Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: SUNDAY MINORS FINAL 5/14 ... 3 superlative starts

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I can't speak for other here and I will trust the evaluators, but I'd rather watch Sims give up a 900-foot home run in his first big league start than ever see Colon start another game in a Braves' uniform.
    I agree, but unless Colon keeps giving up 6-8 runs a game (which is possible), they will hang on to him until around the deadline. The same for Dickey and Garcia unless they get a very good offer (which won't happen the way they are pitching).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I can't speak for other here and I will trust the evaluators, but I'd rather watch Sims give up a 900-foot home run in his first big league start than ever see Colon start another game in a Braves' uniform.
    Have a hard time arguing against that. Other than geez... what a waste of money. Someone take him and his salary for a bag of balls please (altho he will turn into a CY candidate after the trade I'm sure)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Have a hard time arguing against that. Other than geez... what a waste of money. Someone take him and his salary for a bag of balls please (altho he will turn into a CY candidate after the trade I'm sure)
    It would be a true waist of money.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (05-14-2017)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    For the money....ha. Since ever..

Really though, I've been high on more flops than I care to count because I listened to others before I got to watch the kids. When I saw him in Orlando and then in Rome I couldn't stop wondering about the guy. Everything he did was...just better. He's in my top two over the last five years for sure. Ozzie was/is a different prospect. ...I still love the way he barrels a ball when he's hitting well. Acuna is...very good.
    I caught him in the last series with Rome in Augusta last year. Don't really know how to explain it. He just looked better than everyone else. My wife noticed it too. Had 2 hits, stole second, just made everything look easy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think Jackson will get respect quick. He is not far removed from being called the best prep bat in a few years and he's hitting with a tremendous amount of power at an age appropriate level. If he does this for a whole season he's not just top 100...he'll be top 50.
    LOL

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Acuna ends 4 for 5.... just disgusting how good he's started at AA
    He made an out? Promoting him was a mistake.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-15-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachoo View Post
    It would be a huge boon to our system if Sims has truly turned it around and becomes a viable #2 or #3 starter in the majors after having been relegated to almost non-prospect status this winter.
    He definitely should be getting a look this summer. Nothing in the current rotation should be blocking him.

I think Sims is a BP piece, but this is the season to find out. Same with Newcomb.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-14-2017)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Easy athleticism that's how. Watching him is fun because he's a "glider" sometimes. Remember Andruw...would make it look so easy it became a loafing type thing. (Of course he was benched once for easy loafing...ha). Acuna is unique. Great wrist strength just because. Right/Right Center he shows uncanny gap power.
    Clemente and Aaron weren't "physically impressive" by the standards of those who go by what meets the eye. They were great athletes, and highly skilled. Both of them had great wrist strength. (Edited to note that I had posted this before reading Rico's post in this thread..basically I unknowingly echoed his basic comment, along with tossing in Clemente's name).
    Last edited by jimsnores; 05-14-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Wentz...
    34.0 ip 7 bb 37 k

Why doesn't he get talked about more? What's his velocity?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    He definitely should be getting a look this summer. Nothing in the current rotation should be blocking him.

I think Sims is a BP piece, but this is the season to find out. Same with Newcomb.
    There are some things about Sims' game that make me wonder about his ceiling (throws a lot of pitches and he's a flyball guy in a park that doesn't seem to be friendly to that profile), but he should get an extended look after the trade deadline.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Braves Double A manager on Acuna:

"Acuna made our lineup and team better from the second he joined us," Salazar said. "You hardly ever see that young of a player with that much potential. He's got it all -- he can run, he can hit and he can throw. It's only been a few games, but I don't think I've seen many players with that amount of talent."

On Tuesday, the Braves promoted Acuna from Class A Advanced Florida, where he posted an .814 OPS with three homers and 19 RBIs in 28 games. In six games with Mississippi, the 19-year-old Venezuelan boasts a .560/.593/.920 slash line, two homers and 10 RBIs.

"This kid is going to be special," Salazar added. "They've thrown him some tough pitches and he's been able to lay off. He's made some real quick adjustments against some really good pitchers. His approach is unbelievable. He's got a good eye and can hit it to every part of the field, it doesn't matter. He's going to be a star in the future."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Wentz...
    34.0 ip 7 bb 37 k

Why doesn't he get talked about more? What's his velocity?
    Baseball America had someone at his last outing and he was 89-91.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsnores View Post
    Clemente and Aaron weren't "physically impressive" by the standards of those who go by what meets the eye. They were great athletes, and highly skilled. Both of them had great wrist strength. (Edited to note that I had posted this before reading Rico's post in this thread..basically I unknowingly echoed his basic comment, along with tossing in Clemente's name).
    Good to see how his manager echoed what I said about him last year. I try not to be overly positive or negative...but he's incredible...I'm just glad he is doing what many who have seen him days he can do

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Assuming Acuna continues to kill the ball for the remainder of the year...how do you justify him not starting with next year's team? I get that it's not ideal at all from a service clock perspective but what he's doing at such a young age is scary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I'm trying hard to not jump-the-gun. I love Acuna and he's been high on my radar within the prospect range, but it's only been a week -- and he's young. If he does anything close to this for several more weeks, then we are talking. He has been awesome, though!

I'm equally as impressed with Allard. Dude is killing it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachoo View Post
    It would be a huge boon to our system if Sims has truly turned it around and becomes a viable #2 or #3 starter in the majors after having been relegated to almost non-prospect status this winter.
    Your reminder that Sims came into 2016 with 47 AA IP. In 91 AA IP in 2016, he had an ERA of 2.67, 10k/9, and batters hit .197.

He was relegated to "non-prospect status" based on his first 50 AAA IP at Age 22, where he still had 10k/9. Difference was his walks spiked slightly and AAA hitters were hitting him at .277 rate. Supposedly, his mechanics got out of whack and he lost confidence.

The lack of patience and quickness to write off prospects is a little peculiar. He may or not ever be worth much at the MLB level, but he certainly didn't become a non-prospect because he struggled in his first taste of AAA.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-15-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Assuming Acuna continues to kill the ball for the remainder of the year...how do you justify him not starting with next year's team? I get that it's not ideal at all from a service clock perspective but what he's doing at such a young age is scary.
    Because he will be very young with no AAA at bats and the Braves will most likely have three entrenched OF starters? And the Braves aren't likely to contend in 2018 and there isn't much reason to start his clock?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-15-2017), CJ9 (05-15-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Southcack makes great points in his two posts above.

(1) Sims has had some adjustment issues with each promotion, but once he finds himself, things go well. I thought the Braves rushed him in 2016. I don't mind being aggressive with guys, but if you have to drop them back a level mid-season, what have you really accomplished? Sims should have started 2016 in AA instead of AAA.

(2) As long as Kemp and Markakis are in the Braves' OF, Acuna will be in the minors. Those guys could be moved, of course, but it would likely require the Braves sending a check along with them to the team that acquires them. I'm not advocating one way or the other on those two, but there's no way Acuna comes to the big leagues to be a 4th OF.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Pretty sure if Acuna keeps this up he'll be in AAA by mid July.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Southcack makes great points in his two posts above.

(1) Sims has had some adjustment issues with each promotion, but once he finds himself, things go well. I thought the Braves rushed him in 2016. I don't mind being aggressive with guys, but if you have to drop them back a level mid-season, what have you really accomplished? Sims should have started 2016 in AA instead of AAA.

(2) As long as Kemp and Markakis are in the Braves' OF, Acuna will be in the minors. Those guys could be moved, of course, but it would likely require the Braves sending a check along with them to the team that acquires them. I'm not advocating one way or the other on those two, but there's no way Acuna comes to the big leagues to be a 4th OF.
    If acuna can play cf, any chance we move inciarte instead?