Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you do this?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts

Would you do this?

If at the end of the season, our team is so bad, we have guaranteed ourselves a top 5 pick again, would you make moves to accelerate this rebuild, or would you try to hit the reset button?

My thinking is that we have a lot of prospects in the lower system. Maitan, Acuna, Newcomb, Allard, Gohara, Jackson, Soroka, etc. I think the quickest way to become competitive sooner rather than later would be to trade Freeman. Granted, I am NOT saying I WANT to trade him, but if we got an offer of guys ready to step up and play now, would that not make more sense for us?
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Let the rebuild happen naturally. Dont sign any big name free agents to long term lucrative contracts. Sign our young players to long term contracts ASAP. Even if they bust we are out about 30 million over 6 years or something like that. Thats practically bench player money these days.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-10-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I'd trade everyone but Freeman and the kids. Freeman is young enough that I don't think patience will hurt us with him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I would evaluate trades on a "time neutral" basis. In other words I don't think we should discount wins in a particular season at the expense of another. There are circumstances where this makes sense (mid-season) or at the end of a season when you have very little chance of competing the next.

Now I suspect what I just said will raise some eyebrows. Some people may think we have very little chance next year. I think this overlooks the two most significant developments this season so far in terms of implications for next year. One is Freddie's emergence as an elite player. When you have someone like that you can compete even with a whole lot of average at other positions.

Second, the news on our pitching in the minors has been very good. Most of them have put up really outstanding strikeout and walk rates. And more and more of them are doing it in AA and AAA.

Given those two developments, I'm not inclined to write off 2018. But I'm not inclined to do anything that is specifically focused on "accelerating" the rebuild. I would assess returns on trades on a "time neutral" basis.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-10-2017 at 09:27 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (05-10-2017), JohnAdcox (05-10-2017)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would evaluate trades on a "time neutral" basis. In other words I don't think we should discount wins in a particular season at the expense of another. There are circumstances where this makes sense (mid-season) or at the end of a season when you have very little chance of competing the next.

Now I suspect what I just said will raise some eyebrows. Some people may think we have very little chance next year. I think this overlooks the two most significant developments this season so far in terms of implications for next year. One is Freddie's emergence as an elite player. When you have someone like that you can compete even with a whole lot of average at other positions.

Second, the news on our pitching in the minors has been very good. Most of them have put up really outstanding strikeout and walk rates. And more and more of them are doing it in AA and AAA.

Given those two developments, I'm not inclined to write off 2018. But I'm not inclined to do anything that is specifically focused on "accelerating" the rebuild. I would assess returns on trades on a "time neutral" basis.
    Great post and I totally agree!
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-10-2017)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Freeman has his contract, and he's the core of any team. I take the money from the dumping of Colon, Dickey, Garcia, Phillips, etc. and lock up Swanson, give Flowers an extension if they can't snare Lecroy, re-sign Johnson if he's reasonable and bank the rest, letting the young guns know that if they prove themselves, a long term deal would be in the offing for them as well.

I trade Teheran, Cabrera, Wisler, Blair for fair market value (if the latter two have any)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Freeman has his contract, and he's the core of any team. I take the money from the dumping of Colon, Dickey, Garcia, Phillips, etc. and lock up Swanson, give Flowers an extension
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Freeman has his contract, and he's the core of any team. I take the money from the dumping of Colon, Dickey, Garcia, Phillips, etc. and lock up Swanson, give Flowers an extension if they can't snare Lecroy, re-sign Johnson if he's reasonable and bank the rest, letting the young guns know that if they prove themselves, a long term deal would be in the offing for them as well.

I trade Teheran, Cabrera, Wisler, Blair for fair market value (if the latter two have any)
    The devil is in the details on some of these ideas. Locking up Swanson for one. What is the expected future production that should be used to evaluate his compensation. I suspect this might be a hard one for him and the front office to reach agreement on. Trading Teheran for fair market value for another. Is fair valuation 3 expected wins per year or 1 win per year? Details, details. Sometimes they are important.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Try to sign Swanson way under market after the year he is having. A Flowers extension could be pretty solid gamble. He's posted (so far) back to back years in new career bests in K% and BB%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Try to sign Swanson way under market after the year he is having.
    What is market? At the start of the season this was discussed some around here. I said it would be risky to project him as anything more than a 2 win per year player. Others disagreed. I see no reason to change my view. Even 2 wins seems a bit high to me (and seemed high even before the season). Will Swanson and his agent agree to a contract that values him as a 1 win player. If so I'm all for it.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-10-2017 at 09:53 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Now is the perfect time to discuss an extension with Swanson, or at least a buy-out of his arbitration years. For two reasons: you show confidence and belief in him while he's struggling, and you do so at the low point in his value.

He may not be willing to take any discount, at which time you put talks on hold. But you at least start the discussion.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    What is market? At the start of the season this was discussed some around here. I said it would be risky to project him as anything more than a 2 win per year player. Others disagreed. I see no reason to change my view. Even 2 wins is seems a bit high to me (and seemed high even before the season). Will Swanson and his agent agree to a contract that values him as a 1 win player. If so I'm all for it.

The worst thing you can get is an answer you don't like! Offer 7/51 and see what happens.

18: 500K
    19: 500K:
    20: 3 million
    21: 6.5 million
    22: 9.5 million
    23. 13.5 million
    24. 15 million
    25. 15 million option (2.5 million buyout)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Well, I have advocated looking for the right trade for Freeman in the past because I never bought in to the 2017-18 time frame to be competitive. But now, I don't think the Braves can trade Freeman because of his performance (he's essentially now the Braves version of Mike Trout) and because of what would have to be coming back to make it a viable trade. Right now, I think you would need two ML ready young players who at least appear to have star potential and two (or four if you can't get 2 ML guys) really good prospects to even consider moving him AND these players would have to be in areas of need. It would have to be something like: 3B Bregman, OF Kyle Tucker, OF Derek Fisher, RHP Forrest Whitley & OF Gilberto Celestino. That would be a ton that the Astros would have to give up BUT, if you are thinking 2019-2020 are the real likely dates where enough of the youngsters will coalesce to make being competitive possible then it might make some sense for the Braves.

In that scenario you pair Bregman with Swanson and Albies to make up 3/4 of your future infield and you pair Tucker and Fisher with Acuna to make up your future OF, you add a high end starting arm to go into the current pile and add a well thought of international bat to mix with Pache, Cruz, Maitan in the far future to help patch holes and keep the waves of talent rolling.

The one thing it would do on the field short and long term would be to create a hole at 1B that would have to be filled. However, trading Freeman also moves his money which opens the possibility of signing someone else to come in and play that position. Or, you could aim to develop your 1B from the inside with options like Riley, Jackson and the very long shot of Davidson. It's unlikely ANY that you get will be able to duplicate the production of Freeman today. However, Freeman's production today isn't really doing much for the record of today and production today is no guarantee of production tomorrow.

Again, outside of a YUGE haul, I don't think the Braves can even consider it. And even given that, the politics of the new stadium and the "social contract" with the fans likely doesn't allow it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The worst thing you can get is an answer you don't like! Offer 7/51 and see what happens.

18: 500K
    19: 500K:
    20: 3 million
    21: 6.5 million
    22: 9.5 million
    23. 13.5 million
    24. 15 million
    25. 15 million option (2.5 million buyout)
    that should be our best offer not the opening offer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Well, I have advocated looking for the right trade for Freeman in the past because I never bought in to the 2017-18 time frame.
    I vaguely remember you telling me 2018 was the year the pie would be ready to come out of the oven.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I vaguely remember you telling me 2018 was the year the pie would be ready to come out of the oven.
    I've said in the past that I thought 2018 was when the turn would begin to happen and that, with luck, the Braves could potentially compete for a WC. But, I'm not very bullish on that now because the young pitching has been relatively slow to develop. It looks like Wisler and Blair are both complete busts at this point and Folty is likely never to see stardom or anywhere near it. The rushing of Swanson has also dampened my enthusiasm because right now one of the better outcomes for him would be that he struggles through the year but eventually rights the ship after a lost year at the ML level. The downside for him would be that he has been ruined and will never be the player that we all hoped that he would be. I can't remember a player who was obviously rushed and struggled mightily at the ML level and then went on to multiple All-Star seasons. There probably are some. I just don't recall any.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I've said in the past that I thought 2018 was when the turn would begin to happen and that, with luck, the Braves could potentially compete for a WC. But, I'm not very bullish on that now because the young pitching has been relatively slow to develop. It looks like Wisler and Blair are both complete busts at this point and Folty is likely never to see stardom or anywhere near it. The rushing of Swanson has also dampened my enthusiasm because right now one of the better outcomes for him would be that he struggles through the year but eventually rights the ship after a lost year at the ML level. The downside for him would be that he has been ruined and will never be the player that we all hoped that he would be. I can't remember a player who was obviously rushed and struggled mightily at the ML level and then went on to multiple All-Star seasons. There probably are some. I just don't recall any.
    Trout OPS'd under .700 in 40 games as a 19-year-old.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    And that bit of anecdotal evidence regrading the best player of this generation is all we need to know folks!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    And that bit of anecdotal evidence regrading the best player of this generation is all we need to know folks!
    What are you talking about? Did you read his post?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Thanks for the example. However, Swanson would need to raise his OPS by .249 points just to reach .700 in the next 11 games or .221 just to reach Trout's .672.

I think a lot of players fail to see .700 when they first come up but few end up completely lost at .451 and come back to a star career IMO.

I hope to be very wrong. But, I can't see any likelihood that the Braves rushing Swanson has done anything but seriously jeopardize his long term career. And, for no good reason.