Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SATURDAY MINORS THREAD 5/13: More Moves Soon

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You are absolutely right in everything except your alarm at his current K rates. Even in his original 250 PAs in AAA last year he didn't have a K problem (15%).

This is the only year in professional baseball that Albies hasn't been a teenager. He has relied on a plus hit tool for all of his past success against inferior competition. He hasn't had to have a plan at the plate yet.

He is finally being challenged in AAA, and now is when he will make his first set of adjustments. Hopefully (probably) those adjustments will include adopting a better approach, which will lead to more walks.

Albies should get 500+ PAs in AAA this year to make those adjustments. If he is still struggling in August we can start to worry a little.
    The only alarm I had was pointing out that Albies has a K rate just as bad as TD right now. I do think Albies will be fine but his start this year is a little disheartening.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The only alarm I had was pointing out that Albies has a K rate just as bad as TD right now. I do think Albies will be fine but his start this year is a little disheartening.
    Look, no sense in arguing with a posi-brave.. just quit now while you have your sanity.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (05-15-2017), CJ9 (05-15-2017), nsacpi (05-15-2017), Tapate50 (05-15-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Turns out posi-Braves are really just fickle-Braves.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    But saying it's 'just as bad as TD' is a little misleading. TD's K rates have been really bad before this year; now it is simply not great. So Albies' K rate is not great, it's not really bad as such a comparison would suggest.

A K rate a little over 20% at age 20 is certainly not something that can't be overcome. There's little reason to take the first month of this season and give that a greater level of relevance than his entire history to this point.

In the same way, we should not look at TD and think he has suddenly solved all his problems. They are both interesting things to note but only that at this point.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    But saying it's 'just as bad as TD' is a little misleading. TD's K rates have been really bad before this year; now it is simply not great. So Albies' K rate is not great, it's not really bad as such a comparison would suggest.

A K rate a little over 20% at age 20 is certainly not something that can't be overcome. There's little reason to take the first month of this season and give that a greater level of relevance than his entire history to this point.

In the same way, we should not look at TD and think he has suddenly solved all his problems. They are both interesting things to note but only that at this point.
    You are right that it has been a career long problem for TD and something that's only come up for Albies. The point is that a K rate like that for Albies is a career killer. He does not have the ability to overcome that.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    yea. but Albies has a track record of hitting and TD has a track record of lots of Ks. Plus albies is coming off an injury

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    You are right that it has been a career long problem for TD and something that's only come up for Albies. The point is that a K rate like that for Albies is a career killer. He does not have the ability to overcome that.
    My point is that it is something that can be lowered for a guy with his talent, and for his age/level, etc., not that he can have a lot of success if he maintains a K rate that high. It's just not something worth even discussing much at this point beyond 'Hmm, that's something to watch.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I'm in no way saying TD is a better prospect than Albies. Its still not close. I'm just the tiniest little bit of concerned for the first time ever in his career thus far. And that TD has impressed me since coming over and that I would trade Albies and Newcomb if we got a significant MLB ready difference maker at a vital position. Is that out there? Who knows? But I'd think about it.