Flowers C
    Swanson SS

That's stacked. But, I'm pretty sure he can't play third ��
    So now Inciarte has to cover for Kemp/Markakis AND Adams?? haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Would Freddie be a better 3B? Certainly has the arm for it.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Aaaaaand here we go haha!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I think Adams is going to make more sense financially for a team that can give him 400 starts.

Hopefully, the Braves can get a good prospect out of him. Holding on to him to be a bench bat would be ok too, but maybe not optimal.

Maybe Harry will be along to talk about trading Freddie as an alternative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I know Freddie isn't going to play 3b. Even if Freddie was a better defender at 3b than Adams I know they won't move him.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    About 3/4 of the American League is in contention for a playoff spot, so I don't think there will be any problem finding a landing spot for Adams if they decide to move him at the deadline.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Matt Adams has not improved his value in any appreciable way.

His .930 OPS with the Braves is fueled by an insanely inflated 29.6% HR/FB rate. That is about 2x what we can normally expect from him. He hasn't altered his batted ball profile. He hasn't altered his contact or walk rates. Once he stops hitting nearly 1/3 of his FBs for HRs, his OPS will normalize back down into the high .700s.

No competent FO will be fooled by ~100 PAs with an inflated HR/FB rate and give up anything more than their version of Yepez for Matt Adams. Hold onto him, and use him as a good/great bat off the bench for a hopefully much improved Braves team in 2018.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    About 3/4 of the American League is in contention for a playoff spot, so I don't think there will be any problem finding a landing spot for Adams if they decide to move him at the deadline.
    We would have zero trouble selling him... the problem I have, is he worth keeping. If we have some sibilance of a starting rotation next year and if we can do something about RF, then we can compete for a WC spot and keeping Adams is worth it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Matt Adams has not improved his value in any appreciable way.

His .930 OPS with the Braves is fueled by an insanely inflated 29.6% HR/FB rate. That is about 2x what we can normally expect from him. He hasn't altered his batted ball profile. He hasn't altered his contact or walk rates. Once he stops hitting nearly 1/3 of his FBs for HRs, his OPS will normalize back down into the high .700s.

No competent FO will be fooled by ~100 PAs with an inflated HR/FB rate and give up anything more than their version of Yepez for Matt Adams. Hold onto him, and use him as a good/great bat off the bench for a hopefully much improved Braves team in 2018.

you over estimate the FO's in baseball.. especially at the deadline.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    We would have zero trouble selling him... the problem I have, is he worth keeping. If we have some sibilance of a starting rotation next year and if we can do something about RF, then we can compete for a WC spot and keeping Adams is worth it.
    Here is a list of team OPS posted by guys playing 1B, in descending order:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_...PS/order/false

The only contender Adams would be a clear upgrade for would be the Yankees, and possibly the Dodgers. I doubt the Yankees are going to give up on Bird so soon, and the Dodgers have Adrian Gonzales entrenched.

Who exactly needs a high .700s OPS at 1B? If the need for Adams was so great, why did the Braves get him for a fungible asset?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Here is a list of team OPS posted by guys playing 1B, in descending order:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_...PS/order/false

The only contender Adams would be a clear upgrade for would be the Yankees, and possibly the Dodgers. I doubt the Yankees are going to give up on Bird so soon, and the Dodgers have Adrian Gonzales entrenched.

Who exactly needs a high .700s OPS at 1B? If the need for Adams was so great, why did the Braves get him for a fungible asset?
    I think that's fair. You'd also need to look at DH for american league teams too.

This is a situation where the most likely scenario is he goes back to being a bench bat like he was for the Cardinals. IF someone gets pressed at the deadline maybe we get lucky. Over the winter there might be more of a need. But I would not give him a way. And you're right that it's unlikely anyone offers anything useful. There is always the deadline next year too. You never know how injuries fall and desperation mounts.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think that's fair. You'd also need to look at DH for american league teams too.

This is a situation where the most likely scenario is he goes back to being a bench bat like he was for the Cardinals. IF someone gets pressed at the deadline maybe we get lucky. Over the winter there might be more of a need. But I would not give him a way. And you're right that it's unlikely anyone offers anything useful. There is always the deadline next year too. You never know how injuries fall and desperation mounts.
    The Stankees is where I see the best fit.. Great farm and adding a LH power bat to that lineup would help them a lot.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    The Stankees is where I see the best fit.. Great farm and adding a LH power bat to that lineup would help them a lot.
    Why couldn't they just put Holiday in at 1B? I guess Adams gives them a LH/RH option for cheap.

I thought I read they were desperate to get rid of Headley at 3B. After this year he's owed 1 year a 13 million. Maybe you get a decent piece if you give them Adams and take on the last year of Headley. Not sure the Braves want to burn 13 million when they think they might be competing. I'd do it if I got a piece I liked. It's just one million more than Colon is getting.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Why couldn't they just put Holiday in at 1B? I guess Adams gives them a LH/RH option for cheap.

I thought I read they were desperate to get rid of Headley at 3B. After this year he's owed 1 year a 13 million. Maybe you get a decent piece if you give them Adams and take on the last year of Headley. Not sure the Braves want to burn 13 million when they think they might be competing. I'd do it if I got a piece I liked. It's just one million more than Colon is getting.
    Adams would slot in as a DH/1B. Just gives them more LH pop..

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Adams makes sense to alot of teams in the AL. Under contract cheap next year.

But i kinda agree with Sheff that i might just keep him for 2018, use him as bench/depth.

But deadline, there are desperate teams.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    In late July, I'd love for this headline to read "Adams traded to AL contender for great prospect."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    We might very well need to give the Cards a hug at the trade deadline. They have given us our two best trade chips in Adams and Garcia, and we gave very little for either of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The plan that makes the most sense when Freddie come back is to play Adams a couple games a week at corner outfield. We might find out he is completely inadequate there (in a way that makes Kemp look like a gold glover). Or we might discover that relative to Markakis the better offense more than offsets the loss on defense. We should try to find out.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (06-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The plan that makes the most sense when Freddie come back is to play Adams a couple games a week at corner outfield. We might find out he is completely inadequate there (in a way that makes Kemp look like a gold glover). Or we might discover that relative to Markakis the better offense more than offsets the loss on defense. We should try to find out.
    This

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would be fine with that.. but RF? I am ready to replace the slow, noodle arm, singles hitter.. so maybe he could hang in RF..