Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Acquire Matt Adams From Cardinals

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I think this move is indicative of the types of moves we will be making very soon. I predict some people are going to be very upset about some of the prospects that get traded this summer and again this winter.
    I hope this move isn't indicative of things to come. IF we are trading for guys, they need to have more team control than Adams, otherwise we are just playing for mediocrity. The waves of prospects are coming, but they aren't going to be ready this year or next year. Just be patient for a little bit longer.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-21-2017), jpx7 (05-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    But listen, I totally agree Adams could come here and hit well and be moved for a decent prospect in the end anyway - I get that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Far be for me to rush to 9ers' defense, but every trade - no matter how big or small - includes the typical overreactions and cynical replies.

My personal favorite:

On the other side, there are those who already claim Yepez will never make the majors. He sucks...just because he's gone. So, you can't win either way! To be fair, most of the responses were positive, but the frustration of losing baseball always has to be vented in this forum with a minor trade as a lightning rod.

Yeah, the press corps will be calling for Coppy's head if Adams isn't on the 25 man roster next April.

Woof Woof!

Apparently, it wouldn't have been laughable and pathetic if he'd been a acquired 6 weeks ago. Maybe there weren't any reasonable offers?

Then somebody had to chime in about Kelly not being brought back. Yeah, let's just repeat that same pattern of bringing back ex-Braves/warm bodies, then trying to extract another shot in the dark when deadline day rolls around.
    That's losing one's ****? Really? You must live a very defensive and fragile life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    That's losing one's ****? Really? You must live a very defensive and fragile life
    Some people see things that they want to see...whether or not those things are actually there.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I hope this move isn't indicative of things to come. IF we are trading for guys, they need to have more team control than Adams, otherwise we are just playing for mediocrity. The waves of prospects are coming, but they aren't going to be ready this year or next year. Just be patient for a little bit longer.
    I should have been clearer- I think this moves shows we will be trading prospects for REAL MLB talent very soon, not necessarily for players with little control. If we hadn't traded for Adams or someone similar I'd assume we were waiting to this offseason to reasses. Now I think we are going to be buyers in June/July for a controllable TOR SP or 3b.
    Last edited by Oklahomabrave; 05-21-2017 at 10:21 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I should have been clearer- I think this moves shows we will be trading prospects for REAL MLB talent very soon, not necessarily for players with little control. If we hadn't traded for Adams or someone similar I'd assume we were waiting to this offseason to reasses. Now I think we are going to be buyers in June/July for a controllable TOR SP or 3b.
    It would be incredibly stupid for the Braves to buy MLB talent at the trade deadline. Here's to hoping the FO isn't so dumb they will pay the contender's premium for upgrades this summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It would be incredibly stupid for the Braves to buy MLB talent at the trade deadline. Here's to hoping the FO isn't so dumb they will pay the contender's premium for upgrades this summer.
    They can buy without being stupid. Taking on some salary dumps which would not require much in the way of prospects. I keep coming back to Prado as an example. The fish are motivated to reduce payroll. Prado's contract leaves them with little or no expected surplus value. He fills a need at third.

I'd like to see us be both sellers and buyers at the deadline. We can deal Colon and/or Garcia to create an opening in the rotation for Newcomb and/or Sims. It would make sense to deal Phillips and Suzuki as well if there is any sort of demand. And I would be open to dealing guys we still have control over beyond this year such as Kemp/Markakis/Flowers/Johnson/Vizcaino for the right price.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-21-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I agree

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Those weren't my words. The quoyed comments were overreactions to a minor trade. This wasn't a classic example, but there have been plenty of board meltdowns from trade announcements.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    They can buy without being stupid. Taking on some salary dumps which would not require much in the way of prospects. I keep coming back to Prado as an example. The fish are motivated to reduce payroll. Prado's contract leaves them with little or no expected surplus value. He fills a need at third.

I'd like to see us be both sellers and buyers at the deadline. We can deal Colon and/or Garcia to create an opening in the rotation for Newcomb and/or Sims. It would make sense to deal Phillips and Suzuki as well if there is any sort of demand. And I would be open to dealing guys we still have control over beyond this year such as Kemp/Markakis/Flowers/Johnson/Vizcaino for the right price.
    I do believe we will be buyers and sellers at the deadline. The old school thinking of having to be one or the other isn't smart. You trade from a posiotn of strength and you acuire at a position of need. That can be in the Summer or the Winter. You don't trade for rentals and you don't overpay, otherwise you listen to what makes sense.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    You don't think Yepez is 'close to being in our top-30?' I'd argue that.
    I would as well. I think he's one of the guys in the 25-40 range. Granted, that means he's not a great prospect, but he's worth something.

My issue with the trade is less about giving up Yepez specifically or getting Adams specifically. It's just that I don't get it and am concerned about our motivations. If Adams is a good bench piece that will help us, then why not make this move before the season, as others have said? And if he's not a bench piece we plan on keeping around, then what about our start to the year has led us to believe it is imperative that we keep up appearances of competing, even if it means giving up potential future value?

We clearly only made the move because Freeman went down. Which means we're trying to keep winning games. But if we're trying to win games at the expense of any future value at all, then why wait until Freeman went down to add a piece that could help in some way? I was under the impression we were just making moves that didn't cost any future value to make it look like we're building a team while realizing that 2017 isn't the year. But now we're going to desperately make a move that does give up some future value (even if small) to get someone that won't really help in winning games but at least makes it appear to the fanbase that they're doing something.

Anyway, the plethora of posts I've made about it makes it appear that I care more than I do. I don't like the deal and don't like what it says about our motivations, but at the end of the day, no, Yepez is not a huge piece to give up. So as long as we don't make this a habit, I'm not that concerned about it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Preacher (05-22-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Those weren't my words. The quoyed comments were overreactions to a minor trade. This wasn't a classic example, but there have been plenty of board meltdowns from trade announcements.
    It's an overreaction to state one's opinion? I simply said the trade would become harder to defend if we don't keep Adams around. That doesn't mean it will become impossible to defend, just harder. And I said Adams is a replacement player because he basically is. He's been worth 0.6-0.7 WAR over his last 210 games and below replacement level so far this year. If you want to get upset that he has actually been ever-so-slightly-above replacement level over that span, then you can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It's an overreaction to state one's opinion? I simply said the trade would become harder to defend if we don't keep Adams around. That doesn't mean it will become impossible to defend, just harder. And I said Adams is a replacement player because he basically is. He's been worth 0.6-0.7 WAR over his last 210 games and below replacement level so far this year. If you want to get upset that he has actually been ever-so-slightly-above replacement level over that span, then you can.
    if there has been an overreaction in this thread it has come from the two posters claiming to be seeing it

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Preacher (05-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    if there has been an overreaction in this thread it has come from the two posters claiming to be seeing it
    Yes, instead there should be speculation about what Yepez will earn in 2029.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Yes, instead there should be speculation about what Yepez will earn in 2029.
    its cool...chatter about overreaction has a nice vibe to it...even when the overreaction is imaginary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    There's a difference between trying to win games, and simply trying to have an MLB caliber player playing every position. Fault the Braves for having no backup plan if Freeman goes down. Jace Peterson at 1B is not the answer and they quickly realized that.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (05-22-2017), Hawk (05-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    its cool...chatter about overreaction has a nice vibe to it...even when the overreaction is imaginary
    You'd never recognize it anyway. You're always too busy boosting your post count.

"OMG! A top 30 prospect!"

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    This does partially solve a problem in our bench being completely inept for next year.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    But now we're going to desperately make a move that does give up some future value (even if small) to get someone that won't really help in winning games but at least makes it appear to the fanbase that they're doing something.
    I'm not sure what makes you comfortable saying that Adams won't 'really' help win games. He'll help this team win (likely meaningless) games in 2017, and he could be a fundamental part of a bench which will help this team win (hopefully meaningful) games in 2018.

As for what this deal says about Atlanta's motivations? That's pretty obvious. They are christening a new park, headed into the summer months where (heretofore lackluster) attendance is crucial. They need to put a team on the field that is measurably better than their AAA team that's 30 minutes away, especially since the amount of time between when this team was good and when it was bad gets longer every game. For that reason alone, they need to - at least - pretend they are in contention. At the same time, what better message to send to team itself? The FO instilling confidence in its young core is the right move (even at cost) ... especially when the alternate message reads: 'We didn't feel like you were good enough to repair.'

Now, I agree that the Braves should have made a move like this sooner, but ... meh ... I also don't think they should be carrying Emilio Bonifacio. For whatever reason they seemed content with their bench out of Spring Training. It's not like there wasn't a slew of other options available.

Let's stop acting like the Braves made a panic move by trading away a core (or even semi-core) prospect for a stop-gap option. That's a huge stretch, bordering on fantasy, and I can see why it's caused for some people to label it an overreaction.

The future has not been mortgaged. It's been leveraged.
    Last edited by Hawk; 05-22-2017 at 12:51 PM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (05-22-2017), GovClintonTyree (05-25-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'm not sure what makes you comfortable saying that Adams won't 'really' help win games. He'll help this team win (likely meaningless) games in 2017, and he could be a fundamental part of a bench which will help this team win (hopefully meaningful) games in 2018.

As for what this deal says about Atlanta's motivations? That's pretty obvious. They are christening a new park, headed into the summer months where (heretofore lackluster) attendance is crucial. They need to put a team on the field that is measurably better than their AAA team that's 30 minutes away, especially since the amount of time between when this team was good and when it was bad gets longer every game. For that reason alone, they need to - at least - pretend they are in contention. At the same time, what better message to send to team itself? The FO instilling confidence in its young core is the right move (even at cost) ... especially when the alternate message reads: 'We didn't feel like you were good enough to repair.'

Now, I agree that the Braves should have made a move like this sooner, but ... meh ... I also don't think they should be carrying Emilio Bonifacio. For whatever reason they seemed content with their bench out of Spring Training. It's not like there weren't a slew of other options available.

Let's stop acting like the Braves made a panic move by trading away a core (or even semi-core) prospect for a stop-gap option. That's a huge stretch, bordering on fantasy, and I can see why it's caused for some people to label it an overreaction.

The future has not been mortgaged. It's been leveraged.
    To be fair, they did sign a super bench player for this team, he was just lost for the season. And they made this move after they had a glaring hole in their lineup at the cost of their 35th best prospect or whatever.

I can see the argument for doing absolutely nothing and selling off, but they can still sell off later. I think they made this move because to do otherwise was to announce that they had given up on the season and the team and they are not prepared to do that and perhaps they have good reason beyond this season for not wanting to send that message.

I would have real questions about this had they sent a major piece, but this is the equivalent of Chris Ellis and John Gant to me.