Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Acquire Matt Adams From Cardinals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    But think about it - we're talking about this being good because we could potentially move him...a guy we just moved a prospect to get. So that we can only be pretty bad for the next 2 months?
    Whoa, whoa, whoa... we've won 3 straight series (assuming today is done) and in sole possession of 2nd place in the east. We're a contender and last I checked it's 2017.

Ok, maybe we aren't a contender, but like someone said above we obviously don't think too much of yepez to make this trade

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    Not sure how anyone could have a problem with this trade. At all.
    Different people have different opinions. Crazy, I know.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Next year the bench will be Adams, SRod and DPete. Three guys with power that can change the game on a swing.

You gripe because they don't do anything to help the bench, and they make a dual purpose trade that solves one problem now and another down the road. You gripe

It's not like we traded Touki for Matt Adams. If they traded him, then coaches and scouts that have seen him WAY more than any of us deemed him a movable asset.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (05-20-2017), blueagleace1 (05-20-2017), clvclv (05-23-2017), JohnAdcox (05-20-2017), Knucksie (05-21-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Adams is a replacement-level player. We're not likely to get someone with Yepez's potential back in a deal. And I'm fairly confident we'll keep him for 2018 anyway.
    It's obvious you like Yepez quite a bit, but I haven't seen him as some kind of "can't miss'" guy. He's not on mlb's Top 30 Braves' prospects. Sickels gives him a C. He's only 19, but I think he's probably got a pretty steep hill to climb. In Yepez' favor, the Cards seem to do a better job developing hitters than we do.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I don't like it unless he's a really good ph

Didn't he fail terribly in the of? We are going to carry him as a bench bat next year?

I don't like giving up a teenager for 10-12 weeks of a 70 something win team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Although we're giving up a prospect in a year where it seems we have little hope of making the playoffs, I'm good with this decision. Yepez is pretty fringy, and I can respect the FO's strategy of trying to show the players and the fans that we're really trying to win as many games as possible this year. With the new CBA and our July 2 penalty state, there is just not that much benefit in a tanking approach. And as others have mentioned, it's not hard to see a scenario where Adams builds some value with this opportunity to play in a nice hitters park in the middle of the order on a nearly full-time basis.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Next year the bench will be Adams, SRod and DPete. Three guys with power that can change the game on a swing.

You gripe because they don't do anything to help the bench, and they make a dual purpose trade that solves one problem now and another down the road. You gripe

It's not like we traded Touki for Matt Adams. If they traded him, then coaches and scouts that have seen him WAY more than any of us deemed him a movable asset.
    We would be idiots to have Peterson on the bench. He's young he has to play

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post

Are you talking to me? I haven't said anything about our bench. I never saw this as a year we were legitimately trying to compete.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I agree, but unless they trade Nick or Kemp...that's where he will be. It's where he would most likely be right now if he would not have been hurt.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It's obvious you like Yepez quite a bit, but I haven't seen him as some kind of "can't miss'" guy. He's not on mlb's Top 30 Braves' prospects. Sickels gives him a C. He's only 19, but I think he's probably got a pretty steep hill to climb. In Yepez' favor, the Cards seem to do a better job developing hitters than we do.
    I'm not in love with Yepez. But he's 19 and has lost time due to injuries. Still has talent in his bat.

I just don't know why we gave up anything. Winning an extra game or two somewhere, and it's doubtful Adams even does that, is meaningless.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Are you talking to me? I haven't said anything about our bench. I never saw this as a year we were legitimately trying to compete.
    Nah not you...I'm just saying in general we (including me) gripe about the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    I could give a **** about Yepez. It's the motivation for this move by the Braves that's laughable. He should've already been on our bench as pinch hitter/backup 1B/someone with a pulse. But, to make this move now because you want to keep up the charade is pathetic.

But, it's really a stupid thing to complain about because a good move is a good move, regardless of the intentions.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (05-20-2017), Hawk (05-20-2017), JohnAdcox (05-20-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I could give a **** about Yepez. It's the motivation for this move by the Braves that's laughable. He should've already been on our bench as pinch hitter/backup 1B/someone with a pulse. But, to make this move now because you want to keep up the charade is pathetic.

But, it's really a stupid thing to complain about because a good move is a good move, regardless of the intentions.
    Pretty much lol. Adams has some upside...maybe. Either way, he will fill in nicely for Freddie and be a good PH. I have given up on the charade part. They always say they are doing the best they can to win every year. They will not ever change their tune. The dog and pony show is alive and well, but at least we will have a better bench at some point.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I'm not in love with Yepez. But he's 19 and has lost time due to injuries. Still has talent in his bat.

I just don't know why we gave up anything. Winning an extra game or two somewhere, and it's doubtful Adams even does that, is meaningless.
    I guess I'm not seeing the upside. He's missed time due to injuries, but he's sub-.700 OPS this season and he's repeating Low A. And this was after a pretty hot start. He's not a 3B, so he's going to have to hit and the early returns aren't that encouraging.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (05-20-2017), DirkPiggler (05-20-2017), Garmel (05-20-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    You can look at this as a move necessitated primarily by Freeman's injury, but it's not like the Braves couldn't have desperately used an impact bat off the bench and a legitimate sub at 1B for Freeman anyways. He's organizational filler (also needed) at absolute worst. It's just really hard for me to dislike this move, even while acknowledging that this team is probably not a winner and while valuing our positional prospects higher than most.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-23-2017), CyYoung31 (05-20-2017), DirkPiggler (05-20-2017), Garmel (05-20-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    What liklihood does Yepez have of even makin the majors? The trade could come back to bite the braves but it's highly unlikely.

The team has a chance of competing for a second wild card. I know people don't see it but the pitching has severely underperformed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post

Very fair asessment.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    Not sure how anyone could have a problem with this trade. At all.
    Agree. Watch us flip him for a better prospect in July.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    If the FO had put together a properly constructed bench (with a player like Kelly Johnson for example) there would in all likelihood be no perceived need to acquire Adams.

Another observation I would make is that baseball as an industry has come to a much better understanding of the value of players like Chris Carter and Matt Adams.

My third observation is if it is likely that Adonis Garcia will be coming of the DL after the minimum ten days, it would have made sense to try a combination of Ruiz/Garcia/Jace at third and first rather than acquiring Adams.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I guess I'm not seeing the upside. He's missed time due to injuries, but he's sub-.700 OPS this season and he's repeating Low A. And this was after a pretty hot start. He's not a 3B, so he's going to have to hit and the early returns aren't that encouraging.
    He hit very well in rookie ball at 17 and only got 100 PA last year while dealing with injuries. Pretty hard to say he is repeating the level.

We'll see what he does, but he was highly regarded when he signed and showed why in his only full healthy season.