Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: GDT: 5/17 Braves vs Blue Jays

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I'm on board with this 99.9 percent of the time. Just think it was horrible timing for him to do it considering as much as they'd pissed the Braves off with multiple HBPs and up and in pitches, plus they'd just knocked our franchise star out for a significant amount of time. Add in that tensions were already high, and that bat flip was more pronounced than Bautista's usual ones.
    even then I just don't care, its just a bat flip - do I think its smart? No not really, but just get the dude out and you don't have to worry about it. Be offended that you gave up a home run, not that he's celebrating it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    celebrate, have fun.. but when you are getting your ass kicked by a bad team for the 3rd straight night.. maybe 'celebrating' is going to look sorta selfish. Not sure I would be all in the mood to 'celebrate' my individual accomplishment when I know my team is bad and losing yet again. but maybe I am just a boring white guy..

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    even then I just don't care, its just a bat flip - do I think its smart? No not really, but just get the dude out and you don't have to worry about it. Be offended that you gave up a home run, not that he's celebrating it.
    Of course, as fans we don't care. It's a little different down there on the field. Easy to sit back and say "Be a robot." The score was 8-3 when Bautista hit his HR. If it had been a crucial hit in the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't have faulted him for doing sommersaults around the bases. I'm not going to say what he did was classless, but given how the game had unfolded, it was kind of stupid.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I'm not saying its smart or a 'good optics' to flip the bat in that situation, what I'm saying is the reaction it gets is completely overboard.

How many football games have we seen where a safety lights up a WR after giving up a 30 yard reception, then gets up and celebrates like he did something good? Its silly, but the offensive players don't come back on the next play and spear him.

Baseball players as a whole are the biggest babies in sports, literally everything seems to offend them.
    Last edited by Preacher; 05-18-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Why does celebrating a hr bother everyone, but acting a fool after a double is cool?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I'm not saying its smart or a 'good optics' to flip the bat in that situation, what I'm saying is the reaction it gets is completely overboard.

How many football games have we seen where a safety lights up a WR after giving up a 30 yard reception, then gets up and celebrates like he did something good? Its silly, but the offensive players don't come back on the next play and spear him.

Baseball players as a whole are the biggest babies in sports, literally everything seems to offend them.
    The Braves' reaction must also be viewed in context. 6 hit by pitches before Freeman gets hit. Pillar's hissy fit. Maybe Peterson and Suzuki don't react at all if none of the above had happened. Context matters. And I think context will lead to some retaliation tonight.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Suck it up. The Braves are always classy. Yeah the jerk did a bat flip stare down. So even if you don't think there was anything wrong, they freaking hit our players, we didn't complain. I love more emotion about it. Sorry to JoeyBats apologist but he'd have a fastball in his ear hole. Then again, I don't like jawing back forth. Throw knuckles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Isn't tulo gonna be back tonight? Drill him and let the fight commence

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You dirty dog.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    This is the one time I hope Snitker manages like an old school manager and orders Viz to drill Pillar or Tulo.
    Forever Fredi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Garmel (05-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    If I was Bautista, I'd have my hammy tighten up on me for this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Like button. Go ahead to ruin their season too
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Major League Baseball is investigating whether Kevin Pillar used a homophobic slur during a heated on-field exchange Wednesday with Braves reliever Jason Motte.
    Motte threw a quick-pitch to strike out Pillar in the top of the seventh inning and the Blue Jays center fielder took offense. If the evidence proves he used homophobic language when confronting Motte, a suspension could be coming. Yunel Escobar was suspended three games by the Blue Jays in 2012 after taking the field with a derogatory term for homosexuals inscribed on his eye-black.
    Source: Sportsnet.caMay 18 - 11:37 AM
    Ivermectin Man

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Major League Baseball is investigating whether Kevin Pillar used a homophobic slur during a heated on-field exchange Wednesday with Braves reliever Jason Motte.
    Motte threw a quick-pitch to strike out Pillar in the top of the seventh inning and the Blue Jays center fielder took offense. If the evidence proves he used homophobic language when confronting Motte, a suspension could be coming. Yunel Escobar was suspended three games by the Blue Jays in 2012 after taking the field with a derogatory term for homosexuals inscribed on his eye-black.
    Source: Sportsnet.caMay 18 - 11:37 AM
    http://www.mobypicture.com/user/agrabia/view/19841680

I mean, there's no doubt.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

Tell that to guys like Odell Beckham. Football is non-stop trash talk and cheap shots. The big difference between football and baseball is football is far more dynamic. Guys get their revenge in all the time within the play. Don't really have that opportunity in baseball because the transgressions are much more out in the open.

As for African-Americans shying away from baseball, the "code" is probably at the bottom of the list. Inner city baseball programs have been decimated and it usually costs money to be on traveling teams in the summer. If you're poor, you're SOL. Much easier and cheaper to grab the basketball and head down to the outdoor court.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    Is it that HIT tournament in Hanahan?
    We played in that one too..
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Tell that to guys like Odell Beckham. Football is non-stop trash talk and cheap shots. The big difference between football and baseball is football is far more dynamic. Guys get their revenge in all the time within the play. Don't really have that opportunity in baseball because the transgressions are much more out in the open.

As for African-Americans shying away from baseball, the "code" is probably at the bottom of the list. Inner city baseball programs have been decimated and it usually costs money to be on traveling teams in the summer. If you're poor, you're SOL. Much easier and cheaper to grab the basketball and head down to the outdoor court.
    Exactly. This notion that this kind of stuff doesn't happen in the NFL is a false one, as I already pointed out in another thread. It happens in every sport.