Thread: Prohibition

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts

Prohibition

As a booze enthusiast (booziast?) I love learnign as much as possible about breweries and things of that nature.

What strikes me is that breweries pre-prohibition were much more diverse. I believe the high was about 4000 breweries. Because of prohibition closing most non-large breweries, and then further consolidation and by the 70s there was only like 50 breweries in America. Then Jimmy Carter repealed the ban on homebrewing and it lead to the start of the modern microbrewing. And we've just now reached the same levels as we were 140 years ago.

Same basic thing with wines. Before prohibition there were about 140 wineries in Napa Valley, after a root blight and prohibition there were only a few that existed. It wasn't until the 70s that they regained their previous status.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (05-11-2017), jpx7 (05-10-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I don't have the numbers, but you can added small batch or "craft" distillers to the list of industries finally in full-recovery after Prohibition and accompanying consolidation.

It's also not just California, vis-à-vis wine. Arizona actually had some legitimate small-scale winemaking before the state's 1915 state-level dry movements—and even after that movement's success, in fact, with Yavapai (my county) and Cochise county (east of Tuscon) electing to stay wet. The central (Yavapai) and eastern (Cochise) highlands of Arizona are actually extremely Mediterranean and extremely well-suited to growing Mediterranean grapes (think Rhône, Spanish, and central Italian grapes). Those aforementioned wet holdouts could not withstand Federal Prohibition, sadly, and winemaking in Arizona did not really rebound until about fifteen years ago; it didn't full recover until about five years ago.
    Last edited by jpx7; 05-11-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Yup.

Prohibition only ever benefitted a few people, the big breweries (though that was a slowburn) and the crime lords (and the politicians who were in their pocket)

I forget where I was reading stuff on distillation but most states it was still illegal. Hell I got a notice from NJ's Craft Brewery fan page that just now they're introducing a bill to make Cidery and meadery legal in NJ again. I assumed they had been because how the **** weren't they legal since they're basically the same thing as wine, though I guess legally they aren't. If it becomes legal there's a sweet apple orchard who also makes wine, I bet they'll put out some rad Ciders. And central Jersey has a lot of Apiaries who I'm sure will be all over mead.

Honestly to me I'm glad I turned 21 when I did. It was right on the bubble of the craft explosion. And aside from NJ itself, in a great place with my proximity to NY, PA, MD and DE to a lot of quality breweries. I didn't have to live in a world where I couldn't get Victory, Troegs, Dogfish, Brooklyn, etc. because they weren't distributing yet, and I was just turning 23 or so when the NJ scene started taking off so I really got to enjoy the rise of Carton and Kane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Are we using the phrase "booze enthusiast" in place of alcoholic these days?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Are we using the phrase "booze enthusiast" in place of alcoholic these days?
    Only when you speak easy like us, son.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (05-11-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Speaking of beer, Yeehaw brewery out of Jefferson City, Tennessee has a nice lineup of beers, starting with their Dunkel, which is their flagship beer. Highly recommended if you're down this way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Speaking of beer, Yeehaw brewery out of Jefferson City, Tennessee has a nice lineup of beers, starting with their Dunkel, which is their flagship beer. Highly recommended if you're down this way.
    And my favorite part of the craft beer scene is that it's getting more local. More states are doing what Vermont does, small distribution with limited overhead. Lets you live a happy and comfortable life if your brewery is successful, without the risk of failing because you grew too big. Also lets you enjoy the freshest beer possible. Which with some styles doesn't really matter, but with APAs and IPAs it certainly does.