Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Acquire Matt Adams From Cardinals

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Well if they draft that 1B prospect at #5 to save money to sign an injured pitching prospect at #41...I think the bashing will justifiably continue.
    And I'll be part of it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-23-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Always funny to see the overreactions either way. In the end, Adams LOOSELY fills the void left by Freeman (power-hiting lefty 1B) until Freddie returns, and gives the team a slight chance to remain relevant until the deadline.

If you detach the emotion over "trading away a decent prospect when we're not a contender" and really look closely at the standings several things become evident:

1.) The Braves ARE currently in the race - and are there with terrible results from the improved rotation thus far. There are recent signs that the arms are beginning to come around, so it's tough to say that improved pitching without a total black hole in the lineup where Freeman was can't keep this team as competitive (or a little more) as it has been thus far. If the starters stop getting shelled, this team isn't terrible - no matter how badly some folks wish it was.

2.) If you're not a believer in the Brewers (which I'm not) and think the Cubs are eventually going to run them down when they finally do get hot, and you're not a big believer in the Diamondbacks (which most here haven't seemed to be), and figure the Dodgers will eventually put them where most think they belong, it's pretty tough to say that the Braves don't have at least as good a shot at backing into a wildcard slot IF they can just stay afloat until Freeman returns. Name one of these teams that you actually believe in more...

Pittsburgh (with all their problems)
    Colorado (does anyone really believe all THEIR young pitching can keep this up in their park???)
    San Francisco (without MadBum)
    The Mutts (with all their injuries)
    St. Louis (something just seems to be missing with them - just can't seem to put a finger on it)

3.) None of us really have any idea what they have in mind with Adams in the long run. Assuming he actually is retained when Freddie gets back, there's no doubt he's a huge upgrade to a bench we've ALL been screaming needed to be upgraded - who gives a *hit that that upgrade comes now rather than before the season started??? He's here now, and he CAN help for awhile if he's kept. It's pretty ridiculous to nitpick over whether or not he's more than a placeholder - before we got him, he was a .330/.352/.600 pinch-hitter with 7 bombs and 28 RBIs in 105 PAs. The fact that he's controllable through next year means they can make Dustin hit his way onto the team, and he won't HAVE to be a bench piece to help the team be more competitive. He won't be NEEDED before Markakis' contract is up. If circumstances change and Peterson eventually forces their hand, they'll be able to get something in return for Markakis and he can play every day (then slide over to LF when Acuna is ready). As several others have mentioned, chances are pretty good that they can get something of similar value to Yepez if they do sell - and the brass knows this. Maybe one of the veteran arms gets hot and you can even package him with one of them at the deadline and get a much better piece, who knows???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-23-2017), Knucksie (05-23-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Maybe clv can write an article about how the Braves can use Adams to trade for an Ace?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Always funny to see the overreactions either way. In the end, Adams LOOSELY fills the void left by Freeman (power-hiting lefty 1B) until Freddie returns, and gives the team a slight chance to remain relevant until the deadline.

If you detach the emotion over "trading away a decent prospect when we're not a contender" and really look closely at the standings several things become evident:

1.) The Braves ARE currently in the race - and are there with terrible results from the improved rotation thus far. There are recent signs that the arms are beginning to come around, so it's tough to say that improved pitching without a total black hole in the lineup where Freeman was can't keep this team as competitive (or a little more) as it has been thus far. If the starters stop getting shelled, this team isn't terrible - no matter how badly some folks wish it was.

2.) If you're not a believer in the Brewers (which I'm not) and think the Cubs are eventually going to run them down when they finally do get hot, and you're not a big believer in the Diamondbacks (which most here haven't seemed to be), and figure the Dodgers will eventually put them where most think they belong, it's pretty tough to say that the Braves don't have at least as good a shot at backing into a wildcard slot IF they can just stay afloat until Freeman returns. Name one of these teams that you actually believe in more...

Pittsburgh (with all their problems)
    Colorado (does anyone really believe all THEIR young pitching can keep this up in their park???)
    San Francisco (without MadBum)
    The Mutts (with all their injuries)
    St. Louis (something just seems to be missing with them - just can't seem to put a finger on it)

3.) None of us really have any idea what they have in mind with Adams in the long run. Assuming he actually is retained when Freddie gets back, there's no doubt he's a huge upgrade to a bench we've ALL been screaming needed to be upgraded - who gives a *hit that that upgrade comes now rather than before the season started??? He's here now, and he CAN help for awhile if he's kept. It's pretty ridiculous to nitpick over whether or not he's more than a placeholder - before we got him, he was a .330/.352/.600 pinch-hitter with 7 bombs and 28 RBIs in 105 PAs. The fact that he's controllable through next year means they can make Dustin hit his way onto the team, and he won't HAVE to be a bench piece to help the team be more competitive. He won't be NEEDED before Markakis' contract is up. If circumstances change and Peterson eventually forces their hand, they'll be able to get something in return for Markakis and he can play every day (then slide over to LF when Acuna is ready). As several others have mentioned, chances are pretty good that they can get something of similar value to Yepez if they do sell - and the brass knows this. Maybe one of the veteran arms gets hot and you can even package him with one of them at the deadline and get a much better piece, who knows???
    I'm not trying to knock your optimism, but 9 out of the 10 combined teams in the NL Cental/NL West have better records than we do right now..... I'm not going to say its impossible to realistically be in the WC race because weird things do happen in sports, but its incredibly unlikely. We are a sub .500 team with Freeman, and now we are going to be better without him for two months?? So, no -- I don't think we are really in the race right now.

And you know what? That's OK. Use this year to trade another group of vets for decent prospects, get some of the young guys valuable innings/at bats and pick up another high draft pick. Having a really bad year while finishing off a rebuild isn't the worst thing, the worst thing is pretending like you're in a race and not using the season as a springboard for upcoming years.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I'm not trying to knock your optimism, but 9 out of the 10 combined teams in the NL Cental/NL West have better records than we do right now..... I'm not going to say its impossible to realistically be in the WC race because weird things do happen in sports, but its incredibly unlikely. We are a sub .500 team with Freeman, and now we are going to be better without him for two months?? So, no -- I don't think we are really in the race right now.

And you know what? That's OK. Use this year to trade another group of vets for decent prospects, get some of the young guys valuable innings/at bats and pick up another high draft pick. Having a really bad year while finishing off a rebuild isn't the worst thing, the worst thing is pretending like you're in a race and not using the season as a springboard for upcoming years.
    not quite right there.. We are better than the Pirates, Giants and Pads.. but I get what you are saying. However, if the pen is legit and we keep getting hitting contributions from key bats then I feel good about this team.. (not playoff run good).. I think.. wait, I know JT will bounce back and be much better. I love what folty is doing.. Dickey, Colon and Jamie will settle in to 4 ERA guys they really are. Hopefully we get rid of Bonerface when Adonis comes back and leave 3B as a true platoon. That makes 3B a stronger position and our bench a stronger position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

The fact that those teams are in the same division helps. They will start beating eachother.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I think we flip Adams at the deadline for Kershaw and we win the whole damn thing. AMIRITE Posibraves?
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Braves are a WC contender!

Posi-Braves assssemmmmbbblllle!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I think we flip Adams at the deadline for Kershaw and we win the whole damn thing. AMIRITE Posibraves?
    Give up a bat for a pitcher? The Braves way.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I didn't mean what approach do we take, I just meant how do we continue to bash them for their approach if they start targeting position players?
    You don't? Why would I bash the FO if they do things I like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    This thread has probably run it self into oblivion.
    Ivermectin Man

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-23-2017), The Chosen One (05-23-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Braves are a WC contender!

Brave's Fans assssemmmmbbblllle!!
    FTFY

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-23-2017), The Chosen One (05-23-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    This thread has probably run it self into oblivion.
    All good things must never come to an end.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-23-2017), The Chosen One (05-23-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    I hoenstly blame Lane Adams for the result of this thread.
    Forever Fredi

20. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-23-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You don't? Why would I bash the FO if they do things I like?
    Sorry, I shouldn't have grouped you in with Enscheff.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

thewupk (05-23-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Sorry, I shouldn't have grouped you in with Enscheff.
    now slow down. while I was stalking Enscheff, I did see thewupk and him playing some Cornhole drinking some hard lemonade. They maybe a bird of a feather..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Which is why the whole "Braves Way" silliness about focusing on developing pitching is nonsense. The Braves dynasty was built on 3 HOF pitchers (1 acquired through draft, trade and FA), and a stable of stud position prospects.

The Braves never were, and are not not now, a pitcher factory. Why they decided to go that route now is a complete mystery.
    I don't think you are correct about their strategy or intentions.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Give up a bat for a pitcher? The Braves way.
    Or a good pitcher for a zero bat

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    now slow down. while I was stalking Enscheff, I did see thewupk and him playing some Cornhole drinking some hard lemonade. They maybe a bird of a feather..
    I'm always up for a game of cornhole

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    they were not gifted Swanson and Ender. They specifically targeted them... used a pitcher Zona wanted and cleaned house... regardless of how much you want to discredit the FO abilities, saying they were gifted is completely wrong.
    For all the slobbering that people do over the Cubs, their major hitting acquisitions were stealing Rizzo in a trade that was every bit as dumb as the D-Back trade and being given the opportunity to pick the best hitter in the draft with Bryant.