Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: MINORS THREAD TUESDAY 5/16: Harrington Seeks 5th Win

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    there are a lot of crafty veteran pitchers in AAA who know how to exploit a hitter's weaknesses...Albies is working through that...i believe the experience would have been good for Swanson
    Agreed.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Agreed.
    me too, but I am not personally seeing anything negative about him learning at the highest level either. The biggest argument is the clock and once they lock him up to a multi year contract at a team friendly rate, that will be gone too. The FO had their reason to call him up. regardless of what internet GM's say, they measured the pros and cons carefully and made a decision based on that. They are not stupid because of it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    So if Swanson finishes with a .285/.320/.390 line, would you say he was ready or are we going to continue to base this on his April start?
    Folks focusing on Swanson "not being ready" are missing the point with respect to calling him up being a bad idea. Whether or not he was "ready" has nothing to do with it being the wrong decision. Frankly, there doesn't need to be any reason other than the fact it was stupid to call up a potential franchise cornerstone to a non-contending team and losing control over his age 29 season. Hopefully we don't see them make the same mistake with Albies...and then Acuna.

And don't look now, but over the last 2 weeks Swanson's line has been .294/.405/.412 (.817 OPS). I think the kid will be just fine...and the Braves will be regretting losing control of that age 29 season.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Folks focusing on Swanson "not being ready" are missing the point with respect to calling him up being a bad idea. Whether or not he was "ready" has nothing to do with it being the wrong decision. Frankly, there doesn't need to be any reason other than the fact it was stupid to call up a potential franchise cornerstone to a non-contending team and losing control over his age 29 season. Hopefully we don't see them make the same mistake with Albies...and then Acuna.

And don't look now, but over the last 2 weeks Swanson's line has been .294/.405/.412 (.817 OPS). I think the kid will be just fine...and the Braves will be regretting losing control of that age 29 season.
    I agree.. but I still think the Braves know they are going to sign him long term and that will not play a factor. I understand control and cost savings. I am saying they are only concerned with Swanson learning at the highest level and inking him to a LONGGGG contract within the next few years. Not 5-10 million it might cost them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If we were above .500 after the All-Star break and there is a spot in the lineup for Albies and he has been playing well in AAA, I would be ok with calling him up this year.
    Agreed. Calling a potential cornerstone player to the MLB level has to be predicated on

1. The guy is doing well (not "ok") in the upper minors (aka "he is ready"), and
    2. An every day MLB role appears either through poor performance, injury, or trade, and one of

3a. The prospect is at an age he is already controlled through his 20s, or
    3b. The team is projected to be a solid playoff contender and needs all the win it can get

The Swanson promotion failed to satisfy points 1, and 3a/b, and was a complete bonehead move by the good ol' boys club in Atlanta.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I agree.. but I still think the Braves know they are going to sign him long term and that will not play a factor. I understand control and cost savings. I am saying they are only concerned with Swanson learning at the highest level and inking him to a LONGGGG contract within the next few years. Not 5-10 million it might cost them.
    Then in 2023 when the Braves are trying to compete with the newly resurgent Phillies who have tons more money than the Braves, we will see how much the Braves wish they had that extra $10M to upgrade the roster. When the Braves fail to sign that platoon-mate for some position, or fail to land the 2 WAR pitcher to plug a hole in the rotation, or fail to sign that elite LOOGY to shut down Ryan Howard v2.0, we can all point back to the Swanson promotion as the reason why.

And I'm sure the posi-Braves will still defend it even then.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I've always doubt that Swanson is a "franchise cornerstone."

I saw little reason to call up someone that was struggling at AA.

I saw little reason to do that when it started his clock.

I think if he's an above average talent, he'll probably be able to figure things out at the MLB level. And if he has to do that from the 8 slot, that's not big deal either. That's how a lot of guys start and I mostly don't believe in the idea that you permanently stunt a player by his going through a little adversity.

I haven't really changed my view of his upside. HE could still be an above average SS. He could still be marginal. I'm not really sure about all the hype and I'm not really sure about the doom and gloom based on a month.

At the end of the day though, I don't think contract and control should be the only guiding light for an organization. But it should be a factor and I think you've identified some other factors in your posts that are correct.

If Swanson had been dominating AA maybe it would have made some sense. I'd have given him the same cup of coffee Ruiz got, I think, if I'd been making the decisions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    me too, but I am not personally seeing anything negative about him learning at the highest level either. The biggest argument is the clock and once they lock him up to a multi year contract at a team friendly rate, that will be gone too. The FO had their reason to call him up. regardless of what internet GM's say, they measured the pros and cons carefully and made a decision based on that. They are not stupid because of it.
    no they didnt...JC said the thought didn't cross his mind until one day Hart suggested it out of the blue...the decision was bad and the decision making process even worse
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-17-2017 at 11:49 AM.