Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Yeah, but we gave up a lot to get those guys !!! ��
    Warning...Drug induced euphoria coming:

If Kemp/Phillips/Adams/even throw in Garcia (SP) keep the current pace through June. The Braves FO is going to have a tough choice on their hands. We will likely be aroung 500 but probably also 5-7 in NL playoff rankings (unlikely to squeeze out WC). Do you sell or do you buy?

- Adams at 1B with a 1.0+OPS could fetch something pretty good
    - Phillips at .300+BA could fetch something decent
    - Garcia back at his consistent 3rd starter, ground ball inducing, frustrating SP could get us something decent also

What a problem to have...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesguy For This Useful Post:

Preacher (05-24-2017), UNCBlue012 (05-24-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I mean...the front office needs to make up their minds on if they want to win or not. Giving up so many valuable pieces for this trash hurts the rebuild.
    Do we really want to do this? Would you like me, when Adams is scuffling, Yepez is hitting, and the Braves are not in contention, to come back and say, 'Good thing we gave up a prospect so we could win 74 games!!'?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Do we really want to do this? Would you like me, when Adams is scuffling, Yepez is hitting, and the Braves are not in contention, to come back and say, 'Good thing we gave up a prospect so we could win 94 games!!'?
    FTFY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Do we really want to do this? Would you like me, when Adams is scuffling, Yepez is hitting, and the Braves are not in contention, to come back and say, 'Good thing we gave up a prospect so we could win 74 games!!'?
    That's going to happen by many on this board. Might as well jump in.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So I guess nobody is missing Yepez at this point?
    we traded him four days ago?

Adams has been great so far, obviously rooting for that to continue!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-24-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post

If Kemp/Phillips/Adams/even throw in Garcia (SP) keep the current pace through June. The Braves FO is going to have a tough choice on their hands. We will likely be aroung 500 but probably also 5-7 in NL playoff rankings (unlikely to squeeze out WC). Do you sell or do you buy?

- Garcia back at his consistent 3rd starter, ground ball inducing, frustrating SP could get us something decent also

I SELL. SELL. SELL. SELL. I just don't see us being good enough to stay within reach of the top WC teams, so whats the point? I'm not saying go into 'tank-mode', but I think hanging onto guys that don't factor into our long-range plan but could net decent prospects would be a complete waste.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I think Adams will become the best power hitter in baseball , while adapting to third base and becoming a gold glover....leading the Braves(along with Freddie) to the World Series and winning by taking a 0-2 pitch off Chris Sale for a 3 run shot in the 9th in game 7.

I'm just trying to keep a level head about things...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

buck75 (05-24-2017), UNCBlue012 (05-24-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

No really....you absolutely sell.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Coppy has stated (take it for what it's worth, probably not much) that they will not be trading anyone else for prospects. That time has passed. They are in "win soon" mode, so would only trade for MLB-ready players at this point. That seems to be baring out with the recent trades of our prospects for MLB talent (ie. Kemp, Phillips, Adams, etc.).

Oddly enough, the hitters are doing better than the pitchers we've picked up. So are we overrating our scouting of pitching? Small sample size I suppose, and low risk acquisitions on both sides of the ball while we wait for the youngsters to show up.
    Last edited by DaneHill; 05-24-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts

Yeah, as nice as it is to see their production... I have a hard time believing we will be anything close to a threat in the playoff race. These guys are all replaceable and I would hope to turn them into some young value. I'm not sure about Adams though... there's a chance we've found some real value here... especially in our park.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Coppy has stated (take it for what it's worth, probably not much) that they will not be trading anyone else for prospects. That time has passed. They are in "win soon" mode, so would only trade for MLB-ready players at this point. That seems to be baring out with the recent trades of our prospects for MLB talent (ie. Kemp, Phillips, Adams, etc.).

Oddly enough, the hitters are doing better than the pitchers we've picked up. So are we overrating our scouting of pitching? Small sample size I suppose, and low risk acquisitions on both sides of the ball while we wait for the youngsters to show up.
    1) He shouldn't have said that
    2) You shouldn't believe that
    3) No team in baseball should rule out trading players for a reasonable return

Honestly, folks need to stop taking the front office's marketing talk so seriously. They clearly want the fans to believe they are done selling and I think they mean that as far as they have no intention of trading long term pieces of the team for prospects. But there ain't no way that should apply to guys with a half year left on their contract, particularly when there are ready replacements coming up.

For example, Brandon Phillips and a theoretically mashing Matt Adams could very well be moved without affecting the ability of the team to contend. Similarly, one of the starting pitchers could be moved to promote a Kris Medlen or a prospect or to accommodate a new acquisition.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Doesn't Philips have a restrictive list of teams not to be traded to, per contract anyway?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Doesn't Philips have a restrictive list of teams not to be traded to, per contract anyway?
    Pretty sure the trade to Braves negated his prior no-trade clause, but I think they may have agreed to a less restrictive list at the time of trade. Could be making that up.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I can see the Braves trading players like Brandon Phillips once Ozzie Albies is ready. Markakis if Peterson is ready. The pitchers if they feel the prospects are ready. The front office know that if they feel in contention for a wild card they may trade for a Archer or Quintana. Let's enjoy the ride.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    While this isn't a likely playoff team yet, we can see the shell of one starting to form.

The bench, for example, could consist of Adams, Suzuki, Garcia, Jace and a RHed hitting 4th OFer like Lane Adams once Freeman is healthy again. Suddenly, we are looking at a real MLB-quality bench.

Albies is looking like he is finally bouncing back from his elbow injury, and Swanson looks like he is starting to adjust to the league's first adjustments on him.

An infield of Freeman, Albies, Swanson and a Ruiz/Garcia platoon is probably good for 12+ WAR. An OF of Markakis, Inciarte, Kemp, and an intelligently deployed 4th OFer (which hasn't happened yet) is probably good for ~6 WAR. It is not hard to envision the position players as a group being average or slightly better next season.

It's all going to come down to the progression of the young pitchers. The failure of Blair, Wisler, Jenkins and to some extent Folty to progress over the last 1+ seasons has already set this rebuild back at least 1 season. The next wave of Sims and Newcomb don't look to be much more promising, so 2018 contention is unlikely as well. The wave of guys currently in AA look to be the next chance for the Braves to truly compete...in 2019+. By then we will be talking about Acuna being ready to impact the OF, and getting ready to deal with the end of the Teheran era...either through trade or FA.

Maybe that college pitcher wouldn't be such a bad idea in the draft. Nah, that's silly talk.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I can see the Braves trading players like Brandon Phillips once Ozzie Albies is ready. Markakis if Peterson is ready. The pitchers if they feel the prospects are ready. The front office know that if they feel in contention for a wild card they may trade for a Archer or Quintana. Let's enjoy the ride.
    Aaaaaand then the discussion spins into this haha.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Why does Dustin Peterson's name always come up as a replacement for Markakis? To my knowledge he has spent very little time in RF. Why would you promote a minor league LF to play RF in the majors. There is no one in the high minors blocking him from RF.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I think Adams will become the best power hitter in baseball , while adapting to third base and becoming a gold glover....leading the Braves(along with Freddie) to the World Series and winning by taking a 0-2 pitch off Chris Sale for a 3 run shot in the 9th in game 7.

I'm just trying to keep a level head about things...
    Don't Bogart my friend!

Seriously, I would sell but only if I were getting back guys AA or above. Our lower minors look to have a fair number of prospects, but we need more guys who are closer to being major league contributors.

Great to see Adams doing well. Nice that he started his stint as a Brave in our new extremely hitter-friendly park, but the guy does know how to hit.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Rodriguez, 32, injured his left shoulder in the crash. He underwent rotator-cuff surgery in February and was expected to miss four to six months, likely the full season. Braves management gave Rodriguez the option of rehabbing in Florida, but he preferred to remain with his new team. He now is rehabbing from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day at SunTrust Park.

“Then again, they’re expecting me to be out the whole year, and I’m not,” said Rodriguez, who reported his rehab is running ahead of schedule. “I told them that from Day One, ‘I’m going to be back. Don’t count me out just yet.’ ”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/p.../201705220161/

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    not quite right there.. We are better than the Pirates, Giants and Pads.. but I get what you are saying. However, if the pen is legit and we keep getting hitting contributions from key bats then I feel good about this team.. (not playoff run good).. I think.. wait, I know JT will bounce back and be much better. I love what folty is doing.. Dickey, Colon and Jamie will settle in to 4 ERA guys they really are. Hopefully we get rid of Bonerface when Adonis comes back and leave 3B as a true platoon. That makes 3B a stronger position and our bench a stronger position.
    Kinda the whole point of my post. While it's easy to say this team isn't a "contender" (and I certainly think everyone would agree), it's looking more and more like it will at least be "in the mix" for awhile longer by default if Adams is just what he's always been (more or less) in Freddie's absence. Not because the team is particularly good, but because the other teams are so bad - several of them unexpectedly bad. The fact that they're still hanging around .500 while the starting pitching has been so bad means you should be able to expect a pretty nice improvement when the Pitchers pitch just a bit more like what's on the backs of their baseball cards. If Freeman is good to go by the break, Adams is kept as a bench piece, Swanson can keep making adjustments, and everyone stays relatively healthy, I don't see any reason to change preseason predictions - this team is good enough to flirt with 80 wins, and that's good enough to be "relevant" as far as the fans are concerned.

No one is crazy enough to think it's a team that's close to good enough to make a playoff run (and as badly as it hurts some of the *ricks around here, not even the most rosy-eyed poster has said it was), and likely isn't good enough to even win a playoff series if everything went right, but saying it's not in a better position than several other teams at this point is foolish. The schedule is only going to get better as the season goes on - 33 home games in August and September at the "New Launching Pad" ought to be nice, and September is chock full of games against the Mutts, Phillies, and Fish..
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?