP have not been high on the FB.

I'm not aware of the data but Klaw's new book talks about FB with high spin rates being more effective than higher velocity FB with lower spin rates.

I was under the impression that Sims need to pitch backwards and establish the other pitches and then sneak the 95 heat by vs establishing the FB due to it's propensity to get hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts

Thanks for that.

Interesting they were likely the only outlet without him ranked at all.

I'd think this is entirely fixable, or workable. Doesn't spell doom imo...
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,319 Posts
    I read one report that said that Sims' fastball is only flat when thrown high in the zone. Good movement otherwise. Don't know if it's true or not.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    everything I've seen says the FB is bad and he's mechanical. I think road 2 atlanta's last podcast said that. Klaw has said that for years. FG and BP have not been high on the FB.

I'm not aware of the data but Klaw's new book talks about FB with high spin rates being more effective than higher velocity FB with lower spin rates.

I was under the impression that Sims need to pitch backwards and establish the other pitches and then sneak the 95 heat by vs establishing the FB due to it's propensity to get hit.
    Spin rate + arm angle = movement.

High spin rate 4 seamers up are good if they have sufficient velocity (Sims has that) and a spin axis that makes it "rise".

Low spin rate 2 seamers/sinkers are best down to induce grounders.

Breaking balls also require high spin rates to have good movement, and all accounts indicate Sims has a good curve.

I have no idea where to find Sims' spin rates. If he has a "straight" fastball he most likely has a spin rate that falls right in the middle, so he doesn't get any "rise" or "sink". I also have no idea if a player can increase or decrease their spin rates. So far that skill seems to be innate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Scivique's a longshot but I'm really rooting for him.
    Not many eye popping tools but good defense and hits everything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts

He's improved quite a bit so far this year in these areas

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    He's improved quite a bit so far this year in these areas
    I think I read here the other day that Sims has a two seamer and a four seamer.

I'm not sure that was accurate but the argument was that only one of them was flat.

Either way, sims hasn't really been that hittable typically if I recall correctly. K rated and avg against have generally been low, but he has tended to lose command and give up runs in bunches when he does. That's been my impression of the reports here if anything.