Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Albies age = 20-126d
    Demeritte age = 22-225d

Albies AA/AAA PAs = 766
    Demeritte AA/AAA PAs = 139

Demeritte was still in A ball at the age Albies was getting his first AAA action.

Albies is a far superior prospect to Demeritte, and it isn't even close. Prospect fatigue is setting in with Albies and folks are looking for the new shiny thing.
    The world is crashing down upon us. This post is on point. Wow....I agree with Enscheff...Albies was my #1 even with Dansby around. I won't backtrack now. Albies all day!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Starting to think that the best play might be trading Albies in a package for something of need and Demeritte is the 2B of the future. I'm not quite there yet. But, Albies value to the team is high average, high OBP and good defense. OTOH, Demeritte is showing elite level defense according to some and brings power and some speed. If he can keep the power and hit at least .250 or so, he could be more valuable that Albies overall, even if Albies hits well.
    Goodness.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Albies age = 20-126d
    Demeritte age = 22-225d

Albies AA/AAA PAs = 766
    Demeritte AA/AAA PAs = 139

Demeritte was still in A ball at the age Albies was getting his first AAA action.

Albies is a far superior prospect to Demeritte, and it isn't even close. Prospect fatigue is setting in with Albies and folks are looking for the new shiny thing.
    I wonder what the comparison would look like pre-AAA for Albies. He's the youngest guy in the International League for the second year in a row. I've never understood why the Braves pushed him so aggressively. I agree that Albies is still the better prospect, but signs on Demeritte are positive this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I've never understood why the Braves pushed him so aggressively.
    He did win the AA batting title last year. So it would seem that the Braves made the correct call in having him skip High A.

In general, I don't mind top prospects spending very little time in the lower levels. But I do want them to spend significant time and have a fair amount of success in AA and AAA before promotion to the majors.

I'm happy to see Demeritte doing well. But I wouldn't project him as a regular second baseman on a championship caliber team. Maybe he will surprise me. But I think the odds are against it at this point.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-14-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    TD also lost what half a season to a ped suspension?
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Albies could spend all this season and next season in AAA and debut during his age 22 season. He would still become a young FA at the age of 28 or 29.

Folks are selling short how impressive his age relative to level truly is.

He needs to work on his approach at the plate, and I hope he continues to do so in AAA rather than at the MLB level burning service clock for a terrible team.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (05-15-2017), Tapate50 (05-14-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Until we are at the point that we have five solid starters AND few needs for any position players, we should not be considering trading any prospects. You don't know who disappoints or who surprises. The best evaluator will miss both ways. At the point we feel we are solid, then yes...trade some prospects or players deemed "expendable". Until then....we will be making counter productive moves. Just look at Seattle's hasty decisions with Gohora and Jackson. Sure they might end up flaming out, but it was a short sighted decision to trade both at that age and will most likely come back to haunt them with at least one of the two.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Seymour will be 22 next month. He's barely OPS'd .600 before and wasn't at .700 when he was promoted. He isn't close to Mallex. A 40 hit tool on him is crazy generous right now. I wouldn't give Mallex a 50, either. If he had a 50 hit tool, he'd be a 3+ WAR guy.
    I think you are overrating Mallex a bit. Mallex isn't much better of a prospect than Seymour. Seymour is ouhitting Mallex this year and Seymour is actually younger compared to his league than Mallex is.

I don't see either guy as an MLB regular but both could be useful 4th outfielders. And Seymour is definitely the faster of the two.
    Last edited by Pachoo; 05-14-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't know if this is a wise move or not, but I found this interesting...

Albies career ops = .782
    Demeritte ops = .814
    All the things said about Albies being younger at a higher level are of course accurate and relevant. But, I'm looking at projection. When I look at Albies I see a pretty good bet that he will continue to develop into a good OBP guy with speed who will play good to very good 2B defense and will steal you some bases. Looking at Demeritte, I see a guy who is 2 years older but missed 80 games of one of those years for a PED suspension (which has to be taken into account as well) who has good to very good 2B power both in doubles and homers, with a reasonably good OBP, reportedly 70 defense and who will at least steal a few bases (not nearly as many as Albies). Right now, I still have Albies rated as the better overall eventual ML 2B BUT I am beginning to believe in Demeritte.

Some of that is my belief that positional tradition IS important to a ML club when constructing a line up, so I'm partial to 2B who can provide a higher level of productive offense as opposed to table-setting offense. When I look at the Braves ML team and try to mentally construct future offenses, I already see 2 guys in Inciarte and Swanson who are more of the table setting type of bats. Adding another in Albies will just make it more imperative that the Braves find production at other positions. I'm not saying it can't work. It can. But, it narrows the margin where if you get a .600 OPS out of third base and/or catcher then you are in trouble.

So, I'm thinking a future line-up of Inciarte, Swanson, Acuna, Freeman, Riley, LH hitting OF, Demeritte, catcher might be more valuable to the Braves (considering likely roster construction) as opposed to Inciarte, Albies, Acuna, Freeman, Riley, LH Hitting OF, Swanson, catcher. I'm not there yet since I want to see more of both this season, especially Demeritte to see if he continues to cut his K's, hold his power, hit for enough average and play great defense.

Either way (posi-Brave comment) it's a good situation to have.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    All the things said about Albies being younger at a higher level are of course accurate and relevant. But, I'm looking at projection. When I look at Albies I see a pretty good bet that he will continue to develop into a good OBP guy with speed who will play good to very good 2B defense and will steal you some bases. Looking at Demeritte, I see a guy who is 2 years older but missed 80 games of one of those years for a PED suspension (which has to be taken into account as well) who has good to very good 2B power both in doubles and homers, with a reasonably good OBP, reportedly 70 defense and who will at least steal a few bases (not nearly as many as Albies). Right now, I still have Albies rated as the better overall eventual ML 2B BUT I am beginning to believe in Demeritte.

Some of that is my belief that positional tradition IS important to a ML club when constructing a line up, so I'm partial to 2B who can provide a higher level of productive offense as opposed to table-setting offense. When I look at the Braves ML team and try to mentally construct future offenses, I already see 2 guys in Inciarte and Swanson who are more of the table setting type of bats. Adding another in Albies will just make it more imperative that the Braves find production at other positions. I'm not saying it can't work. It can. But, it narrows the margin where if you get a .600 OPS out of third base and/or catcher then you are in trouble.

So, I'm thinking a future line-up of Inciarte, Swanson, Acuna, Freeman, Riley, LH hitting OF, Demeritte, catcher might be more valuable to the Braves (considering likely roster construction) as opposed to Inciarte, Albies, Acuna, Freeman, Riley, LH Hitting OF, Swanson, catcher. I'm not there yet since I want to see more of both this season, especially Demeritte to see if he continues to cut his K's, hold his power, hit for enough average and play great defense.

Either way (posi-Brave comment) it's a good situation to have.
    I think the worst case on Albies is that he's essentially just Peraza again.

The worst case, and possibly the most likely case, for TD is that he is not a viable major league player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachoo View Post
    I think you are overrating Mallex a bit. Mallex isn't much better of a prospect than Seymour. Seymour is ouhitting Mallex this year and Seymour is actually younger compared to his league than Mallex is.

I don't see either guy as an MLB regular but both could be useful 4th outfielders. And Seymour is definitely the faster of the two.
    I said I definitely wouldn't hand Mallex a 50 hit tool. That is overrating him.

I agree with you that I don't see either as an MLB regular. But Mallex OPS'd over .800 as a 21-year-old across A and A+. Seymour OPS'd under .600 as a 21-year-old in A ball. Equating the two, at this point, is quite a disservice to Mallex, regardless of his talent level. He's clearly been way better than Seymour.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    He did win the AA batting title last year. So it would seem that the Braves made the correct call in having him skip High A.

In general, I don't mind top prospects spending very little time in the lower levels. But I do want them to spend significant time and have a fair amount of success in AA and AAA before promotion to the majors.

I'm happy to see Demeritte doing well. But I wouldn't project him as a regular second baseman on a championship caliber team. Maybe he will surprise me. But I think the odds are against it at this point.
    I was referring more to the decision to kick him up to AAA last season only to send him back down to Mississippi.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    There is a legit argument to trade albies bc he's more valuable at ss. That said we'd have to get back a controllable stud and I don't see where that trade is. Td still has a very high k rate. I see him more as a super sub.

I get that a 70 defender at second with legit power is fun to dream on. I think albies is a stud hitter and will be close to td at second.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I would jump all over an Albies and Newcomb package if it brought us back a real need
    Trout?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    There is a legit argument to trade albies bc he's more valuable at ss. That said we'd have to get back a controllable stud and I don't see where that trade is. Td still has a very high k rate. I see him more as a super sub.

I get that a 70 defender at second with legit power is fun to dream on. I think albies is a stud hitter and will be close to td at second.
    Ozzie is striking out at the same rate right now in AAA. The difference is Ozzie can't strike out at that rate and be a good hitter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Ozzie is striking out at the same rate right now in AAA. The difference is Ozzie can't strike out at that rate and be a good hitter.
    The difference is that Albies is 20 years old.

Do you know what TD was doing when he was 20? He was striking out 35% of the time in A ball.

Folks have been following Albies so long they have started to lose perspective. Prospect fatigue is definitely setting in here.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts

Do you know what TD was doing when he was 20? He was striking out 35% of the time in A ball.

Folks have been following Albies so long they have started to lose perspective. Prospect fatigue is definitely setting in here.
    look man.. there is no room in our posi brave circle for you.. you need to turn around and go back to your side of the fence.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    look man.. there is no room in our posi brave circle for you.. you need to turn around and go back to your side of the fence.
    Trust me, I'm just as baffled by all this as you are.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts

I'm aware Albies age. I am not seriously suggesting TD being above him by any means. But Albies is the type of player that will need to strike out in the mid teens to be a successful hitter imo. I don't think he's going to walk enough or have enough power to be able to overcome a 20%+ K rate.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I'm aware Albies age. I am not seriously suggesting TD being above him by any means. But Albies is the type of player that will need to strike out in the mid teens to be a successful hitter imo. I don't think he's going to walk enough or have enough power to be able to overcome a 20%+ K rate.
    You are absolutely right in everything except your alarm at his current K rates. Even in his original 250 PAs in AAA last year he didn't have a K problem (15%).

This is the only year in professional baseball that Albies hasn't been a teenager. He has relied on a plus hit tool for all of his past success against inferior competition. He hasn't had to have a plan at the plate yet.

He is finally being challenged in AAA, and now is when he will make his first set of adjustments. Hopefully (probably) those adjustments will include adopting a better approach, which will lead to more walks.

Albies should get 500+ PAs in AAA this year to make those adjustments. If he is still struggling in August we can start to worry a little.