Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prado Trade Idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

Prado Trade Idea

I realize he is on the DL right now. But once he comes off it. Adonis Garcia for Prado. Straight up with no money involved. Two questions:

1) would the fish do it

2) should the braves do it

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I realize he is on the DL right now. But once he comes off it. Adonis Garcia for Prado. Straight up with no money involved. Two questions:

1) would the fish do it

2) should the braves do it
    For me, it's a question of money. The Marlins save it, Braves spend it.

Prado's best years are long behind him but he might still be worth his contract through 2019. We know Garcia isn't the answer. So, to me, it's more about the question between Pardo and his cost versus what the Braves have internally (Ruiz, Franco, Riley, maybe even Demeritte) versus potential FA acquisition (Moustakas) versus potential trade acquisition.

If I thought he was the last piece of the puzzle then I would say yes. However, right now, for me it's no.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-15-2017), rico43 (05-14-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

1) would the fish do it
    They just extended him for three years and he wasn't playing awful when he went on the DL, why would the Fish give him up for nothing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    They just extended him for three years and he wasn't playing awful when he went on the DL, why would the Fish give him up for nothing?
    in reading about the potential sale and finances of the team, it seems likely they will trim payroll

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    in reading about the potential sale and finances of the team, it seems likely they will trim payroll
    Ahh, gotcha. If they are in dump mode I would definitely take him, it's not like their are many good realistic options from now through 2019 unless we are trying to to a big money short term (3-4 year) type deal with Donaldson after 2018.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Hell, even I would trade Adonis for Prado. I'd probably spiral into a deep depression and kill myself using a combination of barbed wire, duct tape, whiteout, a box of Froot Loops, a silver thimble packed with dirt from my homeland, a bone toothpick, three socks, and an apple. But I'd do it.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (05-14-2017), JohnAdcox (05-15-2017), Julio3000 (05-15-2017), mossy (05-15-2017), Tapate50 (05-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Hell, even I would trade Adonis for Prado. I'd probably spiral into a deep depression and kill myself using a combination of barbed wire, duct tape, whiteout, a box of Froot Loops, a silver thimble packed with dirt from my homeland, a bone toothpick, three socks, and an apple. But I'd do it.
    Why 'three' socks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Why 'three' socks?
    One for my left hand, one to be cut in half and wrapped around my big toes, and one for my dick.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

auyushu (05-14-2017), DaneHill (05-15-2017), GovClintonTyree (05-14-2017), Julio3000 (05-15-2017), Tapate50 (05-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Prado's contract calls for him to make 13.5M in 2018 and 15M in 2019. I'm guessing Moustakas will get a similar AAV over 4 or 5 years this off-season. So the question between those two is whether we want Moose over his age 29-33 seasons or Prado for two years over his age 34-35 season.

Solarte is another third baseman of similar value. His contract is more favorable. His is scheduled to make 4M in 2018 and has options for 5.5M in 2019 and 8M in 2020 (his age 30-32 seasons). I think there is significant surplus value there. He would probably cost us a prospect of the caliber of Sims, Weigel or Fried.

Looking at those three options I prefer Prado over Moose because of the risk associated with a longer deal (even taking into account that Prado is older). I prefer Prado over Solarte because of the likely cost in prospects for Solarte.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (05-14-2017), JohnAdcox (05-15-2017)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    One for my left hand, one to be cut in half and wrapped around my big toes, and one for my dick.
    Post of the year, right there.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (05-15-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    No chance that they take that IMO.

I think the idea of trying to pry him away fairly cheaply to help them dump salary makes some sense (on the surface, at least), but they surely aren't crazy enough to give him up for "nothing". I can't imagine that they'd give him up for something other than younger guys/prospects - even if they're not highly thought of - have to at least have the possibility of contributing at some point.

Try this offer...

Albies, Wisler, Ruiz, and Bartolo for Prado and Dee Gordon.

Gordon replaces Albies long-term, and getting Bartolo off the books this year pays for one of the guys we add. More or less breaks down to Wisler and Ruiz for Prado, Albies for Gordon, and the Fish take Big Sexy's money to make it work for us financially - PLUS we get the benefit of plugging Newcomb/Sims into the rotation for the rest of the season to get their feet wet. We could even include Dat Dude if they want to hold off on Albies until next spring.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-15-2017 at 09:23 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    That deal would be a coup for Miami. I wouldn't even do Albies for Gordon straight up.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-15-2017), JohnAdcox (05-15-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    That deal would be a coup for Miami.
    Have to be a much bigger believer in Ruiz and Wisler than most people around here if it is.

That would still be getting Prado for next to nothing (as far as we're concerned) if you left the Gordon part off - which I could certainly live with.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    That deal would be a coup for Miami. I wouldn't even do Albies for Gordon straight up.
    Yeah. The idea of including Albies in this deal is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. I'm not interested in trading for veterans at a position where we have one of our best prospects.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-15-2017), JohnAdcox (05-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Have to be a much bigger believer in Ruiz and Wisler than most people around here if it is.

That would still be getting Prado for next to nothing (as far as we're concerned) if you left the Gordon part off - which I could certainly live with.
    The Gordon-Albies part makes no sense.

But I would be ok with Ruiz or Wisler for Prado. First though, I would see if they take Adonis Garcia for Prado. I think they might.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    No chance that they take that IMO.

I think the idea of trying to pry him away fairly cheaply to help them dump salary makes some sense (on the surface, at least), but they surely aren't crazy enough to give him up for "nothing". I can't imagine that they'd give him up for something other than younger guys/prospects - even if they're not highly thought of - have to at least have the possibility of contributing at some point.

Try this offer...

Albies, Wisler, Ruiz, and Bartolo for Prado and Dee Gordon.

Gordon replaces Albies long-term, and getting Bartolo off the books this year pays for one of the guys we add. More or less breaks down to Wisler and Ruiz for Prado, Albies for Gordon, and the Fish take Big Sexy's money to make it work for us financially - PLUS we get the benefit of plugging Newcomb/Sims into the rotation for the rest of the season to get their feet wet. We could even include Dat Dude if they want to hold off on Albies until next spring.

you are trading a top 20 prospect for Dee Gordon and Pardo.. plus dumping Colon. no thanks Dave Stewart..

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    you are trading a top 20 prospect for Dee Gordon and Pardo.. plus dumping Colon. no thanks Dave Stewart..
    A Top 20 prospect who we hope turns into a slightly above average regular at the MLB level. I love Albies, but let's don't overrate what he is just because he's high on some of the lists. Acuna is a far better prospect regardless of ranking.

For those getting a little ahead of themselves with Ozzie, realize that Gordon is probably a great comp - all speed no power, and not seriously likely to develop any either.

Gordon (MiLB career) - 2086 ABs, .301/.359/.387/.745, 75 2Bs, 42 3Bs, 7 HRs, 172/328 BB/K Ratio, 230/297 SBs

Albies (MiLB Career) - 1286 ABs, .304/.368/.414/.782, 70 2Bs, 24 3Bs, 8 HRs, 124/209 BB/K Ratio, 92/119 SBs

Hoping for Albies to be far superior than Gordon isn't that great an idea IMO. That doesn't mean he'll be a flop by any means, but they're likely to end up being pretty similar players in the end. The "bonus" (if there is one) with Gordon is that he comes with cost-certainty through 2021, and is under control for almost the same amount of time as Ozzie.

Like everyone else, I'm in no hurry to trade Albies, but let's don't act like he's going to be a superstar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Did Dee Gordon ever face a pitcher younger than him? Because Ozzie hasn't.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    A Top 20 prospect who we hope turns into a slightly above average regular at the MLB level. I love Albies, but let's don't overrate what he is just because he's high on some of the lists. Acuna is a far better prospect regardless of ranking.

For those getting a little ahead of themselves with Ozzie, realize that Gordon is probably a great comp - all speed no power, and not seriously likely to develop any either.

Gordon (MiLB career) - 2086 ABs, .301/.359/.387/.745, 75 2Bs, 42 3Bs, 7 HRs, 172/328 BB/K Ratio, 230/297 SBs

Albies (MiLB Career) - 1286 ABs, .304/.368/.414/.782, 70 2Bs, 24 3Bs, 8 HRs, 124/209 BB/K Ratio, 92/119 SBs

Hoping for Albies to be far superior than Gordon isn't that great an idea IMO. That doesn't mean he'll be a flop by any means, but they're likely to end up being pretty similar players in the end. The "bonus" (if there is one) with Gordon is that he comes with cost-certainty through 2021, and is under control for almost the same amount of time as Ozzie.

Like everyone else, I'm in no hurry to trade Albies, but let's don't act like he's going to be a superstar.
    You could well be right about the kind of player Albies will turn out to be. But he is far more valuable than Gordon because of the salary difference. Gordon is scheduled to make 10.5, 13 and 13.5M over the next three years, with an option for 14M in 2021. Albies will be making major league minimum his first three years in the majors. That's a yuge difference. Yuge.