Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Kemp and the Quest for 1 bWAR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    I'd much rather have Kemp than Mallex. Mallex isn't a bad player, but 3 lefty OFs with no power is not good. We tried the all slap-hitters lineup a few years ago and it didn't work out so well. Kemp is sucking at the plate right now, but he's still got HR pop. We just need to stick him on the DL and let him heal.
    If the choice is between 3 solid lefties and diversifying with a righty who can barely move, the choice to me is obvious.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-08-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Kemp's BWar is now -0.6

Wow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Kemp's BWar is now -0.6

Wow
    When he injured his hamstring it was 0.5 or 0.4. Playing him through this was incredibly dumb and a -1.1 or -1.0 bWAR is the proof. Great job, FO/snit... we'll never get rid of him now

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    I just don't get it. If you had placed Kemp on the DL on Monday after the Oakland series, he'd be fresh and ready for Arizona right after the break. He is hurting the team more than helping, and the team is only 1-3 in those games since the Oakland series.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    When he injured his hamstring it was 0.5 or 0.4. Playing him through this was incredibly dumb and a -1.1 or -1.0 bWAR is the proof. Great job, FO/snit... we'll never get rid of him now
    Properly managing his innings in LF would have possibly prevented these injuries.

Everyone knows Kemp has injury issues. Limiting his work in LF should have been a top priority from opening day.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-08-2017), Preacher (07-10-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,326 Posts
    Markakis has a -0.1 bWAR as well. Hard to win with crappy corner outfielders.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-08-2017)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I wanted to believe Kemp could do it.......
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I wanted to believe Kemp could do it.......
    Kemp is taking a trip back to Oklahoma this week to rekindle his childhood love of the braves. Kemp gonna make a run at 1.0.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-10-2017), Julio3000 (07-10-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Markakis has a -0.1 bWAR as well. Hard to win with crappy corner outfielders.
    I had them projected as the worst corner outfield duo in baseball. Not sure if anyone else is worse but my god is that horrible.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-10-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I had them projected as the worst corner outfield duo in baseball. Not sure if anyone else is worse but my god is that horrible.
    we can live with one of them if the other corner outfielder has good range...shift ender over as necessary...but two is a problem

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    we can live with one of them if the other corner outfielder has good range...shift ender over as necessary...but two is a problem
    Agreed. It's really been an issue lately. Fangraphs has the Braves at 26th in RF WAR and 29th in LF WAR. Truly horrible.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,865 Posts
    So here we are at the all-star break and Matt Kemp has a WRC+ of 113. From 2013-2016 Kemp had a WRC+ of 117. When are some people going to realize that is just the type of hitter he is now and that he's a poor player overall?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    So here we are at the all-star break and Matt Kemp has a WRC+ of 113. From 2013-2016 Kemp had a WRC+ of 117. When are some people going to realize that is just the type of hitter he is now and that he's a poor player overall?
    Never. Pozzies and Derpies will cling to his next hot streak as proof he is turning it around. They will point to his next running catch in LF as evidence he isn't such a terrible defender.

The real issue is why was the FO so blind in the first place? I expect fans to be ignorant, but I would prefer the FO to be somewhat smarter than the average fan commenting on the Braves Facebook posts.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Never. Pozzies and Derpies will cling to his next hot streak as proof he is turning it around. They will point to his next running catch in LF as evidence he isn't such a terrible defender.

The real issue is why was the FO so blind in the first place? I expect fans to be ignorant, but I would prefer the FO to be somewhat smarter than the average fan commenting on the Braves Facebook posts.
    You've answered that question before in the past. They were looking for a someone they could put in the middle of the order with a recognizable name and some power.

He's been better than he was in San Diego, but it looks like nagging injuries are permanent and will continue to sap him of his usefulness.

I think the front office felt that they were acquiring something for the fans at no cost but money. What I want to know is whether Coppy believed the absurd framing they sold fans on -- that he was really cheap because Oliveira's money was a sunk cost.

I go back and forth as to whether I hate this trade or the trade to acquire Oliveira more. I don't have any issue with Kemp's effect on any of the Braves teams to date (I think he's helped a little regardless of what defense influenced WAR suggests), but the fact he has two years remaining on his deal is painful.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Well there is a 141 season in your sample that throws things off a bit. Maybe he continues to regress, but he's been better than he was in San Diego thus far.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Well there is a 141 season in your sample that throws things off a bit. Maybe he continues to regress, but he's been better than he was in San Diego thus far.
    We will see how it shakes out the rest of the year but I just think Kemp is merely an above average to good hitter these days and that with his defense makes him a poor player overall.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    You've answered that question before in the past. They were looking for a someone they could put in the middle of the order with a recognizable name and some power.

He's been better than he was in San Diego, but it looks like nagging injuries are permanent and will continue to sap him of his usefulness.

I think the front office felt that they were acquiring something for the fans at no cost but money. What I want to know is whether Coppy believed the absurd framing they sold fans on -- that he was really cheap because Oliveira's money was a sunk cost.

I go back and forth as to whether I hate this trade or the trade to acquire Oliveira more. I don't have any issue with Kemp's effect on any of the Braves teams to date (I think he's helped a little regardless of what defense influenced WAR suggests), but the fact he has two years remaining on his deal is painful.
    I truly believe the Braves FO thinks Kemp and Markakis are positive members of the roster. They are among the least analytical teams in the modern game, and I am confident they don't value defense properly. There is probably some young kid in the analytics department who is being ignored by the good ol' boys club when he points out the same issues we talk about here daily.

If this wasn't the case, Kemp wouldn't play every inning in LF. If they understood defensive value, Simmons would still be on this team. Freeman would not be playing 3B even temporarily since they would realize no other MLB team would be fooled into thinking Freeman was a real option at 3B as leverage to increase Adams' trade value. If they understood the value of defense, the HO trade would have never happened because they would have scouted his recent work at 3B if they saw defense as a priority.

Kemp in LF can work in 2018, but they need to limit his innings in LF aggressively. They can EASILY reduce the number of innings he runs around out there by 10%-20% at a cost of ~5% fewer PAs just by pinch running for him or putting in a defensive substitution in LF after his 4th AB of most games. They need to be proactive and do this from day 1 to keep his legs healthy rather than wait for the nagging injuries to force him to take time off.

The fact they have failed to do this should be alarming to Braves fans. It shows a complete and utter lack of player valuation skill by this FO.

Call me negi all you want, but I see no way the FO can be defended in its utilization of Matt Kemp.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-10-2017 at 04:33 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I truly believe the Braves FO thinks Kemp and Markakis are positive members of the roster. They are among the least analytical teams in the modern game, and I am confident they don't value defense properly. There is probably some young kid in the analytics department who is being ignored by the good ol' boys club when he points out the same issues we talk about here daily.

If this wasn't the case, Kemp wouldn't play every inning in LF. If they understood defensive value, Simmons would still be on this team. Freeman would not be playing 3B even temporarily since they would realize no other MLB team would be fooled into thinking Freeman was a real option at 3B as leverage to increase Adams' trade value. If they understood the value of defense, the HO trade would have never happened because they would have scouted his recent work at 3B if they saw defense as a priority.

Kemp in LF can work in 2018, but they need to limit his innings in LF aggressively. They can EASILY reduce the number of innings he runs around out there by 10%-20% at a cost of ~5% fewer PAs just by pinch running for him or putting in a defensive substitution in LF after his 4th AB of most games. They need to be proactive and do this from day 1 to keep his legs healthy rather than wait for the nagging injuries to force him to take time off.

The fact they have failed to do this should be alarming to Braves fans. It shows a complete and utter lack of player valuation skill by this FO.

Call me negi all you want, but I see no way the FO can be defended in its utilization of Matt Kemp.
    negi

"I am your retribution."

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (07-10-2017), jpx7 (07-10-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    So....if they were to eat half of his remaining contract, could they trade him to the AL for a decent prospect. Better do it now before he stays hurt , because the more he stays hurt....the fatter he becomes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    So....if they were to eat half of his remaining contract, could they trade him to the AL for a decent prospect. Better do it now before he stays hurt , because the more he stays hurt....the fatter he becomes.
    Colon has offered to do this

"I am your retribution."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2017)