Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prado Trade Idea

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You could well be right about the kind of player Albies will turn out to be. But he is far more valuable than Gordon because of the salary difference. Gordon is scheduled to make 10.5, 13 and 13.5M over the next three years, with an option for 14M in 2021. Albies will be making major league minimum his first three years in the majors. That's a yuge difference. Yuge.
    Plus Gordon is going to obviously be in decline much sooner.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (05-15-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    You could well be right about the kind of player Albies will turn out to be. But he is far more valuable than Gordon because of the salary difference. Gordon is scheduled to make 10.5, 13 and 13.5M over the next three years, with an option for 14M in 2021. Albies will be making major league minimum his first three years in the majors. That's a yuge difference. Yuge.
    Dee also has one strike against him with PED.. and is 29..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (05-15-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Trade Albies?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-15-2017), Garmel (05-15-2017), nsacpi (05-15-2017), Tapate50 (05-15-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Not arguing any of that at all. Mainly just making the point that I think more than a few folks tend to overrate Ozzie because of his placement on the lists. As I said, I'm in absolutely no hurry to trade him at all - just make sure to be realistic when considering who he's likely to turn out to be.

Given the explosion in salaries, Gordon's contract doesn't appear to be a terrible overpay for a leadoff hitter with speed who's also a good defender in the middle of the diamond, and I would think Albies' salaries could be approaching those levels by his 4th or 5th season assuming he's as successful.

Back to the point of the thread, I don't think that there's any chance they'd take as little as Adonis to move Prado's money, but I wouldn't hesitate to give them Wisler and/or Ruiz if they were interested.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-15-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not arguing any of that at all. Mainly just making the point that I think more than a few folks tend to overrate Ozzie because of his placement on the lists. As I said, I'm in absolutely no hurry to trade him at all - just make sure to be realistic when considering who he's likely to turn out to be.

Given the explosion in salaries, Gordon's contract doesn't appear to be a terrible overpay for a leadoff hitter with speed who's also a good defender in the middle of the diamond, and I would think Albies' salaries could be approaching those levels by his 4th or 5th season assuming he's as successful.
    players get paid below market in their arb years...gordons contract is ok assuming little or no decline...chances are there will be some decline

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Gordon had a 305 OBP last year and a 303 OBP this year. I'd rather not pay that guy 11 million a year plus give up our top prospect.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Gordon had a 305 OBP last year and a 303 OBP this year. I'd rather not pay that guy 11 million a year plus give up our top prospect.
    And Albies has posted .307 and .289 OBPs against AAA pitching.

Again, just be realistic about what our "top prospect" is.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts

So you want to give him away? Because that's essentially what you are doing. The braves traded a nobody and got most of Phillips salary paid and he is very similar to Gordon as an overall player. Much better options out there then doing what you are suggesting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts

Albies is not even 21. A bit of a difference there.

Albies also projects for more power and a higher OBP. No one in their right mind is trading Albies for Gordon, regardless of money.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (05-15-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    So you want to give him away? Because that's essentially what you are doing. The braves traded a nobody and got most of Phillips salary paid and he is very similar to Gordon as an overall player. Much better options out there then doing what you are suggesting.
    How many times do I have to say "I'm in no hurry to trade him whatsoever" before you effing people read that???

Assuming anyone can, re-read post #24.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-15-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    How many times do I have to say "I'm in no hurry to trade him whatsoever" before you effing people read that???
    you did propose essentially trading him for gordon...and getting some feedback on the idea

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    you did propose essentially trading him for gordon...and getting some feedback on the idea
    And no one's ever been misunderstood here before, right???

The point is that if any of you expect Albies to become a Top 5 MLB second baseman, you're going to be TERRIBLY disappointed.

You originally proposed Garcia for Prado - what's the difference??? To a man, everyone here thinks Garcia has no place on a MLB roster - no power, can't defend, already in his 30s - much less as a starter. Accepting him for Prado is essentially giving him away for a bag of batting practice balls. If Miami DOES try to move him just to move his money, they'll do far better than that.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-15-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts

Assuming anyone can, re-read post #24.
    easy ClvClv.. no one is attacking you.. you presented a trade idea and we have said no and here is why type answers. I don't think anyone has misrepresented your stance. and surely not attacked you. no need to get all uppity on us.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    No chance that they take that IMO.

I think the idea of trying to pry him away fairly cheaply to help them dump salary makes some sense (on the surface, at least), but they surely aren't crazy enough to give him up for "nothing". I can't imagine that they'd give him up for something other than younger guys/prospects - even if they're not highly thought of - have to at least have the possibility of contributing at some point.

Try this offer...

Albies, Wisler, Ruiz, and Bartolo for Prado and Dee Gordon.

Gordon replaces Albies long-term, and getting Bartolo off the books this year pays for one of the guys we add. More or less breaks down to Wisler and Ruiz for Prado, Albies for Gordon, and the Fish take Big Sexy's money to make it work for us financially - PLUS we get the benefit of plugging Newcomb/Sims into the rotation for the rest of the season to get their feet wet. We could even include Dat Dude if they want to hold off on Albies until next spring.
    I'm not moving Albies unless it's for a stud.

No thank you for that one. I'd do Wisler potentially if they'd eat some money. I like Prado but I don't love that deal. I think if he's willing to play 3B, 2B and Of that might make sense if Rodriquez is hurt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    And no one's ever been misunderstood here before, right???

The point is that if any of you expect Albies to become a Top 5 MLB second baseman, you're going to be TERRIBLY disappointed.
    that point I agree with...he has a chance to be that type of player but the odds are against it

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts

Our top prospect has accumulated 400 PAs in AAA at the ripe old age of 20.

What world have I stumbled into this morning? Where are the posi-Braves? Have they been replaced by derp-Braves?

Oh wait, I just replied to a clv post...it all makes sense now.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Our top prospect has accumulated 400 PAs in AAA at the ripe old age of 20.

What world have I stumbled into this morning? Where are the posi-Braves? Have they been replaced by derp-Braves?

Oh wait, I just replied to a clv post...it all makes sense now.

you have had a posi slant of late too.. something is very strange around here..

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    easy ClvClv.. no one is attacking you.. you presented a trade idea and we have said no and here is why type answers. I don't think anyone has misrepresented your stance. and surely not attacked you. no need to get all uppity on us.
    Then go re-read post #24 where I already agreed with EVERY point anyone's made about Gordon.

Apparently I'm trying to "give him away" no matter how many times I say I'm in no hurry to trade him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    you have had a posi slant of late too.. something is very strange around here..
    It's very odd. Folks claiming TD showing signs of improvement make Albies expendable. Folks suggesting the Braves should trade Inciarte and roll with an OF of Kemp/Acuna/Markakis next year.

It's like the posi-Braves have traded in their over the top optimism for equally over the top moron-ism.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    You originally proposed Garcia for Prado - what's the difference??? To a man, everyone here thinks Garcia has no place on a MLB roster - no power, can't defend, already in his 30s - much less as a starter. Accepting him for Prado is essentially giving him away for a bag of batting practice balls. If Miami DOES try to move him just to move his money, they'll do far better than that.
    Prado isn't going to return much if the team who acquires him pays all of his salary. He's making 13.5 million next year and 15 million the following year at ages 34 and 35. That makes him someone the Braves should target. Giving up valuable assets (top minor leaguers) is not something the Braves should be doing unless it brings back a quality long term solution.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (05-15-2017)