Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Acquire Matt Adams From Cardinals

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think the issue is not the FO lacking an understanding of what you have pointed out. It is the FO indulging a star player who does not understand the above.

I hope we resume the Adams in the outfield experiment the Cardinals briefly tried. How much worse would Adams be defensively than our current incumbents at corner outfield. I would sit each of them one game a week and let Adams play in their place. Both of them would probably benefit from having a game off every week or so.
    I would prefer to not have Kemp or Adams in LF...ever.

Alas, that is another discussion about another set of terrible moves made by the FO in another failed attempt at improving the MLB roster. Hopefully they are able to figure it out by 2019 when it really matters.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    The idea that the FO made this decision in deference to Freeman is inane.

Almost as inane as the idea that it was a (transparent) ploy to build Adams' trade value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The idea that the FO made this decision in deference to Freeman is inane.

Almost as inane as the idea that it was a (transparent) ploy to build Adams' trade value.
    the quotes from various parties involved indicate Freddie drove this
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-05-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    the quotes from various parties involved indicate Freddie drove this
    I haven't seen a single quote remotely supportive of that narrative.

“A couple of weeks ago I mentioned it to say I’d be willing to move over to third base to accommodate Matt,” said Freeman, who fractured his wrist May 17. “He’s obviously been pretty spectacular for us.”

“I had a couple meetings with Hart and Coppy and then we had a meeting with (Braves manager Brian Snitker) too,” Freeman said. “I said I’m completely on board with it, I want to do it, we’ve got to keep Matt’s bat in the lineup and I’ll do anything to win. This is what it came to. I’ve got a couple weeks until I’m back out there so hopefully I can get (acclimated) with third base pretty good.”

http://atlantabraves.blog.ajc.com/20...-about-player/

DOB: In fact, my initial understanding is that he either suggested it himself or immediately said he’d gladly do it when it was suggested as one of the possible otions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I haven't seen a single quote remotely supportive of that narrative.

“A couple of weeks ago I mentioned it to say I’d be willing to move over to third base to accommodate Matt,” said Freeman, who fractured his wrist May 17. “He’s obviously been pretty spectacular for us.”

“I had a couple meetings with Hart and Coppy and then we had a meeting with (Braves manager Brian Snitker) too,” Freeman said. “I said I’m completely on board with it, I want to do it, we’ve got to keep Matt’s bat in the lineup and I’ll do anything to win. This is what it came to. I’ve got a couple weeks until I’m back out there so hopefully I can get (acclimated) with third base pretty good.”

http://atlantabraves.blog.ajc.com/20...-about-player/

DOB: In fact, my initial understanding is that he either suggested it himself or immediately said he’d gladly do it when it was suggested as one of the possible otions.
    seems to me you've just offered support for my contention

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-05-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    seems to me you've just offered support for my contention
    Certainly I don't need to explain the difference between Freeman suggesting the move and Freeman 'driving' the move. And, according O'Brien, it's possible that he didn't suggest it at all.

We're talking about two different plot lines here, and yours is as fantastical as the one in your sig.

That being said, I'm actually much more interested in seeing you flesh out your theory that Coppolella is 'indulging' Freeman by allowing him to play at 3B. It's sloppy; fails to explain why Freeman would want to move to 3B, insults the FO's authority and intelligence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Certainly I don't need to explain the difference between Freeman suggesting the move and Freeman 'driving' the move. And, according O'Brien, it's possible that he didn't suggest it at all.

We're talking about two different plot lines here, and yours is as fantastical as the one in your sig.

That being said, I'm actually much more interested in seeing you flesh out your theory that Coppolella is 'indulging' Freeman by allowing him to play at 3B. It's sloppy; fails to explain why Freeman would want to move to 3B, insults the FO's authority and intelligence.
    I'm waiting to see Coppy say something to subtly or not so subtly disassociate himself from this whole project...just as he has done with some of the more boneheaded moves sponsored by the other johns

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Freeman suggesting/offering is how much different than him driving it? That's splitting hairs. I don't see how it's fanatical to suggest this was something Freddie really wanted to try.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I'm waiting to see Coppy say something to subtly or not so subtly disassociate himself from this whole project...just as he has done with some of the more boneheaded moves sponsored by the other johns
    This board is full of kids trying to catch the professor making a spelling mistake on the blackboard. You're dealing with an instance of it now.

You are 100% correct in every aspect of this topic. Coppy is likely deferring to the old guys here, just like he did with the Swanson promotion.

Coppy might very well be smarter than I give him credit for, but is constantly handcuffed by the few stone aged remnants in the FO.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Well if he does, feel free to remind me of this disagreement. I see your logic, I just don't see it evidenced.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Freeman suggesting/offering is how much different than him driving it? That's splitting hairs. I don't see how it's fanatical to suggest this was something Freddie really wanted to try.
    Clearly this is something that Freeman wanted to try. That's obvious.

What's in question here is whether or not the FO is letting him try it simply to appease/indulge him (the implication being that it's not something that they fully embrace) or if he suggested it and they said, "Hey, that might actually be a good idea. You should give it a whirl."

I don't see that as splitting hairs, I see that as a crucial distinction to make.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    btw I give Freeman credit for volunteering to do this...i just think the front office should have thanked him and told him they would find other ways to get Adams some at bats

"I am your retribution."

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This board is full of kids trying to catch the professor making a spelling mistake on the blackboard. You're dealing with an instance of it now.

You are 100% correct in every aspect of this topic. Coppy is likely deferring to the old guys here, just like he did with the Swanson promotion.

Coppy might very well be smarter than I give him credit for, but is constantly handcuffed by the few stone aged remnants in the FO.
    It genuinely surprises me to see you try and cling to such a poorly constructed position.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-04-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Freddie is a free man. He could have easily declined the FO's offer being he's their most valuable player and highest paid.
    Forever Fredi

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-05-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

You must be reading different DOB quotes...

"And of course there’s the situation at first base: The Braves traded for Matt Adams to serve as a fill-in while Freeman was on the DL, but Adams has been such an offensive force that the Braves are ready to let Freeman play third base – it was Freeman’s idea – on a temporary basis in order to keep Adams in the lineup rather than move his power bat to the bench."

http://www.myajc.com/sports/baseball...piYzNafzLymTJ/
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    It genuinely surprises me to see you try and cling to such a poorly constructed position.
    It doesn't surprise me that it surprises you, considering you're the guy who tried to counter a point by disagreeing about what "suggesting the move" and "driving the move" means. Nsacpi is smarter than you, and he's right, so just accept that fact and move on.

Like I said, you're the kid in class trying to point out the professor's spelling mistakes so you can pat yourself on the back for being "right". Then your less intelligent friend in class, Garmel, cheers you on by thanking your contrarian posts.

So good job! Pat. Pat.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,324 Posts
    I love living rent free in people's minds.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-05-2017), Hawk (07-05-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Certainly I don't need to explain the difference between Freeman suggesting the move and Freeman 'driving' the move.
    I actually do think you need to explain how they're meaningfully different, because if this wasn't something the FO had considered prior to Freeman suggesting it, then I'd say he'd be pretty fairly called the "driver" of the experiment.
    Last edited by jpx7; 07-05-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I actually do think you need to explain how they're meaningfully different, because if this wasn't something the FO had considered prior to Freeman suggesting it, then I'd say he'd be pretty fairly called the "driver" of the experiment.
    There's a distinction between Freeman being the catalyst for the change (my interpretation of 'the driver') and Freeman proactively pushing (driving) the change.
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-05-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It doesn't surprise me that it surprises you, considering you're the guy who tried to counter a point by disagreeing about what "suggesting the move" and "driving the move" means. Nsacpi is smarter than you, and he's right, so just accept that fact and move on.

Like I said, you're the kid in class trying to point out the professor's spelling mistakes so you can pat yourself on the back for being "right". Then your less intelligent friend in class, Garmel, cheers you on by thanking your contrarian posts.

So good job! Pat. Pat.
    I'm sorry that the English language confounds you ... but that's all you've got? Really? Keep up.
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-05-2017 at 04:49 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-05-2017)